Your Thoughts: Jim Henson's Musical World at Carnegie Hall

Walter White

Reaction score
Supposedly, Luis is in a play in Florida right now and Caroll is at a horror movie convention in Hollywood this weekend. :confused: Yeah, I don't get it either.
I'd think they both would have been there but probably made their other commitments before the show was scheduled.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
I totally wish I would have been able to go to this- sounds like it was pure magic! They totally should have done a huge televised special for this- I'm sure the ratings would go sky high!

capman

Reaction score
I was at the 3:30 show at in row F seat 103. It really was a happy, magical, tearful show that I was honored to be at and possibly never happen again. The show was layed out nicely with adding as much as they could of Jim career within an hour . I have to admit, I got teary eyed when the SS crew came out. I don't know how it sounded in the upper seats, but even 6th row, it was very hard to hear.

Met Joesph Bailey in the hall and told him how I loved his book. He seemed very shocked that i recognized him and very humble.

Now, Iwent to the after after, witht he exception of Brooke Sheilds showing up for 15 min., NO ONE , as I have figured within 20 min of theparty, from any part of the cast showed up ( I took my chances, got a nice gift bag though with a fantastic poster saying "The Art Of Muppets" that appears to be a reproduction from 1980, let me know if you want me to scan it).

SO I asked the vent person, it appeared truly sad, as she was waiting for them as well. I took a chance. HOWEVER, there was a certain ex-wife who wheeled by me to go backstage in the party, yes Jane Henson, who sadly looks to be in bad condition, was whisked away backstage.

I finally said" Oh crap, run tot stage door", only to see Johnny still there and Roscoe ( Gordon) there. I met Rosocoe , he signed my Xmas eve on SS insert and we talked for 10 min - class act and very gentle. Then spotted Kevin Clash across the street, he signed for me, very much in a hurry, understandably. Then was told by toher fans, who were waiting for Steve W., that most of the SS had left ( Sonia looked super hot on stage to this 40 year old!)

For the most part, this show, seeing the muppets live with most of the SS crew was a dream. You would think there would be cameras shooting for a PBS special, but I did not see any. I would have taped with my camera, but their were pages all over telling people to stop taking pictures.

One last thing: for those who saw Jerry Nelson, was he at the 12:30 or the 3:30?

Let us know if you ahve any questions! really fun time!

BIGMuppetFan

Reaction score
This sounds like it was an Awesome Event!! If I was in New York I would so have to attend, I understand the crying and happiness of meeting Muppets, I met David Rudman and Cookie Monster last December 2011 and was a great experience for me. I really wish they taped this show so all us Muppet Fans could have a chance to see it and Possibly own it for ourselves.

Thanks for all the reviews and sharing your experiences with us!! :smile:

Kelonzi

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forums here, but not new to Henson by any stretch of the imagination! Like so many people have said ahead of me, this concert was absolutely amazing... so amazing that I just had to chime in on this topic!

All the recaps have been fabulous (and, frankly, helped jog *my* memory of events, so thanks for that, btw...). I won't do another full recap- just add a few tidbits here and there that I can recall.

I was lucky to get tickets for both performances today with my husband. We're huge fans of Fraggle Rock, so seeing Red, Uncle Matt and (I heard it mentioned- the recently rebuilt?) Wembley was fan-tastic! :coy: A few things I can remember for you fellow Fraggle lovers:

1) Uncle Matt was narrating 'facts' about "Carnegie Cave" to Red and Wembley in his usual fractured style. Mention of it being a large Doozer construction completed 6 weeks ago, used as a summer home for Ma and Pa Gorg (IIRC).
2) To test if it was a Doozer construction or not, Wembley started nibbling on the railing (for the record... it didn't taste good!)
3) To the best of my memory, (and my scribbling in the dark) the medley was:
"Follow Me"/"Pass it On"/"Workin'"/"Let Me Be Your Song"/"Wemblin' Song"/"Closing Theme" <-- Red sang the Gobo parts in "Wemblin'" and Matt sang lead on "Let Me Be Your Song"
4) The image of Jim holding Cantus was hilarious and touching at the same time. Uncle Matt: "Cantus is being kidnapped by a Silly Creature!"

I also wanted to add on the sound issue- 12:30 was pretty bad, but they did get things ironed out for 3:30. Actually, it seemed in general everything went smoother the second go-around.

Oh! Also, a great little ad-lib in the second show-- during "Rubber Ducky" the squeaks weren't coming through on the microphone, so Kevin Clash was making Elmo "SQUEAKY-SQUEAK!" in place of them. This happened in both performances, but during the second one, Steve Whitmire... "altered" the lyrics a bit (making Kevin crack up):

"Rubber Ducky, joy of joys!
When I squeeze you, Elmo makes noise!" :stick_out_tongue:

I'll post more if I can think of anything!

Stagemaven

Reaction score
I was at the 3:30 show. I honestly think this was the best hour of my life. I used to spend hours listening to my Sesame Street records as a child. There was one song I used to sing over & over. It was a duet between Grover (who I was sad wasn't there) & Madeline Khan. I'd sing be my echo for hours. After the Rachel Dratch as SM segment John asked her if she'd like to know how to sing in Carnegie Hall. She said sure and they sang Be My Echo with Rachel doing the echo part along with the audience. I got to sing my favorite song in Carnegie Hall. I feel very lucky. I sat in the third row on the side. It was pretty amazing.

ploobis

Reaction score
The show was AWESOME!!! It was a real special and emotional tribute to Jim Henson. :smile: I loved all the Muppet, Sesame and Fraggle appearances!!!

My Ma actually cried during Rainbow Connection

thecompman

Reaction score
I was at the 3:30 show as well. Thank god MuppetCentral sent out an email about this 2 weeks ago. I scored tickets in the high balcony. But...after check again and again almost every night I got a ticket in....Row A right on the center aisle!!!!

What an amazing show, and vantage point. All the performers both human and muppet were literally just a few feet away from me.

Previous posters on this thread have given excellent recaps, better than I ever could so I'll just tell you about after the show. My wife is little and cute and therefore people like to give her information when she asks and it's tough to say no to her. So on our way out she asked where to go to meet the performers.

We were standing right at the stage door, we got talk with and get autographs from David Goelz, David Rudman, Eric Jacobson, Kevin Clash (got photos with him too), then we saw most of the sesame cast as they walked out.

Got to shake hands with Sonia, Loretta, and Allison. Then we spotted Roscoe he was outside being very gracious and spending time talking with people, signing autographs, and taking pictures, so we got pictures with him.

Then...my wife turned around and spotted Bob and his wife sneaking away, so she ran across the street and we got photos and his autograph as well. His wife is super sweet!

I don't know who could've possibly been at the after party because we got practically everyone on the way out immediately following the concert.

Totally the best 2 hours of my life, it was such an amazing experience, absolutely Once in a Lifetime!