Some Puppetry advice?

flowerlandfilms

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post so be kind. I was just wondering if I could get some advice on my puppetry. I have always had an interest in puppetry, especially in the Muppets, which has recently been inflamed by viewing the new Muppet movie, and the documentary 'Being Elmo'.

I made a video for youtube which I am hoping to turn into a series of reviews, and I was looking for feedback on the puppet work [I used my Teddy Bear, with a green screen glove].

Any comments or suggestions you could give would be very much appreciated as I am hoping to improve my skills as a puppeteer throughout the reviews. Thanks for your attention. You can watch the video here [I hope linking is ok].

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I really don't know of any advice that I could give you, as I think this is pretty darn good myself: Brownie's overall movements and mannerisms are done really well, and I like the straight-forward, dry sense of humor you've thrown into the reviews, "Carried on by James Cameron and some other hacks...", really funny! As far as puppeteering goes, I think you're off to a great start, I'd definitely look forward to seeing more from you. My only minor quibble would be, considering I'm a little tired of excessive use of green-screen in general, that maybe perhaps you could figure out a way to put together an actual set for him to be in... I've done this a couple of times before myself by merely turning a bookshelf around (back to the camera) in the foreground, with a curtain hung up in the background (and of course, set decorations like a coffee mug, call sheets, etc). That's just me though, but other than that, I'm liking this so far.

flowerlandfilms

Reaction score
Thanks a lot D'Snowth! It's only been up a little while, I wasn't sure if people would respond to it. I considered building a mini set, but I wanted to see if people liked the concept first before I went to all the trouble. Graphic design is my specialty so it was just easier to throw that together, but I might consider building him a little permanent set for the future.

Also I was thinking for later episodes I might get him out into the world a bit, away from behind the desk, sort of Travelling Matt/Fraggle Rock style. I did this one about a current movie to attract viewers, but in the future I want to get him doing some things other than movie reviews as well. Thanks for the feedback!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I understand, that makes sense.

And I agree, I'd like to see some real-world exposure, I happen to agree with Jim's sentiments about how great puppets look outdoors, in the natural light, in the real world, so any ideas you have there, like something similar to Travelling Matt, I say go for it!

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I always want to film outdoors but have such aweful cameras that it never seems to look right....

DannyRWW

Reaction score
That being said I loved the vido...what a great perfomance and the video looks really polished.I've been doing ideos for years and mine don't look anywhere near as refined as that.

flowerlandfilms

Reaction score
Thanks Danny! All my knowledge is in film making and design, so now I'm working backwards to try and figure out what works best with puppets.

flowerlandfilms

Reaction score
I created a second video. It was created on the basic template of the first. But I experimented with Rods for the head and left hand in the intro this time. I'm not to confident with it yet, will do a bit more for the next one. I rushed this one out to capitalize on the movies newness. I'm still figuring out the sort of style and humour, while experimenting.
I think I will do something big for the next one, which will probably be about Batman.