Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

anytimepally

Reaction score
Boo-hoo, Whoa-whoa-whoa
Boo-hoo, Whoa-whoa-whoa

I'm sad... Oh boy, am I feelin' bad!
I wipe the tears from my eyes;
want to sit down an cry

Whoa, I'm so blue!
I just don't know what to do
I'm such an unhappy guy.

Rotten things happen.. it's okay to be sad. :sing:

jgidley

Reaction score
This the first time any major performer died in my life time, I knew it would happen eventually since I am only 14 but I didn't think it would happen this soon. I am very sad to see him go. Lew Zeland was not just my favorite Jerry character but my favorite muppet. R.I.P. Jerry :sing::batty::cluck:
Hey, I'm 14 too. It's good to see someone else my age that knows who Jerry Nelson is.

Zeliboba

Reaction score
I'm listening to his muppet songs now. Can't hold my tears... :frown: :cry:

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
I don't know what to say. Gobo was always my favorite Muppet and character in all of the Henson TV shows. It was what kept me hoping for peace as a child and keeps me trying to be a leader and bring peace to the world today. Mr. Nelson has been my inspiration and my hope as I've tried to cope with and struggled with bullying issues and the creation of my Club and Operation L.E.T. (Light at the End of the Tunnel) as his charcters and vocal acting was my inspiration to keep on in my life. I cannot express how much his work has affected me in such a posotive way. Whenever I was upset his characters made me smile and laugh it off.
I cannot begin to express my sorrow for his loss and how much I will miss him.
R.I.P. Jerry Nelson. :cry:

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Just found out. Can't belive it.
Mean either. Many fans of Jerry Nelson thought it was a dream but that became true.
I had never expected Jerry Nelson dying last night.

He's one of my inspirations. His characters made me feel happy whenever I see them.

He will always be in our hearts.

Wherever you are, Thank You, Jerry for all the great memories.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
I don't know what to say, but, quite honestly, Gobo Fraggle is why I think I'm such a leader now at almost 18 years old. Through such wonderful characters (especially Gobo), Jerry Nelson touched my life and I am very sad that he's gone.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
ABC News did a brief little tribute to him tonight, mentioning how before Twilight and True Blood, everybody's favorite purple vampire was Count Von Count, who taught generations of kids how to count, and that he also brought to life other characters as well, including Mr. Snuffleupagus, and they also mentioned that there was a fear that some felt Count would be too scary a character for the kids watching, but it was Jerry's charm and whimsy that made him such a beloved character for millions of kids.

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
This morning I did the same thing I do first thing every morning, which is check my e-mail. Let's just say, I had not planned to start my day with tears. I just can't believe he's gone.

I watched Sesame Street almost every day for years, and I had sort of a game that I would play whenever I watched it. I always knew they were puppets, and I always wondered who the people beneath them were. So I would listen to the character's voices really closely and try to figure out which characters were performed by the same puppeteers (though the only names that I was able to match with the voices were Jim Henson and Frank Oz). Later, I did the same thing while watching other Muppet productions.

I didn't know Jerry's name until maybe a year ago, but even long before that, I couldn't help but smile whenever I heard his voice and saw his performances. For as long as I can remember, I've loved his voice because it had this certain quality to it that I don't really know how to describe. To this day, I just can't help but smile when I hear him. Just recently, my siblings and I were watching The Muppet Movie, and I got all happy and excited when Floyd did his solo on Can You Picture That. The same thing happened when I watched The Muppets for the first time and heard Jerry as the announcer.

Pretty much all day I've been thinking, Oh yeah, he played this character, and that character, and this one too, and that one... and I'm just amazed at how many characters he did, and what a great range he could do. He truly was amazing.

So, I guess I just want to say... thank you Jerry. Thank you for teaching me how to count, for making me laugh, smile, and even sometimes cry. Though we never met or even communicated, you had a big impact on me, probably bigger than I realize. The Muppet world won't ever be the same without you.