"Peanuts" movie in development for November 2015 release

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm getting tired of the emperor's new clothes attitude when it comes to CGI cartoons. It's still really not that good yet but everyone's pretending it is because it's the most modern.
I greatly dislike the fact that everyone blames a medium outright due to the overuse by copycat studios. There were just as many garbage traditionally animated movies because of Disney as there are CGI because of Pixar. When it comes to any animated project the medium is just a way to doll up the story. A bad story will make a movie suck regardless of how pretty it looks. Even Disney made some really awful films with bad stories and good animation. CGI's the way to go only because of how successful Pixar and Dreamworks are. Meanwhile, the three stop motion films this year underperformed, and that sends a bad message to Hollywood. There are plenty of garbage CGI films that go nowhere as well.

As for CGI... it's as good as it's going to get without becoming uncanny valley. Pixar and Dreamworks made it when they stylized the humans to look like cartoon characters instead of real people. I like Shrek, but I dislike the look. Madagascar, Megamind, and Kung Fu Panda all had a much better design overall.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yay! TMZ posted that video now. Here is what they had to say...
Hooray for trashing something before it's even in the script stage! :big_grin: I prefer more information before I complain the heck about it and then ultimately say it wasn't that bad.

Had it been Sony, you know I would have torn that film a new one before anything happened. Though, I did like Hotel Transylvania. Best thing they ever did. That's not saying much.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
You Know What Won't Be The Same For Peanuts Though In CGI
Woodstock
You See Those Lines On The Yellow Bird Himself
You Can't DRAW That In CGI!!
So If There Gonna DRAW Woodstock
THERE GONNA HAVE MAKE HIM LOOK GOOD!!
So I'd Say 2015 Is The Most Impressive Time To At Least DRAW The Little Bird If He's In It!!

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
I started to think of what they did to Azrael in that Smurfs movie. I hope they don't make him like a real looking bird with animated features.
Yeah, I Agree, I Don't Want Woodstock Looking Realistic, Same Goes With Snoopy, There My TWO Favorite Characters And I Don't Want Them Being Ruined By Realism!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I started to think of what they did to Azrael in that Smurfs movie. I hope they don't make him like a real looking bird with animated features.
I don't think that would be the case. If they were going to "realify" Woodstock, they'd have to realify Snoopy and the kids, and it wouldn't look a thing like Peanuts.

It comes down to this. The Schulz estate or family or whatever has been very strict as of late. The TV specials were directly based off of comic strips (existing Schulz written stories)... they finally loosened up enough with Boom's Peanuts comics. Though the staff was preselected and I can imagine anyone else had to pass rigorous standards. It seems that they have very high standards of trying to keep the integrity of the characters and the brand, and those standards would squash any attempt to make a standard poor kid's movie we're all fearing.

Jim Davis may have signed off on the lousy Garfield movies, but he's signed off on a lot of things. Besides... everyone has seen Peanuts in some way shape or form. I don't think anyone wants to mess with that.

KirbTreelo05

Reaction score

Actually, I sort of take it back... they do look serviceable in CGI, but you lose the line quality, and Snoopy's bound to look weird in turn around. But the other Peanuts characters look alright.
That was actually pretty good! :O It makes me wonder now if the film will be done in a similar fashion, or will they change their designs to fit the CGI better...

Drtooth

Reaction score
That was actually pretty good! :O It makes me wonder now if the film will be done in a similar fashion, or will they change their designs to fit the CGI better...
The difference is that it's a PS2 cut scene animation, where as a movie will most likely have a higher budget and better animation. Though there's a LOT of work involved getting Snoopy to translate to 3-D better than that attempt. How do you deal with a character that often is in profile, but you see both of his eyes on the side of his head? I know the creators of it managed to work something out with Homestar, but that involves only showing him in that 3/4ths view in everything. Mainly their puppet and figure line. Snoopy would look weird if they did a more literal interpretation, or else he'll be pretty inexpressive like in that clip.