11 Years of Abby Cadabby!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yes, I know it may be hard to believe, but as someone on ToughPigs said, on this day in 2006 Abby's first episode, Episode 4109 premiered. Kids who were five years old when she first appeared are now legally old enough to drive. I myself, was seven when the episode aired.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So many years later, I still vividly remember my disappointment that after all the hype that went into this new character who was being introduced as a special, non-traditional newcomer to the street who would be endearing to little girls watching who don't have too many positive characters to relate to in entertainment, she only appeared in barely three episodes that season. Her debut episode was good - I still never saw her accompany Baby Bear to school, but her glorified cameo later that season was meh.

But, I do remember one of my favorite episodes from Season 38 was when she caused the word "Dog" to escape from a book, because for the first time since Season 32, we had a magazine-format episode, and for the first time since Season 29 - no EW.

I don't mind Abby, really I don't - she's adorable, and Leslie does a good job with her . . . but, like Drtooth and Pig's Laundry have pointed out before, always pairing her with Elmo is forced and contrived: clearly, the producers wanted Elmo to help bolster her star power for little girl viewers since previous female Muppets failed to reach that level, but it also meant shoving Zoe out of the way, who had much more genuine chemistry and a more developed connection with Elmo, which made them a better pair.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I sure feel old! Season 37 premiered the week before I started 7th grade, and I remember tuning in to every episode that week (hooray for having one week left of summer break!). (Except for Wednesday when I was grounded from watching TV, and had to endure with listening to "Cookie World" on the radio instead of watching it...ultimately I was able to watch it another day...but that's another story!) Of course, I was more into the older SS episodes (pre Season 30), and obviously I wasn't too crazy for Abby at first. But overtime, she's grown on me...although I still hate AFFS to this day.

I myself, was seven when the episode aired.
So was my youngest sister.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I was 13 years old and starting 7th grade when season 37 was premiering... The day season 37 marks the old school mark, man.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
I was just turning seven when this premiered, and yet, I vividly remember my disappointment and disdain for Abby; can't say much has changed, minus going from "hating her" to "tolerating her". :stick_out_tongue: I never found her all that fun or interesting; if I recall correctly, her only real trait has been "she's a fairy". Then again, I was sorta growing tired of Sesame by this point (don't even watch it anymore), so, maybe it was just me growing up.

Then then again, I enjoyed High School Musical, also coming out in 2006, so maybe it wasn't me growing up? :smirk:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
...although I still hate AFFS to this day.
Can't say that I hated Flying Fairy School. I really loved all the main characters, even the sidekicks like Niblet and the chicken. Heck, I even preferred Abby on those segments then I did in street scenes. My only major problem with it was how repetitive it got. They just kept showing the same episodes over and over again, and even when they stopped being produced they continued to be shown for two more seasons.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
The day season 37 marks the old school mark, man.
Yup.

Can't say that I hated Flying Fairy School. I really loved all the main characters, even the sidekicks like Niblet and the chicken. Heck, I even preferred Abby on those segments then I did in street scenes. My only major problem with it was how repetitive it got. They just kept showing the same episodes over and over again, and even when they stopped being produced they continued to be shown for two more seasons.
I see your point. I mean...I was 16 by the time that segment came on the air, so I still hated Abby, period. Obviously, the repeat segments didn't help...especially "Genie in the Bottle"!