Is Gonzo Being phased out?

muppetlover123

Reaction score
i really hope that if Dave retires sometime in the next like 5 years or less that someone can do waldorf gonzo bunsen and beaugaurds voice :/

Gonzo14

Reaction score
If it's shoulder problems and physical limitations, then couldn't Goelz dub the voices, while someone else does the puppetry?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
If it's shoulder problems and physical limitations, then couldn't Goelz dub the voices, while someone else does the puppetry?
I think it's probably a combination of factors and not just the shoulder one. Characters are frequently dubbed due to scenes that contain two or more characters from the same performance, but it can take the spontaneity out of a scene so the Muppets try to avoid that. It's largely why Miss Piggy and Fozzie Bear seemed so stale in Muppets Tonight and Muppets From Space. Recasting the characters of Frank Oz helped save the Muppets IMHO.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Well at least he was on GMA back in Nov of last year when they were promoting the film and he was on DWTS. I enjoyed watching the clip someone put on YouTube of the muppeteers performing "Mahna Mahna" :concern:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate to say this, but lately Gonzo has seemed a bit stiff to me. When I watched The Muppets I wondered if Goelz was having arm but that wouldn't have explained how flat his reaction to seeing Kermit and Fozzie for the first time in years was, in light of the fact that he's been wearing spandex under his suit all this time. Not even an initial eye-widening before he went all businesslike. (Can the puppet still do this in both eyes or has it been limited to one only?)
I take it that Gonzo, being a business professional, was strongly trying to hold in his innermost feelings until the time was right. It's one of those things that sort of worked, but didn't get the time to gestate.

But at least he wasn't sullen like he was in MFS and LTS.

Other than that, the new puppet looks VERY stiff. I really hope the next Gonzo they use is a little more flexible and expressive. Something that wasn't really there.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Because that worked so well for Miss Piggy in MFS? *ahem*

EDIT: Actually, scratch that, because she and Sam were both BRILLIANT in MTI and that was the same situation...

Gonzo14

Reaction score
That's a valid point, but you also have to take in to consideration that these performers are getting older, and are probably not as agile and flexible as they were in the 70s and 80s.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
The new Gonzo isn't as still as you all say he is. He's actually more expressive. And they finally fixed his overlapping eyelid thing that bugged the heck out of me.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The new Gonzo isn't as still as you all say he is. He's actually more expressive. And they finally fixed his overlapping eyelid thing that bugged the heck out of me.
I'm one of those who believe that they perfected the look of Gonzo, especially in LTS, and the latest incarnation almost looks like a fan-created puppet. He's always had overlapping lid issues of one sort or another, but the recent solution looks misshapen, less expressive and bland to me. I hope they refine him.​
Gonzo Now / Gonzo Then​
Gonzo Then / Gonzo Now​
The Wiki has a great feature on Gonzo through the years.​
I mean if they're not gonna go with this Gonzo:​
I'd rather them go classic TMM instead of the recent film's puppet...​

Misskermie

Reaction score
I felt Gonzo was being phased out too. But it could just be temporary. After all, they're only introducing it to the new generation, and bringing it back for old fans. That's probably it.