THE MUPPETS at Madame Tussauds??

Hubert

Reaction score
Even though I'm an ocean apart from there and am not going there anytime soon, I think that this is a great idea. What I more want to say that it really wouldn't be a disgrace to the Muppets or the people who worked on them at all. It's more of an honor, saying "we love your work so much that we're doing this." If making wax Muppets for it is a disgrace to the Muppets, then I guess the Kermit and Jim Henson statue outside of the University of Maryland is too. And to take it further, I guess Muppet merchandise and Muppet Halloween costumes are too...

muppetperson

Reaction score
Following the Kermit appearance at HMV, London this week, a friend of mine who works at Madame Tussauds Wax Museum in London got in touch, asking me what I thought about the idea of having the Muppets at MT!! And whether she should pitch to her boss about the possibility of having a Muppet display there ?

I have to say my first thoughts were that it was a rather strange idea, firstly, obviously re-creating the Muppets out of wax and silicone would more than likely look horrible, and secondly I explained how protective Disney & the Henson company are over the Muppets and quite rightly so, and we all know how much difficulty various companies ran into with trying to re-produce the Muppets for the MR/EFX photo replica line..so I explained it was a LONG SHOT!! But still an interesting idea.

She explained that MT don't just have humans models there, they have Shrek for example, and Disney have given permission for the Marvel characters to be immortalised in Wax for a time, including the Incredible Hulk, so perhaps the idea of a Muppet display isn't that out of the ordinary...

My question is...IS THIS SOMETHING THAT MUPPET FANS WOULD LIKE TO SEE?

And what are your thoughts on the concept of a Muppet display at Madame Tussauds so that you can have your photograph taken with your favourite Muppets.
Obviously it's not the same as the real thing, but not everyone has the opportunity to pose with the Muppets, or had the chance to see the Jim Henson's Fantastic World Exhibition.

Previously, public votes and popularity have had a lot to do with who goes into MT, so presumably they would need to see that there's potential and the demand for it.

Thanks for your time :smile:
YES!!! Wax Muppets would be great to see and get photographed with.BTW I like your new avitar.Wish I had my photo taken with Kermit and Pepe.I went all the way down to Sydney to get my photo taken with Kermit, but they just packed up when I was next in line.:frown:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea, to be honest! :smile: The Muppets deserve to be immortalized (even though they're already immortal) waaaay more than a lot of the "stars" that make up MT exhibits (Paris Hilton anyone?). As long as they do a wax replica of the REAL Kermit, NOT the horrible beaked poser whose image is all over the place, lol.

And... as long as its on display in Hollywood this coming September, ha ha ha! :wink: (we're headed to Disney around that time!)

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Hmm...I had to think long and hard about this one. I think a Jim Henson figure would be more plausible then The Muppets. I personally am not into wax museums so I wouldn't go but I definitely think a Jim Henson figure would be a great idea. As for The Muppets I personally I don't like the idea of them being made out of wax. I just have this really bad image in my head of how they'd turn out. On the other hand like someone said it's just another way of showing how much their loved and honoring not only The Muppets but also Jim. Why there isn't a Jim Henson figure there already though I'll never know! I think that's another thing that is LONG overdue! And I will say if they were to do The Muppets in wax oh lord they'd better do one heck of a job in making them look as real as possible because otherwise they'd be getting one heck of a long vocal letter of opinion from me.

Like most of us though I'm a snob when it comes The Muppets and the last thing I wanna see is something cheap and crappy looking. So all in all I say yes to a Jim Henson figure and a NO to The Muppets. But either way I wouldn't be making the effort to go see them I'd be making more of an effort to see the real deal. AKA actually meeting the REAL Kermit the Frog/Steve Whitmire.

Anyways that's my opinion on the subject not that it's important or anything. Lol!

Luke

Reaction score
I'm not sure about a Muppet display in wax, but ive not seen fabric done in wax so what Beau says is interesting. I do LOVE Reevz idea of Jim holding Kermit. I know Disney is steering away from showing Muppets as puppets but i think if you contact the Jim Henson Legacy and its done via them Diz would probably approve - i.e being done in a Jim historical sense than a promoting the Muppets sense.

However for the Muppets as a whole, the troupe as it were, I would love something like the travelling exhibit to come to Tussauds (or somewhere similar in the UK) or even have a permanent UK version. So people could have photos taken with posers/puppets etc. Also using animatronics parts of it could be cool and interactive - the Muppets are reaaallly catching on with the very small children here.

Nasubionna

Reaction score
This would be AWESOME. I freaking love wax museums, and would love to see a Jim Henson with Kermit figure (like someone else mentioned, there is absolutely no reason why they wouldn't make the Muppet figures out of fabric - they clothe the wax sculptures in fabric, after all!) And why stop just with Jim? They do living people as well, so I would love a Jim & Frank (maybe with Ernie and Bert?) or - if we're really lucky, a whole gaggle of Muppeteers paid tribute to in wax! That's how I look at wax sculptures - as artistic tributes, so I really can't quite relate to folks here to complain that it's not "the real deal" or whatever. Of course it isn't! It's just like REALLY expensive fan art, and I love it! :big_grin:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I think a wax figure of Jim Henson would be way cooler than just seeing recreations of the characters there. I think the problem with Madame Tussaud's, is that it's gone from focusing too much on current celebrities than historical figures or really famous people from our past. I went to the one in London years ago and had a blast, and was blown away by the figures of painters like Vincent Van Gogh, and famous people like that who we never would've had a shot at meeting.

But the one in NYC for example has horrendous displays for current celebrities who I don't feel really deserve to be there. I mean, Justin Bieber? I know he's famous but he's a flash in the pan pop act. Local TV celebrities like Al Roker and Regis Philbin? No thanks.. But something like Jim Henson and other past puppeteers would be cool

rowlfy662

Reaction score
i would really like a jim henson waxwork there but imagine them also making frank jerry richard dave and steve to go with him performing their main characters i would pay top dollar or pound to see that

catherine

Reaction score
I'm not to sure about it either. I would rather see the real thing.