Fads and Obsessions

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder what's up with the recent surge in popularity for Betty White. I've never hated her, but was never a fan, either, and it's interesting that she seems to be popular again (I'm surprised she hasn't starred in a recent movie).

She's not a bad actress, but not really somebody I was demanding a comback from, never had a desire to see her work with the Muppets (has she ever been in any Muppet/Henson productions?). Her character on The Mary Tyler Moore Show was never one of my favorites, she was okay as the grandma in The Lorax (actually that character was one of the coolest in the film), I only watch Golden Girls if I'm visiting people who are watching it, and her recurring role as Kitty's mother on That '70s Show is the most annoying character on the show (why couldn't her character have been killed off instead of Tom Poston's?).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Three words: Hot in Cleveland.

It was the first in a long line of S H I T E E original TV Land sitcoms that cast has-been actors in the roles of characters that nobody is even remotely interested in; HIC is supposedly revamped Golden Girls, with Valerie Bertinelli, Wendy Malick, and some other washed up actress, who end up in Cleveland and live with Betty White.

That basically relaunched her career, so yeah, she's everywhere now.

minor muppetz

Reaction score

It was the first in a long line of S H I T E E original TV Land sitcoms that cast has-been actors in the roles of characters that nobody is even remotely interested in; HIC is supposedly revamped Golden Girls, with Valerie Bertinelli, Wendy Malick, and some other washed up actress, who end up in Cleveland and live with Betty White.

Oh, I thought it was due to her appearance on SNL a few years ago, though I heard that appearance came about due to a petition (much like the later petition to have Cookie Monster host).

Hayley B

Reaction score
I love Sims 3. I know I've said that many of times on this forum. Always loved The Sims. :smile:

catherine

Reaction score
I have an obsession to do with rabbits, as I had a real one and he had to be to put to sleep. I tend to buy soft toy bunnies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have an obsession to do with rabbits, as I had a real one and he had to be to put to sleep. I tend to buy soft toy bunnies.
I know how you feel Catherine, I too love bunnies (though I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with them); matter of fact, next month it will have been three years since I had to put down my last bunny, whom I had had for going on six years (she was seven).

There used to be a pet store on the other side of town where they would actually let you pick up and hold their bunnies, but they went out of business a long time ago... there's still another pet store where I used to shop for my bunny, but they forbid you from picking theirs up (you can reach in and pet them, but you can't hold them).

That, and there's also a family of wild bunnies that live in the neighborhood, they pop up in my backyard when you least expect it.

catherine

Reaction score
I had mine when he was a baby, he was only 8 weeks. I also love stuff to do ireland.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's with this current trend of making movies of dark and disturbing adult versions of fairy tales? Just more proof that Hollywood is out of original ideas?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It is amazing how well over ten years later, the Pokemon craze is still going really strong, with no signs of dying down anytime soon... I mean, I fell off that bandwagon after maybe two or three years of being as big a Pokemaniac as the rest, it just became really hard to keep up with, the constant additions of creatures, switching out human characters, all that jazz... it amazes me how some people out there can keep up with all that to this day.
This is coming from someone who quite dislikes Pokemon... I dislike card games, I'm no fan of RPG style gaming (I'd rather do the attacking myself), and I find the anime to have too many tropes of superior anime we'll never get. I mean *&^% Great Britain! You get the live action Yatterman movie?

But Nintendo was smart. They didn't build up Pokemon to be a single period cash grab, they built it up to stand among its other strong brands like Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. That's why it has the longevity that it has. Also doesn't hurt that young kids' anime lasts an extremely long time in Japan. Anything for adults/oler audiences now is like 12 episodes... but Pokemon probably has a hundred episodes a year now.

It's a shame 4Kids bungled the Kirby anime marketing... they were going to build a huge Kirby brand that never happened. Sure, there are Kirby video games till coming out... but no general retail Kirby merchandise. you have to get your Kirby fix at anime stores/conventions. And that stuff's expensive.

No no no no! Not at all. HIC is the result of her popularity, not the cause. The real reason is much more simple.

The internet is run with grown up kids whose mothers watched Golden Girls, and likely watched episodes with them. I swear there were Golden Girls discussions and GG muffining around this board a few years back. So essentially, Betty White was a meme... the female equivalent to the (really freaking unfunny) Chuck Norris meme. So I'm guessing the petition was supposed to be a joke. Yeah... Joke's on Betty White. She became huge as a meme and got that TV show.