Guitar Tablature/Chords

RevTieDye

Reaction score
Cap vs. Bar chord

Fragglemuppet said:
Cool, thanks! Now if I only had a guitar...
:sing: I'll download the files anyway, and save them for a later date.
I hate to sound clueless, but could you explain the difference between capo and bar? Thanks.
I know getup answered this somewhat, but I'll be more detailed. (That's just what I do.)

If you play an E-chord (for instance) without using your index finger, you can then slide it up one Fret and lay your index finger across all 6 strings, and you have an F chord, keep sliding and you can playing more chords. For instance slide one more fret and you can play F#. I have no idea how to play F# with a regular open chord. You can transform an A-chord the same way, and play most any major chord learning 2 fingerings.

This requires the development of an obscure muscle in your thumb that you don't hardly use for anything else, and it can be quite painful until you build it up. The only other place I've used that muscle is in performing puppetry. Unfortunately for me, I puppeteer with my right hand, and play bar-chords with my left, so I had to got through it for both hands. (Okay, that's way too much detail).

A capo is the clamp-like device like that you clip onto the fret board, and it shortens the strings, acting as a new bridge, allowing you to play in a new key without learning new chords.

Shade601

Reaction score
I saw somebody wanted the chords for Pukka Pukka ..etc. They're pretty simple. Its just a loop of G, A, C, and D. You can dress it up a little if you feel like it, but that's really all there is to it.