Dying Fleece Issues!

is awesome

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I recently got my first batch of antron fleece the other day and started dying it today, but I'm having some issues. I dyed it based on RIT Dye's website Green 3 #579.

http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

When I finished dying it, the smooth inside looks perfect, but the fuzzy fleece side is all pale and whitish still.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
~Josh

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions...
1) Was the water that you used to dye the fabric boiling?
2) Did you pre-soak the fleece in water before placing it in the dye?
3) Did you do a test strip before dying?

I am finding that the new Antron is crap- it doesn't dye well and the seams don't hide as well. I suggest doing a test strip and make certain it is timed to provide you the correct colour you desire. The old Antron was a dream to work with but this new stuff isn't taking dye as good. You can re-dye but make certain you do the test strip first and you might have to leave it in for a long time to reach the desired colour. Also make certain you are agitating the fleece as it dyes. I use industrial gloves and basically agitate it by hand so that you don't get any "spotting". I recommend contacting the dealer you purchased the fabric from and address this issue with them so they can tell the wholesaler...I doubt things will change in regards to the fabric but when we all stop buying it because of it's sub-par properties, then perhaps the Pepsico Company will make changes ...but like I said I doubt it.

If anyone else is having dying issues please post.

muppet88

Reaction score
Hey there

I recently tried dying the same rit color of green with Antron fleece. I had one heck of a time getting the color to be as dark and intense as I wanted it. I've never had a problem dying other colors before using the rit formula guide. I think part of the problem is that formula requires so much yellow die... That it's tough to get a strong vivid color. I would reccomend using really hot water for the dying and might try adding salt to the dye bath (something rit reccomends to achieve more vivid color, but I haven't tested the salt method myself yet). I'll try and post a picture of the color I ended up getting. I had to dye the Antron twice.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
The salt acts as a fixer. I'm telling you it is the new fleece- with the old Antron you had to watch that you didn't get the colour too "vivid". Now it seems you have to leave it in for hours. LOL

is awesome

Reaction score
Ya, I think your right TheCreatureWork. I left my fleece in the dye for 2 days and its still not quite there.

I will defiantly talk to the people I got the fleece from and see if they are having similar issues or even if they have different methods of dying.

Thanks for all the help!

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Tell the person/company you purchased the Antron from your issues and tell them to tell the company they purchase from. I know Georgia Stage purchases directly from the manufacturer and will inform them of the problems we are having. I doubt anything will change but it doesn't hurt to inform them of the problem.

is awesome

Reaction score
Well I talked to the people I bought the fleece from and they said that I had to keep the water at boiling temperatures for a half hour for the fleece to be the color I want. I'm not sure if that should matter or not and I don't know if I will be able to keep it that hot that long in the plastic tubs I'm using.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
LOL Half an hour! LOL Boiling temperatures! LOL The old Antron was much more easier...for sure! I just recently worked with the old Antron and it was incredible. I compared the old to the new and found that the problem with new Antron is that the fiber is much different than the old fabric. It seems to be "scotch guarded" thus repelling water and making it more difficult to get dark vibrant colours.
Another issue I noticed was that the thickness of the material is a bit different- thus making it harder to conceal seams. When you do a ladder stitch and pull the thread to tighten the stitch, the fabric doesn't "gather"...instead it bunches and when you try to pick the seams it still can be seen. I thought perhaps my ladder stitch skill wasn't the best but then when I used the stitch on ordinary Polar Fleece the stitch worked it's magic and became unseen- even with polar fleece!!
So I think the Pepsico company (The company who produces Antron now) is trying to create the same "type" of Antron, but doing it using cheaper bi produce of carpet fiber and then trying to sell us this less superior product.
As you can see I'm extremely unhappy with this product as I purchase bolts of material and having spent hundreds of dollars on semi usable stuff is disheartening. I truly recommend saving your money and purchasing the polar fleeces you find in your local fabric store- not only will it send a message to the Antron people that we won't buy a crappy fabric, but it will feed money into your own local economy. Right now (it is my opinion) that the polar fleece is far more superior at hiding seams than the present Antron.

Goochman

Reaction score
I dye Antron all the time (like a few times a week) and I don't normally have issues. I've found recently that the Rit powder is better than the liquid. I also tend to use more dye than they suggest. I do it in a washing machine.

is awesome

Reaction score
Ya, I noticed that I can do just as well at hiding the seam with the polar fleece.

And I will have to try machine dying it.

Thanks for all the help guys!
~Josh