Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I recently had the strangest observation while thinking about the movie again (which I've been doing on a regular basis lately as we approach the first anniversary of its release and the Christmas season, which is always a Muppety time for me anyway)...

Before Walter does his big debut in the telethon, Kermit and the Muppets are frantically trying to think of a final act, and after the Scooter line that always makes me laugh ("We could get Bunsen to set Beaker on fire!" "MEE-MEE-MEE!"), Fozzie says, "I could bust out the fart shoes again!"

Now cut to the scene in which the Muppets are sadly leaving the theatre after losing it to Tex Richmond. We hear Fozzie's fart shoes, to which Rowlf quietly chastises him ("Not now, Fozzie").

What that means, essentially, is that Fozzie was so desperate to help Kermit and save the theatre that he ran backstage and got his questionable new patent-pending prop in the hopes that it would generate some laughs and dollars.

Yes, I know that's a bit of a stretch, but to me that illustrates that the heart Segel, Stoller and Bobin infused in this movie even extended to little gags like this, which is part of what still makes The Muppets special for me nearly a year later.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What that means, essentially, is that Fozzie was so desperate to help Kermit and save the theatre that he ran backstage and got his questionable new patent-pending prop in the hopes that it would generate some laughs and dollars.

Yes, I know that's a bit of a stretch, but to me that illustrates that the heart Segel, Stoller and Bobin infused in this movie even extended to little gags like this, which is part of what still makes The Muppets special for me nearly a year later.
There was a rumor going around that the fart shoes originally did it, essentially being a Checkov's Gun, meaning it had real reason to be there. If that was true, it must've been in an earlier draft. But I do like that theory of yours. it does seem like the sort of thing Fozzie would do.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There was a rumor going around that the fart shoes originally did it, essentially being a Checkov's Gun, meaning it had real reason to be there. If that was true, it must've been in an earlier draft.
I'll be honest, if the movie had ended that way my blog review wouldn't have been nearly so complimentary. :shifty: Heh

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well ya cant really rely on fart shoes to save the day, but they sure are funny!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll be honest, if the movie had ended that way my blog review wouldn't have been nearly so complimentary. :shifty: Heh
Like I said, it would probably have been a source of massive annoyance to the cast because that was what it took. But it only works as a Checkov's Gun joke.

Of course, I kinda complained about a similar joke in that Meatball film I hate so much (I've seen 10 minutes, and that's 10 minutes more than what I wanted to see from it).

Plus, the brick joke they had instead was much funnier anyway. Too bad it happened so late into the end of the movie and became a rushed bit.