Does anyone remember Alphabet Chat?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by The Count
Too late for me to add anything new, but I'll try anyway. The character in question's name is indeed Mr. Chatterly, host of Alphabet Chat.
Byron, this is the only sketch to use a sort of round-styled alphabet song sung in a sort of Gregorian chant tune. Mystery Theater had no such song, it just had basic horror story mood music as you'd see the spooky house and paintings in the background until reaching the pain of glass with the cryptic show's logo and Vincent Twice Vincent Twice seated in his armchair.
I actually do vaguely remember this... I actually thought it was a drem....

The Count is quite right. Mystery Theater's opening (which featured a Tomb stone title marker) parodied the PBS Show, MYSTERY!

Actually, they saturized this opening in a shot by shot remake on the show Arthur with the actual Mystery theme music... oddly enough as Both Mystery and Arthur are both productions of WGBH Television....

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Hmmmm, but other mentions I've seen of "Mysterious Theatre" mention the "round" Alphabet song, and Vincent Twice and everything...

I dunno, I just wish I could see these segments again to be sure and see everything! lol

mikealan

Reaction score
I do remember the Alphabet Chat, and I do have the 'H' one on one of the Season 25 shows where Flo Bear tells the story about CinderTelly.

I do know that on the 'H' one, Mr. Chatterly had a talk about the letter H with Herbert Hare.
I think on the 'B' one, he had 'B' stuff on him.
On the 'O' one, I think in the beginning where the tall orange man muppet turned off the light before the Alphabet Chat was started, and I don't exactly know what's on it, but at the end, it had laboratory muppets, one of them who was green and had no hair on top who open Mr. Chatterly's room apart (was it for open or operation?)
On the 'R' one, it had the purple lady AM who sounded like Piggy, and I think Mr. Chatterly became angry thoughout the whole skit right after he got mad by caught by radishes,..and it had Gladys and Guy Smiley at the end...I don't know what he did on this skit.

Do you think my memories of the 'B', 'H', 'O', & 'R' versions of the Alphabet Chat were true?

drmusic_99

Reaction score
It's interesting... I had completely forgotten about these bits, which I now believe ran quite a bit back in my day... until I saw this thread, and that theme music popped right back into my head. In fact, that music is basically all I remember... that and, at the start, while the music played, the host was sitting in a swivel chair, back to the camera, and would slowly turn around to face the camera. At the end of the bit, the music would come up again, and he would turn back around again.

BlueAM

Reaction score
Ryan said:
"A-B-C-D, C- D- E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-NNN-O-O-P! Q-R-S-T-U-R-S-T-U-V...."
I loved this sketch. A favorite of mine was when Guy Smiley went to the wrong studio, and was doing a commercial for "Bow Wow Chow". That moment is hillarious. It also included Gladys , A director performed by Frank (Piggy's voice), and a hot dog vendor, by Frank ("Coffee....Donuts...." "You wanna cheese sandwich?") This character inspired the voice of one of my newer puppets, Bleep P. Frengle. :cool:
Nice memory, Ryan!

I was just wondering what the director and hot dog vendor in the skit looked like (hair color, clothes, skin color, nose shape and color).

Thanks!

BlueAM

Mumu Talpaz

Reaction score
AC theme song

BTW - the basis for the alphabet chat theme song is none other than a fugue by J.S. Bach - called something like the well-tempered klavier No. 2.

mikealan

Reaction score
I've got the 'O' version of Alphabet Chat on #2341 from Ssetta (he originally got it from Frodis) and I think it was the EARLIEST and first version and I believe it's becoming hilarious. Here's how it went:

The tall orange Anything Muppet man (Frank Oz) first says "Alphabet Chat Letter O Take 57! Lights! Camera! Action!" Then after the theme song of Alphabet Chat, Mr. Chatterly tried to give a lecture about the letter O, but unfortunately, NOTHING started with O in this skit so the director and producer muppets appear deciding to cancel Alphabet Chat Letter O sketch and they DESTROYED the set to make Mr. Chatterly upset! :crazy:

What do you think of that sketch?

sixdollarman

Reaction score
The only ones that I can recall was the one where Cookie Monster was playing with the window (I can't remember which letter it was) and the letter R where 2 guys dropped a radiator on Mr. Chatterly's toes. I was so excited to hear the theme song on Muppet Central Radio!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
here's the letters i rememeber. being discussed. L,O, and R. the H and the other or others mentioned i don't when were thise 1st made? i recall they did some newer versions of them in the 90s witch were as great. maybe the others were from that time.