Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

mimitchi33

Reaction score
This movie is my favorite movie of all time! It is funny, cute, colorful, has a great plot, had great songs, had some of the greatest characters from a great franchise, and taught me to believe in my childhood and to reach for my dreams. Thank you, Disney, for such a great movie. I'm looking forward to the sequel next year.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I've only gotten to watch The Muppets about six times this week :smile:) It's a great workout video!) but I have a few of things to add:

Did anyone else catch that the two rubber chickens that Fozzie is showing to Walter are named Fran and Louise, as in Fran Brill and Louise Gold. What a lovely tribute!!

Let's talk about nakedness for a moment, shall we?
Okay--this is just a little bit of a snark, but I am always amused by the timing of Kermit's nudity. When they arrived at the theater to do the telethon, he's au naturale. Then, he apparently changes into this tux (Why, I can't imagine) for his conversation with Scooter about the schedule, and then with Veronica. THEN, he has to get naked again to appear in the "O" and then he puts his tux to do the introductions.
I'm also sort of intrigued by his decision to go to talk to Piggy naked. The reason this stands out to me is because he's already wearing his tuxedo (and looking very debonair, I might add) when he decides to talk to her. Was he hoping that his nudity would make him appear more vulnerable? Or just because he thinks Piggy will find him more irresistible naked? (Conniving little frog-fink.)
Scooter also seems to change clothes a bit back stage. He's wearing his trusty jacket during most of the show, but he changes into his tux when Kermit asks him to host.
Fozzie also changes from his normal furry self into a tuxedo'd version for the finale. But he has changed back into his regular fur before they walk out. Scooter does NOT change back into his regular clothes, leaving in his tuxedo. (He also looks quite dapper in his tux.) I was sorry that they didn't include all his lines from the blooper reel about them being owned by Tex Richman, which I thought were truly wonderful. David Rudman is doing a really lovely job with Scooter, capturing all of his nerdy, wistful, hyper-efficient wonderfulness. Also, although I've mentioned it before, I once again find Scooter's protestation that he doesn't appear on stage funny and charming--WATCH him while they are cleaning up, singing into the broom handle. The kid is a ham, just like the rest of them, and I always love it when he gets a chance to shine onstage.
Inexplicably, while Walter is on stage, several of the muppets change back into their regular attire. We see The Newsman in his tux for the finale, but in his plaid jacket for the phones. We see Fozzie in his tux watching Watler backstage, then in his regular fur after. Sam also appears sans tux on the phone lines after appearing backstage in his tux while Walter sings. Piggy seems to change clothes and hairstyles throughout the entire movie, but--of course--we're used to that, aren't we? So no big....
(I do, in fact, realize that all these costume issues are really the result of editing a lot of footage into a movie that can't contain all of it, but I can't help but try to make sense out of what we see--and have a little fun with it.)

Does it strike anybody else as funny that Kermit's idea of advertising is to have Scooter hand out fliers? Twitter, anyone? Or the internet?

I think that Peter Linz's masterful handling of Walter's body language in the scene where Gary encouraged him to go onstage for the muppets is just perfect. The way that Walter's entire body betrays his insecurity is touching.

I love the way Beaker hides almost his entire head in his tuxedo when they are panicking backstage before Walter goes on.

Hmmm, what else...? I admit to being baffled by complaints about Gary & Mary and the resolution of their relationship, especially since it it THEIR relationship that reminds Kermit that he needs to set things right with Piggy. I found Jason and Amy very charming additions to the cast and was glad to have their help.

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll think of something else while I'm working out tonight....

Hubert

Reaction score
Wow, love all those cool little observations. Didn't catch the Fran and Louise thing, but that is a fantastic tribute to two great performers.

Also, handing out fliers does seem a bit strange considering that the Muppets seem to be gearing more towards technological usage in their productions, but I guess they wanted to retain the original feel of the old fashioned flow? No wonder Hobo Joe is the only one who came...he's the only one that bothers to read those pieces of tree.

And you are making me want to go back and watch this movie today just so I can see some of the little things you are talking about. :smile:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
And you are making me want to go back and watch this movie today just so I can see some of the little things you are talking about. :smile:
So did you? Go back and watch it?

I've watched it about six times this week. I watched all my muppet Christmas specials but I apparently wasn't "full" yet, so I'm revisiting EVERYTHING ELSE! (I'm watching The Muppets NOW while I ski on my Nordic Track! Let's hear it for technology!)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You are aware that if the frog has his signature 11-point collar on, he doesn't consider himself to be naked right?

Beaker tucking his head in when panicked, heh, that's a signature gag for him.

There is one thing that bugs me, it happens during the finale reprise of Life's A Happy Song. We know Jerry voiced the telethon announcer, but he also voiced a character who says: "Would you please stop singing? We've already heard this song." Who was that? I can't identify him, unless it was Mr. Johnson and I don't think Sesame would let that slip past them.

Amy Adams has these weirdish notes when she sings. Listen to when she sings "Mary, will you marrrrrry me" and "What happens at a Me Party stays at a Me Party."
Incidently, I love that song, shame it like a few others got cut for timelength reasons.

Already said this, but the full-on version of the arches and the finale version of Rainbow Connection were the two moments that made me smile the broadest in fannish glee.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
There is one thing that bugs me, it happens during the finale reprise of Life's A Happy Song. We know Jerry voiced the telethon announcer, but he also voiced a character who says: "Would you please stop singing? We've already heard this song." Who was that? I can't identify him, unless it was Mr. Johnson and I don't think Sesame would let that slip past them.
I haven't heard it in awhile, but I always thought that was Dave Goelz doing his "Waldorf" voice. I'll have to check back.

Hubert

Reaction score
So did you? Go back and watch it?
*nervous* Uh...hehehehe...uh...

Hm...that is an interesting thought...I'll check into that, since now it has sparked my curiosity also.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Um, are you talking about when Tex Richmond comes along and says that? Because he does say that, right about the time the muppaphones are on....

And Amy does her "weird voice" things for (as Gonzo would say) dramatic emphasis. It's not scatting--that's a different sort of vocalization, but she is doing a sort of campy, emotional thing to show the emotion of the character....

Did that help?

Hubert

Reaction score
Yes, Ru just stole the words from my mouth...that is Tex Richman who said that in the song, I just checked.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That was Tex? All I know is Marvin sings his lines, Eric gives him ze accent. Then the Muppaphones get hit. Then I hear a Jerry Nelson voice say the lines complaining about how the Muppets already sang this song. Will have to wait for it to play on MCR again to make sure.

I agree that Amy's not scatting, that comes later during the Mahna Mahna running gag closing the movie itself.

One of the moments I've read about that makes me grin is when Wayne and Wanda get caught kissing backstage.