"Jump the Shark" Thread

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I was wondering about people's opinions on certain TV shows that "jumped the shark". Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggerated term. After all, every good series has it share of weak spots.

Anyway, the typical 'jump the shark' moments are during the last few seasons of a show. For instance, there's the last three seasons of "The Andy Griffith Show" (the color episodes). Why are these seasons weaker than the black and white ones? To be honest I can't safely say, as I haven't seen enough of the latter day episodes. However, from the few that I have seen, part of the problem seems to be different writing and directing. And there's the more obvious act, such as Andy's character becoming seemingly more impatient and grouchy, and the lack of so many of the previous seasons' 'funny' characters (namely Barney). The lack of Don Knotts (with the acception of a few guest appereances) came from the fact that Knotts was told TAGS would only last five seaons. After season five, Knotts went onto his movie career. Meanwhile, Andy was picked up for another season. Jack Burns briefly joined the cast as the new deputy, Warren Ferguson. Most people seem to agree that the problem with Warren was the fact that the writers made him too similar to Barney. Again, I can't agree on this, as I've seen so few episodes with him. However, I do think that the lack of a really good sidekick for Andy did make things a bit bland.

And then there's "Diff'rent Strokes". The last two seaons were filled with weak episodes. One big change during these two seasons was the lack of Kimberly (Dana Plato) and Willis (Todd Bridges). Dana Plato became pregnant after season six, and was dropped from the cast before the next season. However, she did make two guest appereances in season seven, and was a semi-regular in the last season. Todd Bridges was still a main cast member, but his role was largely shortened. This was due to the fact that episodes were now focusing on Arnold's relationship with younger brother Sam. Then there's Sam (and Maggie). This is by no means a rant on Danny Cooksey, Dixie Carter, or Mary Ann Mobely. Personally, I just found there characters to be rather annoying. I do remember that the writers gave two different approaches to Maggie during seasons seven and eight. In season seven, with Carter playing the role, Maggie was typically called on to yell, make cracks, and seem like an interesting addition to the group. The last season, with Mobely replacing Carter, depicted Maggie as a more calm character (and extremely bland).

Any other thoughts? Or can anybody think of TV shows that either 'jumped the shark', or had just plain bad episodes?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The last few seasons of a show doesn't mean it "jumped the shark", there's a number of shows that had better later seasons than earlier seasons (Seinfeld for example), when a show jumps the shark, that's the moment the show takes a turn for the worst, and in some cases, alienates the fans that loved it dearly.

As far as Andy Griffith goes, yes, the last three seasons did jump the shark, for a lot of reasons, including one you didn't mention: trying to make up for Barney's departure by introducing a new cast of secondary characters, like Howard the county agent, Emmet the repairman, and others.

In some of my opinions...

Bewitched jumped the shark when they switched Darrins; I know Dick Sargent tried, and it's ironic that he was actually the original choice for Darrin but couldn't do it because he was under contract with another studio, but he just couldn't quite measure up to Dick York's performance.

M*A*S*H jumped the shark by Season Eight, when the show completely overhauled its writing and production staff, and it shifted from being a sitcom with dramatic undertones, to basically being a very dark and very preachy anti-war show that had very little comedy to it at all.

Arthur jumped the shark years ago: they keep getting child actors that are too young and make the characters sound completely off (Arthur himself hasn't had a decent voice actor in nearly ten years), and it's clear the show has worn out its welcome, the writers have been out of ideas for years now.

Courage the Cowardly Dog jumped the shark when the network forced him to stop talking after the first season.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
The last few seasons of a show doesn't mean it "jumped the shark", there's a number of shows that had better later seasons than earlier seasons (Seinfeld for example), when a show jumps the shark, that's the moment the show takes a turn for the worst, and in some cases, alienates the fans that loved it dearly.
Right, I didn't mean that all shows "jumped" during their last season(s). Rather, I meant that generally "jump the shark" moments occur during the last season(s) of certain shows.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The Powerpuff Girls when they switched over to *gasp* flash animation!

