How to affix Full Ping Pong Ball eyes

Coz UK

Reaction score
Hi! First dumb question of the week. I've seen Ping Pong balls used as eyes - whole ones, in this case.
I read that a small hole is made in the ball, then an toy eye is pushed into it and glued in.

Now, I was thinking that this would make the stem of the eye jam into the back of the hand?

So I wondered if I had it wrong. Take a look at this sketch:

Now, if the toy eye or doll joint has a serrated / ribbed stem, then drilling a hole in the ping pong ball slightly smaller than the stem should grip the sides of the hole much like the proper gripper would (Image A).

Making a hole roughly the size of the toy eye in the bottom of the ping pong ball to then glue in the toy eye, stem outward to accept the gripper part (Image B).

A would not impinge on the hand, and could be reinforced with glue.
B seems like it could crush the ball trying to put enough force on the ball to push the stem into the gripper.

So am I missing something? If there's a video online I've missed, or if someone could post a pic or something I'd be much abliged!

Thanks for reading,
Coz.

Animal31

Reaction score
Hi Coz,

A is the way to go, but I have to honestly say I think you're putting too much thought into this. Use a 30-35mm doll joint, pop it thru the head and use either a nail or a screwdriver pick to start the hole in the ball, and then use a small pair of scissors to enlarge it and widen it. Drop some hot glue on the doll post and then pop it on...

No drilling or screwing required.... :smile:

Coz UK

Reaction score
Thanks Animal31! That makes sense! :smile:
I do tend to over think everything! Sometimes it means I get an idea, other times it just confuses me even more!

Thanks again!
C.

Animal31

Reaction score
No Problem, I did the same thing starting out. As you keep going you'll see ways to cut the time and process down, and what is necessary and what's not.....