Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

muppetlover123

Reaction score
ive been listening to jerrys songs and watched all the original movies today :frown:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Why is everyone saying that he performed Snuffy? He only did so in Snuffy's very early years...by the time that clip that CBS showed appeared, Marty Robinson was performing him.
But he did still originate the character and played him for several years so it's fair game to mention it in a news recap. Frustrating when it doesn't match a Nelson-era clip but that's today's modern news programming for ya.

Describe Jerry using one word.
Mine would be "magical"
Wow - funny you should ask that particular question. I've been working on my Jerry Nelson tribute for Muppet Freak and i actually address that very question! I won't reveal it before the article goes live but i'll hint it's a word with two meanings...and either definition is very much associated with Jerry.

I WILL however give a sneak peak of something from the article just because it should get out there as soon as possible (will also create a seperate thread): i propose that in the same way Muppet Fans have adopted September 26 as "Jerry Juhl Day", a day to do something silly, August 23 should similarly be declared "Jerry Nelson Day" from here forth: a day that should both include a brief moment of silence (to represent the silencing of The Muppets' "Big Voice") and also be spent engaging and enjoying (listening and making) music. Of course, this year - we'd be collectively doing this this week to honor Jerry.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
While this is a very sad day for the Muppet World and the family and friends of Jerry, I prefer to be happy about the positive impact this great performer has made on the world.

During his time performing, he brought life to such wonderful characters as The Count, Robin, Gobo, Floyd, and many many others. Not simply by doing a silly voice with a puppet on his hand, but by tapping into different portions of his personality to touch hearts through song or speech. He was part of a team that brought laughter and inspiration to the world, and to me personally.

How many kids learned to count by watching The Count on Sesame Street? How many people shed a tear when Robin began to sing "Bless Us All" on The Muppet Christmas Carol. These are only 2 examples of the great impact that Jerry Nelson has had on the world through the Muppets.

Jerry Nelson was an inspirational man, who lead an extraordinary life and career. He will be missed, but just like Jim Henson and Richard Hunt, his memory will live on every time somebody watches one of his brilliant performances.

R.I.P. Jerry Nelson

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Hoping no one has posted this already here (I'm on a computer that doesn't show pictures or videos here). But I found this while being on Facebook last night.

Someone did already post it but thanks for sharing again. :smile: