Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

Lynnette

Reaction score
... At Muppetfest December 2001 in Santa Monica I finally had a chance to visit in person with him, and he really stole the show that entire weekend. At one point during his part in the q and a(performing Floyd) he took time to ask how many in the audience of 1100 had come from Muppet Central(he was also wearing an MC badge Frogboy had made)

He was the only Muppeteer from then on out who would regularly check in as well as post here on MC, which was very special.
My first thoughts were of Jerry at Muppetfest. He was outstanding, especially during the sing-along parts. He was so engrossed in them. I loved how he came out in the motorized recliner (I don't know for sure, but I think I had seen it before in an episode of Home Improvement). Jerry seemed like he was having as much fun as we all were! I miss him now.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
And now Neil Armstrong is gone, and it's all over the news. Why didn't Jerry receive any attention?
Oh dear! That's terrible! WHAT? Neil Armstrong! Oh geez! I can't believe it! We are losing our greats aren't we?

Vincent L

Reaction score
I never realized he was still alive in the first place

Nasubionna

Reaction score
I'm a little late to this thread, but I think I had some sort of psychic moment the day Jerry died, I am not even kidding.
Even though it is August, I was listening to the soundtrack to “Muppet Christmas Carol” in the car on the way to work that afternoon, and I specifically was thinking about how awesome Jerry Nelson is, and how he seemed to be heavily featured on almost every song.... thinking about his incredible vocal range and charming characterizations, and I was particularly enjoying picking out his voice as various background/minor characters (“no cheeses for us meeces”, lol). So I generally spent a good 2 hours that day thinking about him and his massive amount of talent and how much I love him. I thought about the fan letter and drawing I sent him about 3 months ago, and wondered if he’d ever write back.
And then I get home that night after an extremely long day, and think I should go to bed but instead turn on the computer “just for a second” before going to sleep and low and behold, find out via various Muppet Tumblrs that Jerry passed away. So, naturally, “just a second” turned into an hour of lighting a candle in his honor, scanning a photo out of one of my Muppet books to add to the internet, and making a Tumblr post while listening to various Jerry-centric clips on Youtube. Then when I finally did get to sleep, I actually had a dream that I was with him in a hospital room as he passed, and for awhile after that. Craziness! It was incredibly intense, but even though it was sad, it was peaceful as well. I hope that his actual passing was as peaceful and without pain or distress as possible.

His death was not a huge surprise, but it is still incredibly sad and pretty shocking in a deep, heavy way to me. I'm 31 years old, and he’s just always been there, and always been so happy to be involved in Muppety stuff to the best of his ability, despite his health setbacks. It’s so sad that that won’t be the case any longer.
Jerry was probably my favorite Muppeteer after Jim Henson himself. I am in awe of his vast vocal abilities, and there’s something else about him that I just love, some unique spark I can't quite describe. He does so much heavy lifting for very little public recognition. He was generous to fans, kind and responsive and very funny, open with his thoughts and memories. I think part of my love for him is that he reminds me of my Dad in many ways, both physically and just something about the way he carries himself in interviews. I love his characters. I love listening to him sing.
His talent and the vast amount of good works that he has put into the world cannot be overstated. He was pivotal in my development as a human being, and I will always remember him fondly and with much love. I wish I could have met him and heard that voice in person, and maybe even shook his hand (though I'd really have loved to give him a hug). I hope that he got my letter in time to read my appreciation, but if he didn’t it’s OK because surely he must know how much the world loved him.
Rest in Peace, Jerry Nelson. Thanks for everything.

aussiepuppeteer

Reaction score
I'm glad it made Channel Ten news in Australia - the whole world should know about this extraordinary man and the happiness he has brought to many through his unique and numerous characters. I'm shocked and very sad that he is gone. You'll never be forgotten Jerry, and thank you for being someone I can look up to. Rest in peace :sympathy:

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I have to admit when I heard the news it didn't hit me very hard at first, but then I saw this picture at The Muppet Mindset and then I felt a bit teary:

And then at the same website was this one and it had the same effect:

Rest in peace, Jerry.

meepmuppaphones

Reaction score
I have to admit when I heard the news it didn't hit me very hard at first, but then I saw this picture at The Muppet Mindset and then I felt a bit teary:

And then at the same website was this one and it had the same effect:

Rest in peace, Jerry.
Great post! Really appreciate sharing these pictures but...

I think someone was faster than you posting these pictures.:wink:

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Great post! Really appreciate sharing these pictures but...

I think someone was faster than you posting these pictures.:wink:
Well I have only read the first 5 or so pages so far of this thread but I wanted to let everyone know how those pictures affected me emotionally when I first saw them.