Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
I was shocked when I heard about this. I mean, for the most part I've never really liked Elmo, but I thought Kevin Clash was kind of a cool dude. I went to the SST40 event at William Paterson University a few years ago, where Kevin and some of the other Muppeteers showed up (with Muppets, of course). It was a fun evening.

Here's hoping everything works out okay in the end.
We were at William Paterson as well... I keep thinking back to it because now I think I was totally halluncinating the story he told about (I thought) traveling and calling home to his wife and kids and talking to his daughter as Elmo. It was news to me that Kevin has been openly gay (as I read in some articles). His personal life is none of my business and of course that doesn't weigh in on the 'underage' issue here, never the less, I was surprised because of that story alone.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
In a nutshell: the original accuser has recanted his recant, claiming he was pressured into recanting, and decided he wants to resume pressing charges against Kevin; a second accuser has come forward saying that Kevin lured him into a relationship; and the last we heard, two other accusers have also crawled out of the woodwork.
Actually that's more than I knew. I sort of thought even after the accuser recanted. Kevin just felt uncomfortable out of what happened. I didn't hear about what happened afterwards.

I've actually been thinking about the situation about how we won't hear a new Elmo voice for a few years. (Except maybe for live appearances. I wonder about what will happen with that in the Macy's parade.) I remember how when Henson died, Steve didn't take over as Ernie right away. Ernie and Kermit didn't appear in anything new. They just played inserts with those characters. I often wondered how that would work with Elmo. I guess it probably wouldn't because his appearances more prominent in street scenes (and in "Elmo the Musical"). Also, they don't play as many inserts as they used to. Maybe I'm getting a bit off topic here, but I can't help but wonder about this. I know they can't write Elmo out of the show, so a recast is probably inevitable unless anything changes within the next few years, but what can you do?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
As Elmo will still be in the parade Thursday, I wonder which puppeteer gets the thankless task of performing Elmo (to Kevin Clash's prerecorded vocals).
Prerecorded? I didn't think of that. Okay, so now if I hear Kevin singing as Elmo tomorrow I won't be in the dark as to what's going on with that. Lol.

Sorry to double post again. I keep forgetting to use the edit command.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually that's more than I knew. I sort of thought even after the accuser recanted. Kevin just felt uncomfortable out of what happened. I didn't hear about what happened afterwards.
Yeah, the first accuser was finally identified as Shelbum Sleazens, an actor/model, the second accuser, a man who looks like a woman named Cecil, gave a press conference with his lawyer last night, claiming that Kevin would grope him, masturbate to him, among other things, and it wasn't until years later that they start having intercourse with each other. Then, at the latest, two more accusers came forward, all wanting to sue Kevin, painting a picture of him as a sexually deprived monster who uses his power to lure young, underaged boys into sexual relationships with him.
I've actually been thinking about the situation about how we won't hear a new Elmo voice for a few years. (Except maybe for live appearances. I wonder about what will happen with that in the Macy's parade.) I remember how when Henson died, Steve didn't take over as Ernie right away. Ernie and Kermit didn't appear in anything new. They just played inserts with those characters. I often wondered how that would work with Elmo. I guess it probably wouldn't because his appearances more prominent in street scenes (and in "Elmo the Musical"). Also, they don't play as many inserts as they used to. Maybe I'm getting a bit off topic here, but I can't help but wonder about this. I know they can't write Elmo out of the show, so a recast is probably inevitable unless anything changes within the next few years, but what can you do?
Don't forget, there was The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson a few months after Jim died, this was the first we heard Steve's Kermit.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I thought of that as well, but having a "Muppets Celebrate Kevin Clash" might be too far fetched since he's still alive and I don't think they'd feel comfortable telling children about what went on with that. It's a good thought though.

dwmckim

Reaction score
The more i learn about his accusers, the more i have a hard time buying anything they're selling. I'm also convinced at this point that just about anybody who had any kind of relationship with them could sue them for "psychological damages" - i know i'd be psychologically damaged just from being seated next to them in a restaurant. As much as i'd like to support "victims' rights" in theory, i'm glad these guys' names have now entered the public record because you don't get to tarnish a man's reputation/career like that with the main goal of seeking a large financial settlement for yourself - and doing so mainly via media outlets instead of via police - without having the same amount of public scrutiny and media glare focused back on yourself as well. No "blue dot" for you.

I'd been thinking maybe he could become involved with Puppet Up.
I was thinking Henson Alternative projects in general would be a good place for him to work on next but probably not Puppet Up/Stuffed and Unstrung specifically - the combination of (a) the focus on the performer as much as the puppet and (b) live audiences that may be unpredictable, unruly, or comprised of members who may show up looking to cause trouble might not be the best idea.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Yeah, the first accuser was finally identified as Shelbum Sleazens, an actor/model
An unsuccessful actor and model, might I add.

These three new accusers are obviously digging for cash/limelight. This is pure fraud and defamation of character. This Cecil jerk is the worst. He's clearly an exhibitionist, an attention-seeker, and a gold digger.

He has been quoted on his Facebook as saying "this is the stepping stone I need."

ftnpro

Reaction score
Seeing Elmo singing on the Sesame Street Macy's float makes me feel a little bit better.

mo

Reaction score
I'm just so sad, I found out about twenty minutes ago and I can't stop frowning or feeling bad inside, i just wish the best for kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.