How to start making puppets?

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Nice tutorial Adam. Thanks. Kinda like the part where you show how to make a pattern for the head by covering it. I'll have to give that a try sometime. First I thing I need to find a stand

Adam Kreutinger

Reaction score
I have seen people use a mic stand or a music stand. even a plunger works as a perfect puppets stand too. But i always encourage people to buy a new one. just to be sanitary. lol

~Adam

SJohnson

Reaction score
Swazzle Workshop Sale...

Hello puppet builders and puppet fans. Years ago I posted a tutorial on how to make a puppet through my blog Puppet 101. Now I'm going to be auctioning that puppet for a good cause!

For those that haven't heard, former Muppeteer and Puppet School founder Michael Earl, has been diagnosed with colon cancer. Sadly, he doesn't have health insurance, so the puppetry community is trying to raise money to help pay for his treatment. A former student of his set up this site to help him out: bit.ly/OE3p50
Here at Swazzle, we wanted to do what we could, so we're having a Workshop Sale! We'll be selling puppet building materials including fur, fabric, feathers and fleece, puppet costumes, puppet props, audio equipment including speakers, amps and microphones. There will also be a silent auction where you could win the above mentioned puppet: http://swazzle.com/blogs/2006/03/friday-fun-meet-ratchet.html

When: Saturday, October 20th, 8am to 4pm
Where: Swazzle Workshop, 4525 San Fernando Rd., Unit F, Glendale CA, 90035
Free street parking available.
This is for a good cause, and 100% of the money raised will go to the Michael Earl cancer fundraiser. Click the link, and please help me spread the word: http://swazzle.com/wp/?p=1460

Furshizzle

Reaction score
I know it's harder than it seems. I can sculpt ok, so I'm trying to do something with pour-able or shape-able materials.

Furshizzle

Reaction score
I'm looking at SmoothOn products, and considering spending my last $200 on some 2 part foam epoxy, but not sure if it will work. Is there another source for foam epoxy, as SmoothOn products are good, but expensive. I went through one batch but the mouths were too hard to move. (I'm trying a fluffier foam next time...it's rated by how much the foam expands, thus how flexible it is.) To stop the foam from sticking, I learned to use non-water based silicone caulk, since sticking was the big issue. The troll in Labyrinth has some of the qualities of my first attempt, as the foam seems a little too thick as I want a flexible face that a puppeteer can creatively shape from inside the head.

Maisiethemouse

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm really interested in the muppets and would like to start making my own puppets.

I already have a template and everything else I need apart from foam and that's because I need to know what thickness the foam needs to be. Could anyone tell me?

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I've found that 1/2 inch foam seems to work best for me. It's thin enough that it's plyable enough but it also has a form to work with. I want to say most people use between 1/2-1 inch for basic making. You'd want thicker foam it you're gonna carve features.