Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
Steve has said he really misses performing Rizzo but since he's taken over as Kermit he doesn't get to a whole lot anymore. Hopefully this next one will let Steve perform not just Kermit but also Rizzo.
I've been saying this for years. That rationale doesn't make a lick of sense. Jim performed Kermit for 35 years and STILL had the time to perform Dr. Teeth, Rowlf, Waldorf, and the Swedish Chef in almost every Muppet production while also playing Ernie at the same time on Sesame Street. I refuse to believe that just because Steve performs Kermit he doesn't have time for his other characters. If anything, it's probably more along the lines of the WRITERS of current productions CHOOSING not to include characters like Rizzo or Bean.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
The writers for "The Muppets" did choose not to include characters like Rizzo and Bean, simply because they wanted the focus to be on TMS characters. And there's the fact that Kermit is in more demand than some of Steve's other characters. When was the last time we saw Rizzo on a talk show? When did we ever see Bean on a talk show? For that matter, where has Bean been for the last seven years? They'll probably be included in the next one. So I do agree that the lack of other Steve characters is due to the demand of Kermit (and I suppose Beaker and Statler). I kind of wish the writers had done a better job with integrating Rizzo into LTS. All of his lines could have easily been given to Pepe.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I've been saying this for years. That rationale doesn't make a lick of sense. Jim performed Kermit for 35 years and STILL had the time to perform Dr. Teeth, Rowlf, Waldorf, and the Swedish Chef in almost every Muppet production while also playing Ernie at the same time on Sesame Street. I refuse to believe that just because Steve performs Kermit he doesn't have time for his other characters. If anything, it's probably more along the lines of the WRITERS of current productions CHOOSING not to include characters like Rizzo or Bean.
Okaaaaaay you could always take it up with Steve or Disney about it? I was just making a statement that he made.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I remember hearing an actor in an hour-long television series talk about this same sort of thing. It was a fantasy in which some characters inhabited one world, and some inhabited another, and a very few crossed back and forth. He was one of the main characters and one who crossed back and forth between the two worlds. One day, one of the producers (or directors--can't remember!) came over and said, in a nice-ish sort of way, "Hey, I noticed you've been a little slow to some of your scenes lately. We're trying to watch the production budget...blah, blah, blah." And the actor stared at him in amazement and said, a little angrily, "Well, yes, but that's because I'm IN every scene every week! And I'm just trying to make sure that I'm ready for my next scene because my head's still in the last scene we shot!" And the producer (or director--can't remember) was, well, stunned. "Really? You're in every shot?" And they looked at the scripts and he realized that the actor was pretty much on-screen the entire time. It was grueling schedule. So they started trying to find ways to build a little time into HIS schedule by shooting things that DIDN'T involve him in between all the things that DID. The point I'm making is that Kermit is on stage a lot! Whatever is happening usually centers in some way around him. The best example I can think of is in TGMC, when he was either on stage with Fozzie, or onstage with Piggy (I realize that Frank was doing double-duty also), but he was almost always on stage (Okay, okay--on camera. Sheesh. Picky, picky.) So I think the challenge would be to find scenes that involved Rizzo that didn't also involve Kermit (or some other Steve character). My first thought was to have had the rats happily squatting in Kermit's office in The Muppets, but of course Steve does Statler now, so that would have been somewhat challenging. (Steve and Dave are just wonderful cronies as Statler and Waldorf--a good pairing between those two fine muppeteers.)
I LOVE Rizzo, and most of us feel like Rizzo is one of the original The Muppet Show characters because the little guy has just gnawed his way into our hearts, and because he was a new character that came to us in one of the movies and stayed (unlike the frogs from marketing, who just went back to wherever they came from, mostly). And his easy friendship with Gonzo sort of cemeted that deal, officially branding him as one of OURS. (Another great Steve/Dave buddy pairing.) So Rizzo feels like home folk--and has earned that right--and I DO miss him a lot when he's not around, but I do understand. I am guessing, but I'll bet if you asked STEVE if he would like a sit-down for a few, or to do some scenes with Rizzo instead, that he'd probably opt for hanging with our favorite rodent--but it's probably not always up to him.
I'm enjoying Steve's Kermit more and more, but Rizzo can be a guest at my table any day he wants. Let's hope our favorite household pest gets more to do in the NEXT movie. (Yay for NEXT MOVIE!)

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Well Kermit kinda has to be on stage alot Lol...anyways point is is Steve said he hopes to be able to perform Rizzo more in the future. I should note this statement was made a few months before the film came out. Like it was done in August of 2011 so they weren't really releasing a lot of details but when Rizzo was brought up that's when Steve said he doesn't get to do him a whole lot but that he misses performing him and always had a lot of fun with Rizzo.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Well, they're releasing a Muppet Star Wars Bean Bunny action figure, so he must be included at some point or another.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
In the Muppet family, I suppose, rather than fading into the storage room?

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Oops. Yes, that is what I meant. I'm sure he'll be included in future productions.