Remembering Jim Henson...

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that it has been 22 years since Jim's passing on May 16, 1990. Like many of you, I'll never forget that day. What are your memories of May 16, 1990? Share the impact that Jim Henson has had on your life.

Read our Jim Henson tributes for many stories from the days and weeks after Jim Henson's passing. Our "Remembering Jim Henson" menu designed by Jamie is also now on our home page.

Join us in celebrating his legacy that will live on for generations.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I heard that Jim Henson passed while riding on the bus from one college class to another. The bus had a radio on, and it was announced there. I got teary-eyed on the spot. I still do, remembering that day.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I was about 8 years old - so I was young, but old enough to understand who was behind the Muppets. My mom sat me down and told me the way she did when a beloved family member died. I remember it didn't really resonate with me immediately, but it did as time went on. I'm thankful to have walked the earth while he was part of it, short as the time was.

Borples

Reaction score
Jim Henson was responsible for so many of my favorite things. Sesame Street taught me to read before I went to kindergarten. The Muppet Show defined my sense of humor--my brother and I made Muppet jokes and references from as far back as I can remember to this day. Labyrinth was my first favorite movie--the first one I went all goofy-obsessive over. Every time I watch it now, I realize how many of the phrases that are part of my permanent repertoire came from that movie. Fraggle Rock, I loved then, but I love it even more now, as I'm still discovering the depth and beauty--and silliness!--of the Rock.

I don't remember a time that I didn't realize that the Muppets were puppets. I never thought Kermit was a real frog. And I have a vague, VAGUE memory of my dad teaching me the name of Jim Henson when I was very small. After that, in my mind, he was THE great entertainer.

I was in eighth grade when he died. I saw it on the evening news--it was the Peter Jennings one. You know, "A little of the magic is gone." Those words still make me tear up. I don't know how to describe that feeling, but those of you who are old enough remember. It just seemed so wrong. Nothing on the news before or since has ever hit me quite the same way.

But it was middle school, and I don't remember anyone talking about it the next day. I went around feeling sad and hollow and thought I was the only one who cared. It wasn't until I was all grown up with kids of my own that I realized that I was far, FAR from alone in my love for all things Henson. The outpouring of affection for the Muppets when the movie was coming out blew me away. I felt so vindicated. :wink: And at the same time, I realized that there were like-minded folks congregating on the internet, AND THEY'D BEEN THERE FOR YEARS. Why I never sought out Muppet fan sites before, I have no idea. But I've gained an apprecaition lately for the scope of Jim's effect on the world. He touched and taught and delighted so many, from fans like us to people who never give Muppets a second thought--but who still have their lessons and laughter in their hearts.

Twenty-two years ago, we lost a great, great man. But we'll never lose his legacy. I'm so grateful to the people who are carrying on his work. And to all of you, who make it your business to love it, and to honor Jim in your own way.