I miss the old Muppet Theatre.

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
I was watching the Muppet Show and it's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas, and I really loved the look of the old theater and seeing the backstage shot.
Watching the new Muppet movie made me really miss it. It's a shame they didn't stick with the same design. Does anyone else agree?

I guess you could just assume it's just been completely renovated.

Powerstars

Reaction score
I can see what you mean. I do enjoy the old design. Better for backstage antics anyhow!

mo

Reaction score
yes I love the old theater all those week day morning s I used to come downstiars to watch it on the dell...that thearter...*sigh*

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I completely agree. I understand why they used the location of the El Capitan and it works for the world of the film, but I always envisioned the Muppet Theatre as being a ramshackle local dive so far off Broadway that it's in Brooklyn, NY. LOL!

That's kind of what inspired my recent piece covered in the Muppet Mindet's article. I pieced that incarnation from many different versions because there's never really been just one. This is kind of how I felt it would look...(but with more color)

Kermieuk

Reaction score
James

I noticed in the muppet mindset your theatre montage you used for inspuration didn't include the cover of the muppet style guide??
I can send you a scan if you want it although it's probably a bit late now!!

Chris

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
I completely agree. I understand why they used the location of the El Capitan and it works for the world of the film, but I always envisioned the Muppet Theatre as being a ramshackle local dive so far off Broadway that it's in Brooklyn, NY. LOL!

That's kind of what inspired my recent piece covered in the Muppet Mindet's article. I pieced that incarnation from many different versions because there's never really been just one. This is kind of how I felt it would look...(but with more color)

Even if they kept the same classic backstage it would have been good. It could have been filmed anywhere. It's not that big a set really.

Instead they added levels to it and changed the design and colour.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
James

I noticed in the muppet mindset your theatre montage you used for inspuration didn't include the cover of the muppet style guide??
I can send you a scan if you want it although it's probably a bit late now!!

Chris
Thanks. :smile: I've got that style guide, but that's really not part of the cannon. It's just a Photoshop picture made for the style guide cover. :wink:

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
yes I love the old theater all those week day morning s I used to come downstiars to watch it on the dell...that thearter...*sigh*
I love the blend of the MShow and Mery Muppet Xmass movie Theater versions.
They should have got you to design the sets !

It could have even worked seeing the old classic Muppet Theater in it's run down state. Perhaps even using a miniature?

Then later using the new El Capitan Theatre and soundstage 28 after it's all been cleaned up and renovated.