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
The Three Stooges (okay, not a TV show) around 1953 when a lot of the great minds behind the Stooges films left (Ed Bernds, Elwood Ulman, etc.). For most of the remaining Shemp period, the Stooges films were basically remakes of older shorts, almost always using stock footage from those shorts. And then there's the period with "the two Joes" (Joe Besser and Curly-Joe DeRita). The Besser shorts are a mixed bag. About half are remakes of older shorts, while the others are new shorts. The 'new' shorts were typically written to suit younger audiences. Some (like "Muscle Up a Little Closer" and "A Merry Mix-Up") aren't that bad. Others (like "Sweet and Hot" and "Horsing Around") are pretty bad. And then there's the fact that Besser doesn't seem to have much chemistry with Moe or Larry. Then again, he was only with the Stooges for a short period of time (less than two years).

The Curly-Joe era is also a mixed bag. When Curly-Joe came on board, the Stooges finally got the chance to star in their own feature films. These were generally kiddie matinee films, with more family-oriented material. Much of the Stooges' violent horseplay was toned down. Personally I don't think the CJ films are that bad. "Have Rocket Will Travel" is a bit slow moving, but still has a good amount of classic Stooge material in it. Its weak points, IMO, are the romantic subplot (one of the most boring subplots I've ever seen), the entire sequence with the Stooges on Venus (a little too much sci-fi/kidde material), and the fact that Joe DeRita doesn't seem really comfortable as a Stooge at this point (after all, he'd just joined the act).

"Snow White and the Three Stooges" suffers from the obvious fact that the Stooges inclusion in the film was an after-thought. When watching this film, one shouldn't expect a typical Stooge film. The boys' material in this one really seems like it could have been given to any other comics. Still, with the acception of Carol Heiss (Snow White), the acting is very good. Sets are beautiful, music is nice, and hey, Mel Brooks' voice makes an appereance. Joe has gotten more comfortable with his Stooge role by now. Another bonus in this film is we get to see the Stooges pull of dramatic acting. All three actually do a fantastic job.

"The Three Stooges Meet Hercules" had a good plot, and was strongly helped by the inclusion of director Edward Bernds and writer/producer Norman Mauer. "The Three Stooges in Orbit" actually had about 20 minutes of footage that was either remade or taken directly from an unsold TV pilot, "The Three Stooges Scrapbook". The "Scrapbook" material is, IMO, pretty good. Watching just those scenes gives the feel of a classic Stooge short. The rest of the film is good in parts, but also has a lot of slow-moving points.

"The Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze" also had a good story, and reused a lot of classic Stooge material (the "Marajah" routine, "Pop Goes the Weasel", etc.). While it's not my favorite of the CJ features, it's probably the best of the lot. "The Outlaws IS Coming" is filled with pop culture references of the 1960s that, while very funny, are somewhat outdated by now. Then there's the TV show "The New Three Stooges". A part live action, part animated show (a concept the Stooges tried selling to TV as early as the late 50s), it's clearly meant to be more of a kids' show. While it's nice to see the Stooges in color, the live action sequences are a bit slow moving (partly due to the Stooges aging), but not too bad. The cartoons are cute, but not exactly classic Stooge material.

Bryan M

Reaction score
I can't really pinpoint it... but with Sliders it was shortly after they killed off Prof. Arturo and again when they replaced Quin Mallory.

"For the record? There was an episode of 'Happy Days' where a guy LITERALLY JUMPED OVER A SHARK. And it was the best one!" - Troy, Community

Teheheman

Reaction score
First off, 'Troy and Abed on Muppet CEEEN-TRAL'
Second off, I think Andy's problem was that they kind of changed the character of Andy to NOT be the one who had the idea to either catch the crook, or to get out of a situation. They made him be the guy who had the idea and somehow it backfired(for example, the Bowling episode) or the baffoon. Usually, the comedy came in the middle where somebody like Barney had something happen, or they had something happen to them, and Andy always ended up finding a funny way out of it.
Third off, M*A*S*H's problem came after Radar left. Yeah, there were some good episodes, BUT there was no real comedy after Burns and Radar left. It became too preachy and too dramatic. Without the comedy to balance it out, you're just left with a commentary on how sucky war is and who really wants to watch THAT for a half hour.
Lastly, Dang you Bryan M, That's what I was gonna say lol.

Daniel

SSLFan

Reaction score
It didn't occur to me until now, recently watching reruns on Teenick, but All That really hit a snag in Season 5, with Kel Mitchell appearing only in a few episodes. Of course the show really sunk in Season 6 with the departure of Kel & Kenan Thompson, arguably the show's two breakout stars.