Sesame Street Classic Episodes Vol. 2 now available for download on iTunes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
3171 and 3174 have aired on Noggin as well.
Oh. I read that before these episodes were added to iTunes Muppet Wiki only had (previously incomplete) info on one of the volume 2 episodes, and somehow didn't notice that the Muppet Wiki pages DO mention that they aired as part of 123 Sesame Street. And I was aware that the wiki doesn't have info on every episode shown as part of 123 Sesame Street.

Just watched episode 598. There must have been a week or two of snow on the street (most of the season 5 episodes included feature snow). I have my own thoughts and observations.

Episode 597 is titled "Sherlock Hemlock Investigates" and 598 "A Sesame Street Winter Wonderland" on iTunes, but I wonder if those might have been mixed up, even though both apply to both episodes. I feel epsiode 597 has more winter to it, and this has more Sherlock Hemlock (him solving a mystery on the street, in addition to a caveman sketch), even though both episodes include Sherlock in the same number of scenes (only in episode 597 he has a minor role in one sketch).

The scene with David putting a hat on Oscar seems like a remake of a scene from epsiode 406, only here the scene has snow and David is there isntead of Gordon. Speaking of Gordon is he in any of the season 5 episodes on iTunes (there's still two I have yet to watch)?

This is the first time I saw a Wally and Ralph segment. While it is very funny, I feel it doesn't have the same charm that Buddy and Jim had.

During the scene with Sherlock Hemlock and Luis, when Sherlock learned that Luis' pencil is "tall and yellow", I expected Bert to come in. But he didn't. I also wondered at first if this scene might have been an insert. It looked like Luis rolled his sleeves up (why would he need to do that during winter?, and I didn't see any winter clothes on Sherlock or Big Bird (no scarf? no earmuffs? No little bits of snow over their bodies?). I couldn't quite tell whether Jay's outfit is wintery-enough, thoug. But Luis is shown wearing the same orange shirt in other scenes (though I think he's worn it in other episodes from this era).

I was surprised to see that the late-1980s "News Flash" title card was put on the Sesame Street News segment, as opposed to the original or black and white card. I'd read that the show didn't replace the previous title cards in repeats of older sketches until the late-1980s/early-1990s, but here it's the late-1980s one. And while the late-1980s title card often replaces older title cards online and on DVD releases, they normally seem to show what would have been in the episodes as aired. I'm also surprised by how good the picture quality on the title card looks compared to the rest of the sketch, especially considering the title card sometimes looks poorer-quality on certain DVD releases.

I also noticed a fade-in from the previous sketch and a fade-out to the next one. While these kinds of transitions were common back then, it makes me wonder if maybe they needed to cut and replace a segment and used the 1980s master tape for this. I'd like to think Sesame Workshop didn't add segments to episodes that had to be cut (I think it's episode 123 that had something cut and the run time on the iTunes release is two minutes shorter than the other episodes). Of course, when restoring episodes, it would make more sense to restore the master tapes for individual sketches and copy those onto the full episodes as opposed to spending the time and money to restore the entire episodes, which would mean spending time/money to restore every segment over and over and over again.

I've also noticed that when Mr. MacIntosh appears his cart is empty. Either that or it's all closed.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just watched episode 1854. As with the other classic episodes on iTunes (at least the ones I've seen) it's great. Interesting to see Snuffy sick. Also interesting that Maria and Linda (I think) seemed to believe that Snuffy might be real even if they think he's imaginary. Big Bird's line about Snuffy and Bob never being at the same place at the same time was interesting, because there were occasions when they were at the same place but Bob didn't see Snuffy (due to Bob looking the other way or being distracted), not to mention the time Bob DID see Snuffy but Big Bird thought he imagined him (since Snuffy wore black-and-white stripped overralls which Bob mentioned).

I really like that cartoon with the triangle at the art museum, and the cartoon with an "O" falling out of a sign (funny that the owner first replaced the O with a pizza). And Grover's song "I Am Proud of Me" is good. For some reason I always find it interesting when I hear about songs I hadn't heard of from the classic era sung by certain major characters, like Grover, Ernie, Bert, and Cookie Monster. I can see there being many classic songs I hadn't heard of that Big Bird, Oscar, Snuffy, or the adults sang that I hadn't heard of.

DePingPong

Reaction score
Is there anyone who has Classics Vol.2 that can send the episodes through email? :O

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Note that I never said that a pre-Clash Elmo appeared in any of the season 15 episodes, I was merely hoping he'd be in some of those episodes.
Nearly a year later. (Guess I should read these threads more often. Lol.) Okay. Sorry about the confusion.

It would be nice if they'd come out with some episodes with Brian's or Richard's Elmo though. Maybe on Volume 3. Lol. You never know.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Well i downloaded both vols. and love every bit of it. I'm going to start watching the episode called or what they name it by "Here Comes Cookie Monster" and can't wait to watch it. My favorite one so far is the one where Buffy, Gordon, Luis and David all get stuck on top of the roof of 123 Sesame Street. That kind of storyline i don't think would work in this day of age. Now if they threw in a couple of Muppet characters maybe but when all you have is the human characters and not hardly any Muppets i know kids they would change the channel. I know i would download the episodes if they did all the trips they took on the show on iTunes. Here's hoping for more to come.

cjd874

Reaction score
I downloaded selected episodes from Classics 1 and 2. I didn't bother with the Season 1 or Season 10 premieres since they're on the Old School DVD sets.
I love all of the episodes, but I especially love the ones from Season 5 (592, 597, 598, 600) and Season 10 (1257, 1261, and 1285). It was great to see all the classic clips, from the Mad Painter and the Cliff Roberts cartoons to the Muppet skits featuring iconic characters (Ernie, Bert, and Cookie Monster) and also rare ones (Roosevelt Franklin, Harvey Kneeslapper, and Bad Bart). The street scenes are well-executed and highly entertaining. The cartoons and films are lively and brilliant, in general. The human cast is (and always has been) extremely talented. And of course, Jim Henson and the Muppeteers are superb together. This is further proof that this was one of the best, if not the best, period for Sesame Street (even though I'm a 1990s kid).

DePingPong

Reaction score
Wow, almost a year since I last posted on this.

I've gotten both Vol.1 and 2. I love them both. There are a few select episodes I'd like to be included. But maybe we'll get a Vol. 3

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
Wow, almost a year since I last posted on this.

I've gotten both Vol.1 and 2. I love them both. There are a few select episodes I'd like to be included. But maybe we'll get a Vol. 3
I keep hoping for a Vol. 3--with "new" 70s eps I haven't seen in decades!

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I'd like to ask, how much does it cost to purchase each of Volumes 1 and 2? And would I have to pay for each episode or each season?

It's too bad there was never a Volume 3 or greater. I bet if Volume 3 would have seen the light of day, it probably would have included Seasons 2, 11 and 21, my best guess.