Disney announces Muppet DVDs to be Pan & Scan

beaker

Reaction score
Well, to be honest I wasnt planning on buying these on dvd(or vhs) anyways. Early to mid nineties was awkward at best and it shows(a time when Disney had its tentacles intertwined immensely) Its no surprise Disney is releasing in pan and scan, that shouldnt be a surprise to anyone(I mean wasnt Beaker and Bunsen's musical number snipped?) I am much more a fan of Columbia/Sony Wonder when it comes to releases(They even release BEAR, as Disney doesnt have their name on that)
Ok, sure they butchered MFC, but I was so happy to have that in clear digital form instead of bootleg uk dub vhs I didnt care.

I wont say that there hasnt been a good Muppet film since the mid 80's...I will say though, as far as 'online dvd petitions' go, the Fraggle Rock one has more of my attention.

///beaker///

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by smcguire
Actually, it was Warner Brothers who released "Follow That Bird" as pan and scan, not Disney
Hiya!

Yeah, I knew that and had already posted that about WB and Follow that Bird somewhere before now, either in this forum, in the petition, or in an e-mail to Disney, so I didn't see any reason to really re-write the whole "WB did blah blah" over and over again, especially seeing as everyone here already knows WB did FTB...at least I HOPE everyone knows it. I just don't tend to get all detailed about things I figure someone can realize what I'm talking about anyhow.

Later on!
FOZ

scarecroe

Reaction score
You know, I was thinking that it might do good things for the cause if Ken Plume were to do a story on FilmForce about this. At least a small blurb with a link to the article on MC. The more people this news gets to, the more people can call in and write.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree with that, Croeman....

I hope the word DOES get out. I've been telling folks, but unfortunately my friends aren't as heartfelt as I am about the Muppets.

Maybe we should flood the White House with calls??

FOZ

(Or do you think I should go back to my threats of smacking folks in the back of the head with my rubber chicken?)

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
Keep it up folks.

Everyone CALL CALL CALL CALL Disney. Also, you can contact Henson Company and let them know that you want them to step in an take action on your behalf. Let them know that as muppet fans you really want their films in widescreen. They don't have direct control over these titles that Disney owns but they *do* have INFLUENCE. Tell them to use it.

Go to henson.com website and email every contact you can find. Call the phone numbers and ask to speak with their PR reps and talk to them directly (you have this right!).

Be polite to them, and let them know that the reason you care so much is because you're a muppet fan who wants to see his/her muppet films shown in their original widescreen format regardless of the studio that "owns" the rights to the DVD release.

Go to it!!!

BTW, the NEXT step, in addition to petitioning Henson to release Fraggle Rock on DVD (the entire series, in order!!!) is to hit W.B. and get Follow That Bird in 16x9 WS. It's such a shame they crapped on this title right after we won the Willy Wonka WS battle!

-dave

Stulz

Reaction score
Bunsen & beaker song

FOZZI3B3AR - i'm pretty sure that song was cut BEFORE the theatrical release. I remember seeing the movie for the 1st time and realizing that song wasn't in the film.

Same with Muppet Treasure Island.. there's a cut in the song Cabin Fever.. if you listen to the soundtrack the song has extra parts that are not in the movie.

Chris

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Aw, man! I'd be almost certain i saw it in the theatrical release! I just really feel like i saw that scene!

FOZ

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

I went to the Crew Screening and Premiere in London, and i am sure i saw that scene.

See ya

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thanks, Warrick; I just knew I wasn't THAT bonkerz.

FOZ

Grandmaster C

Reaction score
First post folks, go easy on me...

Originally posted by FOZZI3B3AR
I hope the word DOES get out. I've been telling folks, but unfortunately my friends aren't as heartfelt as I am about the Muppets.
Personally, I think that it shouldn't just be a Muppets fan thing, anyone who considers themself a movie fan should be making sure that these movies are released on DVD as they originally presented.

To me, it doesn't make sense that Disney is doing this either, especially since just recently, they released some of their animated classics (which are "family movies") like Peter Pan, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and Oliver & Company in widescreen, so I don't understand why the Muppets aren't worthy of the same treatment.

(Or do you think I should go back to my threats of smacking folks in the back of the head with my rubber chicken?)
That doesn't sound like a bad idea! :smile: