ParaNorman

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Anyone else interested in seeing it?

Everyone knows I'm a sucker for stop motion. Quite honestly this looks better and more interesting than Frankenweenie.

Its from the same company that made Coraline, but its not directed by Henry Selick (or Tim Burton *glares at people who think all stop motion is Tim Burton*). Shame really. Henry Selick is a great director.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm exited about it. There's just something in the trailers that seems off, but if trailers have taught me anything recently, they put the loudest, lowest common denominator stuff from the film that barely lingers a second into these things, and it makes them look worse than they actually are. The trailer is by no means even slightly bad, but there's something there that couldn't possibly seem as off in the actual film. I can't put my finger on it... but everything usually works better in context of the movie.

But the fact that this really is stop motion makes this movie amazing. Sure, in most stop motion movies, there's a little jitter to the movements that says "this is a stop motion movie." This animation is so slick and smooth, it looks like CGI. In fact, I almost assumed it was when I first saw it. I was, Oh... eh, this movie looks pretty good, I guess, I don't think I'll see it unless I have extra money and I'm bored and I really think too many studios use CG.... HOLY CRAP! It's stop motion! I am THERE!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know, you are not the only one who has though it was CGI. The imdb boards are full of people thinking its CGI. But I saw like two seconds of the trailer on tv and instantly knew it was stop motion. :smirk:

I'm willing to bet Frankenweenie will do better in the box office since its a Tim Burton movie and everyone loves Tim Burton :rolleyes: He is just not good at directing stop motion. Corpse Bride was ok...but it just felt so off. Not to mention his art style is kinda bleh

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet Frankenweenie will do better in the box office since its a Tim Burton movie and everyone loves Tim Burton :rolleyes: He is just not good at directing stop motion. Corpse Bride was ok...but it just felt so off. Not to mention his art style is kinda bleh
Tim Burton is an aging director. I needn't even go beyond that, but we all know directors start out as wizkids and then fall into old habits and make the same films over and over. Tim Burton films suffer from being Tim Burton films. He can either make a really good movie or one that doesn't stand out against his other films.

But Frankenweenie really seems to be the kind of film he should be doing instead of just another vehicle for Johnny Depp. If there's a director who constantly uses Johnny Depp and always has a very good product, it's Gore Wazzizname. At least in those ones, Johnny has fun.

Though, if there's a film he should make a stop motion remake (or prequel or sequel to) it's Beetlejuice.