2 Waves Of Muppet Fans

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Okay I say this because there seems to be two waves!

1st wave around 25 these people were raised on the muppet show. these people are usually more abundant than the....

2nd wave these are early teens (including me) these people were raised on MCC, MTI, and MCC...(hehe that's funny.) what's strange is that these fans were raised on Steve Whitmire's kermit......hmmm

well just wondering if you think i am on base here or not!

Sarah

Gonzo

Reaction score
That seems about right....but I'd also include an "in-between" group that was introduced to Henson-y things in the mid-80's...the ones who came to know the Muppets through things like Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, and eventually the Jim Henson Hour. People like Cory. Because I do think there's a distinction there.

There are even those geezers who were around well before The Muppet Show came out who got to know the Muppets through Ed Sullivan appearances, commercials, Jimmy Dean, and eventually Sesame Street.

So I might split that into 4 groups:

I. The Old School (pre 1976)
II. The Muppet Theatre (1976-1983)
III. The Rock & The Nursery (1983-1992)
IV. The Frog Lives (1992-Present)

Hopefully we'll see a fifth age that starts with the Renaissance that a new Muppet Show may bring. Maybe. Hopefully.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
yeah i thought about more...but birthdays on MC seem to either say 25 or 14.......but i like the titles!

Sarah

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah majority of people seem to be 24/25. Quinn did a great job of defining the 'periods' but being 25 i would have actually put myself somewhere between his II and III - I started with the later years of the 'Muppet Show' and was introduced to the 'Rock' at the start ...... but i didn't hang around for the Muppet Babies !

scarecroe

Reaction score
Yep, being 24 I fall somewhere between II and III as well. While The Muppet Show, Muppet Babies and Fraggle Rock were defining shows, Sesame Street was probably the most influencing. But even then, not as prominent as the three films. To me, growing up, those movies are what defined the Muppets for me.

*disclaimer: it's been years since I've seen Muppet Babies, but at the time, it was a mode for which I could extend my Muppet exposure and I found it enjoyable enough.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Luke, love the new sig.

Yeah....I dunno. That was just off the top of my head. Just making stuff up.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Even though I was born in 82, I still think I fit in III and just boardering close the edge of IIII.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
Luke, love the new sig.

Yeah....I dunno. That was just off the top of my head. Just making stuff up.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn
sometimes the stuff you make up is the best!:wink:

Sarah

UncleDeadly

Reaction score
I guess I'd be lumped into the second group. I'm twenty in seven days, and my parents only had HBO as long as I was watching Fraggle Rock. And I dont even remember the first time I saw the original muppet movies.

But somehow, I was a fan of the classic gang even before Muppet Babies. Maybe it was because my parents watched Muppet Show religiously when it was on as they were having kids.

I'd say the line is a little fuzzy for me, but the groups as you have listed them are right on!

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by UncleDeadly
Maybe it was because my parents watched Muppet Show religiously when it was on as they were having kids.

....when we went on our honeymoon, we were surfing through the channels, and The Muppet Show was on Odyssey. We watched it for a few minutes. I won't take this any further.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnn