The Jim Henson Hour

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Hardly anyone has mentioned this show on the new forum yet.
I want to see what other people think about it.

Seeing as im in the UK i didnt get to see the whole show, But we got The Storyteller segments and Monster Maker, I think we might have got more.

When i first saw those shows i have to admit i was scared, But i was only about 4 or 5 !
Later on i saw some clips and realised that i had seen something that Henson made (I knew at the time, But wasnt interested) and i wanted to see it again !

So i got most of The Storteller episodes on video and loved them !

Then i got the rest of The Jim Henson Hour, Again at first i wasnt to pleased with it.
But i left it a while and watched them again and found out that i absolutely love it !

So what does everyone else think of the show ?

And who has a list of all the shows ?

See ya

dwmckim

Reaction score
I can't go into a lot of elaboration at the time of typing since i'm getting set to leave out the door, but JHH is one of my all time fave projects to come out of Henson Company. Even though it wasn't without its flaws, it seemed like the whole sense of creativity and experimentation was emerging like a tidal wave and especially given how much of the focus in the '80's was on the Babies and the childrens' projects, this return to the more edgy adult Muppet mania was a welcome return and completely rejuvenated my love/fandom for them.

White Lion

Reaction score
JHH is my absolute favorite Henson project ever. It's the one i grew up with. I liked it when I was young because I loved to be scared. The first half of the show always kept me entertained by myself, but when the Storyteller part came on, I'd drag a parent into the room for security. Now I watch the eps I have on tape about twice a month. I'm missing Monster Telethon, Monster Maker, The Garbage Episode, and the Secrets of the Muppets episode.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Warrick-

I didn’t like The Henson Hour much because I felt it was too erratic. I did enjoy it, but not as much as The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock or Muppets Tonight. I liked the split between the Muppet half and The Storyteller segment.

I really think The Storyteller was some of the most interesting American network television to come around in quite a while. Unfortunately the American public didn't seem too receptive to it from what I have seen. I am glad that HBO ran The Storyteller series a couple years ago. It really was an innovative series!

As for the first half hour of the show, it was rather slow and nothing really seemed to tie it together. Only Kermit and Gonzo were regulars and though I like new characters, I don't favor them appearing at the expense of old favorites. There were some funny sketches though, but they didn't get the best guest stars.

The opening was fantastic. Probably one of my favorite credit sequences from a Muppet project (The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock being the other two). I remember screaming when I first spotted Emmet Otter row by in the eye of the "wind-tunnel" thingy. And the intros with Jim Henson himself were priceless. Altogether I'd have to give the series a solid C, though The Storyteller definitely deserves an A+ all its own.

Just my thoughts. Not every project can be a Muppet Show or Fraggle Rock and this one wanted to be something different. It definitely succeeded at that and I wish I had my old episodes on tape.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Jamie,

Lots of people have the tapes for trade !
But they are not so good copies !

Who else is in the opening theme ?

I always thought it was Statler and Waldorf in the boat, Thats how bad my copies are.

Oh and they also made Jim Henson's Greek Myths , It was a series like The Storyteller.

See ya

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Greek Myths is what was on HBO.

In the opening of THH there were many nods to old productions. i really can't remember them right now. I think Kermit was on his bike somewhere. I don't think I have anymore tapes unforutnately. Where are these trades available? And what did you decide about the exclusives thing?

White Lion

Reaction score
I'm gonna watch some JHH later, but from what I remember from the intro, there is:
Kermit on bike
Swedish Chef hitting Fozzie with a Pie
Storyteller photo
Emmit and Ma Otter in a boat
Mad Dog in a red car from Dog City

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I liked the little themesong jingle too!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Jamie + White Lion,

Hey Guys,
If you post an Ad in the "Wanted" forum Jamie, Someone would probably get back to you within a day !

What did you mean about the Exclusives ?
I would like to see a Jim Henson Hour figure set made !

See ya

EmmyMik

Reaction score
JHH

I've only seen 2 episodes of the JHH (Dog City, and Secrets of the Muppets), so I don't think I have a true opinion of the show yet. However, I love both of these episodes...