How to begin building a Miss Piggy Replica?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
i think you need to do a lot of skechtes first off ethier that or lots of pictures of diffrent angles. now doing a clay scale model would also help, but would take more time. you would also have to be able to make it big enough to fit your hand. Good luck I can't wait to see what your fianl puppet will look like.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Was looking through my old copy of life magazine with piggy president on the cover. There is an amazing picture inside of piggy's 'naked' body being built in the muppet workshop!! Might help some of you puppet builders?
Chris

Mraven322

Reaction score
sounds interesting!I'd be intersted in seeing it .do you have the issue #no?

fragglerockr

Reaction score
I think most people are assuming that the final product will be in clay thus making the puppet very heavy. That's not how this works. As Muppetperson said - The clay is only there to make the positive shape you want to cast (i.e. the sculpture). The final product will made from very lightweight foam latex. You will have to decide which kind you want to use. This will determine whether or not it will have to be baked. Some foams cure on their own and require no baking. These foams are generally harder than the soft foam latex used for Piggy but that is up to your discretion.

I would make this caveat - if you don't know what your doing you should learn on something small and not so important. This can be a very expensive process and if you screw it up your first time out you will have a mess, will end up frustrated and possibly very angry.

Most prototypes of props, masks, and prosthetics are made this way. First you sculpt the clay positive. Then you will have to cover the sculpture with plaster bandages making sure to allow both the front and the back half to be cast and able to separate once dry. Once the plaster is dry you pull both halves of the mold apart (this can be very tricky) so you must be careful. If you destroy the mold in the process you lose everything and have to start over. You then scrape out the remaining clay and make sure to clean both halves of the mold very carefully. This will destroy your original clay sculpture. Now you have a negative mold. Then you just follow the instructions for whatever kind of foam you get to make your casting. Once poured, baked (if necessary - be careful the fumes are toxic so have plenty of ventilation), then trimmed, you head will be ready for flocking, painting, eyes, mouth, hair, etc.

If this seems too much, might I suggest patterning the head out of sheet foam or carving it from a block.

Bridget

Reaction score
Yup, this muppet is very complex. But don't give up! Work on her little by little and I cannot wait to see your final product! :excited:

kevin robson

Reaction score
I made my miss piggy out of
  • foam rubber sheets
  • stuffing
  • polar fleece fabric
my aviator is my puppet miss piggy

kevin robson

Reaction score
yes I made Kermit as well after friends said you must have Kermit if you have miss piggy