The Matt Vogel Appreciation Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We have RHLC, SWAEHB, BBB, and other great threads dedicated to wonderful Muppeteers, but I think it's time that Matt Vogel got a thread for himself, because let's face it, not only is he an awesome performer, but he's had some pretty big shoes to fill, and has been doing an excellent job in doing so.

For over a decade now, he's been Caroll Spinney's understudy for Big Bird, and while admittedly I had difficulties adjusting to his Big Bird whenever he was used (I had thought his voice sounded a little like the transition between Caroll's original yokel accent and his current Big Bird voice), I certainly think he's proven himself to be a great candidate to keep Big Bird alive for many more years to come, and it's nice to know he's willing to do anything (though respectfully ask that Caroll continue to do any roller skating, which I don't doubt is nearly impossible).

Not only that, but I think The Muppets also did wonders for his accomplishments as well, basically having to take over all of Jerry Nelson's character, again, really big shoes to fill, because Jerry is so celebrated, and his characters are really beloved and familiar, but all things considered, I was really impressed at just how great Matt was as Floyd, Uncle Deadly, Camilla, and others... those are all really unique voices that are not easy to replicate, but he managed to pull it off, and if a sequel does indeed happen, I do hope he'll be on hand to continue to breathe new life in Jerry's characters.

So yeah, I say let's add Matt Vogel to the MC Hall of Fame, up there alongside Richard, and Steve, and Bill.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Besides all the things mentioned above, can I just add that he's a super nice guy? Thanks D'Snowth, he definitely deserves some recognition.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Besides all the things mentioned above, can I just add that he's a super nice guy? Thanks D'Snowth, he definitely deserves some recognition.
Have you and/or Phil met or corresponded with him Cindy?

I've only read up on him, but I agree, he does seem like a really nice guy, I enjoyed his little bio in the recent 40 Years book, where he talks about being "the puppet geek" in school, lol. Who among us here at MC wasn't? :stick_out_tongue:

Nasubionna

Reaction score
Yes, some very large shoes to fill, but Mr. Vogel is doing a fantastic job! I love that he's carrying on so many of Jerry Nelson's characters and I hope that he gets the opportunity to give life and a voice to Dr. Strangepork soon. I am so grateful to Matt & all the other Muppet performers who have taken on so many of Jim, Frank, Richard and Jerry's characters in addition to their own (out of curiousity, does Matt have his own character(s)? I haven't been keeping up with Sesame Street these days so I honestly don't know)
Anyway, all this to say, if you're reading this Matt, you are awesome, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your hard work, and I look forward to your future performances!! yaaaay! **Kermit arm flail**

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Matt is doing an AMAZING job with Uncle Deadly. I'm excited to see that Floyd is coming back into the spotlight once again. :sing: Hopefully we will see more of him in a Pigs in Space sketch playing Dr. Julius Strangepork, or even a speaking role for Thog! :smile:

Hubert

Reaction score
Up there further in this thread I placed smilies in my post of his characters that have them, but I'd like to redo that:

:sing::fishy::cluck::crazy::grr::wisdom:

And hopefully he'll eventually perform:
:smirk:

Oh, and by the way, Uncle Deadly and Thog smilies were created by muppetboy09.