Muppet Babies DVD Box Sets

Sequelcast

Reaction score
I loved Muppet Babies as a kid. In fact, I think I was first introduced to the Muppets through Muppet Babies. I think a big reason for it not being available on DVD is rights issues because the show would use video clips of other movies or TV shows in the background all the time as the titular Muppet Babies went on their adventures around the nursery. The theme song to this show is constantly stuck in my head. Very catchy!

Monstermaster

Reaction score
I think the reason behind this is mainly because of copyright issues regarding some of the movie footage that is used during the imagination scenes.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
I think the reason behind this is mainly because of copyright issues regarding some of the movie footage that is used during the imagination scenes.
As good of a show it may be, this is the unfortunate truth. While torrents and YouTube might be low quality, it's all we got for now.

Hayley B

Reaction score
Could be. Nower days, they may even change the theme song to the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Several pages ago.

One of the writers actually confirmed that wasn't the problem. I guess they hammered out home video rights long ago. Even if that wasn't the case, there's a LOT of episodes that actually didn't use any outside clips (mostly the last season).

The fact of the matter is simple. Disney owns the Muppets, Disney hates making home video releases of anything that isn't a movie. Plus, let's face it... Disney wanted to build the Muppet brand up, Muppet Babies would confuse the license. We'd see a call for more MB stuff than actual Muppet stuff. It's not quite the right time to release that now... you know, if they didn't suck at marketing home videos of TV shows to begin with.

Monstermaster

Reaction score
Several pages ago.

One of the writers actually confirmed that wasn't the problem. I guess they hammered out home video rights long ago. Even if that wasn't the case, there's a LOT of episodes that actually didn't use any outside clips (mostly the last season).

The fact of the matter is simple. Disney owns the Muppets, Disney hates making home video releases of anything that isn't a movie. Plus, let's face it... Disney wanted to build the Muppet brand up, Muppet Babies would confuse the license. We'd see a call for more MB stuff than actual Muppet stuff. It's not quite the right time to release that now... you know, if they didn't suck at marketing home videos of TV shows to begin with.
Disney also owns Marvel as well, and wasn't the Muppet Babies co produced by Marvel?

ScooterFan44

Reaction score
Hi. I'm brand new here & decided to say a few things.
1. I really don't care if it's an offical DVVD release- I have all of MB season 1 on DVD! How? I downloaded eps from youtube & burned them on DVD-Rs. It plays on my DVD player, so it's good enough. I also have the first full sesons of The Chipmunks 1980's cartoon on DVD because I burned them. And I'm only missing a few season 2 episode of MB. If you want it so much like me, burn the episodes onto DVD/DVDs. Problem Solved. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney also owns Marvel as well, and wasn't the Muppet Babies co produced by Marvel?
Television production companies rarely matter when it comes to animated adaptions. Usually the copyright for the show goes with the copyright holders. I'm not sure if it's correct, but that's usually because said copyright holders are the ones that fund the cartoon series. CBS released Filmation's Star Trek while WB owns Filmation's DC cartoons, The Real Ghostbusters, produced by DIC, is owned by Sony, and Henson owns the Fraggle Rock cartoon, also produced by Marvel. There are some cases where the animation production company retains rights to the show (some of Dic's works, but that's because some cases the copyright holders couldn't care less... like the Nintendo cartoons), or shares copyright (like in the case of He-Man... Mattel co-owns the characters with Entertainment Rights, especially the toy rights).

Then there's the messed up case of Saturday Morning Supercade. Every segment is owned by a separate company, and will likely NEVER be released on DVD, even though Sony has official online episodes of Q*bert (as they own the character). Yet Warner Bros has the rights to the other Ruby Spears video game cartoons made in the 80's, Pac-Man and Dragon's Lair.

ScooterFan44

Reaction score
Yeah, they came out looking like a mix of a SP VHS and a Blu-Ray disc. The quality is great. :laugh::wink: