1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

18 Years Ago...

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Convincing John, May 15, 2008.

1. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

2. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I still miss Jim Henson to this very day.
  3. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

*God Bless you Jim Henson.*

That's all I can say. I don't think that simple words can say what me, nor any of us, feel today. So today, I'm gettin decked out in my Muppet Show belt, one of my many Kermit shirts and a Jim Henson pin and I'm spreading the rememberance. :)

You are truly missed, Jim. Thank you for everything.
  4. A good day to reflect and remember on. But I think Jim would also want us to smile today, so at some point today go and find something silly to do that makes you laugh.
  5. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

You know what I did this morning?

On my way to work to pick up a friend (I just started carpooling), I popped in the "It's Not Easy Being Green and Other Things to Consider" CD. I skipped ahead to where Kermit sings "Rainbow Connection" and rolled down the window. I saw kids going to school, half hoping they'd hear it.

As I drove, the weather here was/is beautiful today. Not a cloud in the sky and just a light breeze. My route took me through these little residential areas with huge oak trees arching over the streets. Sunlight filtered through green, ruffling leaves as Kermit sang to me and whoever else heard him as I passed. I thought about Jim's "big old oak tree in California" experience and his thoughts about nature.

I looked at the signpost as I passed by this little picturesque, sunlit neighborhood: "Green Street". It sure was.

Thanks Jim.:)

Convincing John
  6. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i couldnt say it better my self...its time to put on bright yellow pants grab a rubber chicken and dance the macarena in honor of Jim
  7. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

I would love to be wearing my Kermit shirt, but since I am working, I'm wearing Kermit green instead, my own little private tribute to Jim I guess. Happy day up in heaven Jim!
  8. tomahawk

tomahawk Member

"Please watch out for each other and love and forgive everybody. It's a good life, enjoy it"
    - Jim Henson :)
  9. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

My life has been so stressed and hectic lately I honestly forgot today was the anniversary of Jim's death until I came to Muppet Central. Jim will never be forgotten (even if I forgot this date! :()
  10. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

This might not sound like much coming from a kid of the post-Henson era but I still believe that as long as there is love and laughter and singing and dancing and making people happy, Jim's spirit still lives on. <3
  11. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I too remember that tragic day.

I just got home one afternoon and my Dad told me that Jim Henson had died. The news shocked me. I was just starting to learn about the talented man known as Jim Henson and his family of Muppeteers. And I wondered will his works will ever go on. Then in November, I saw the tribute show the Muppets did about him and then started feeling a little better.

And I was thinking about Jim this morning when I learned today was May 16th. I can't believe 18 years had passed. I'll always remember you, Jim. :cry:
  12. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

where the HECK does the time go!

we love you (and miss you) VERY much Jim! :)
  13. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I know that there's not a person here who doesn't miss Jim. I can't believe he's been gone so long... but I honored today by being both sacred and silly, just like Jim. Wore my Elmo "Tickle This" shirt, getting laughs with Jim's creation. Thank you Jim Henson, we miss you very much. Thanks for all you gave us and I'm so glad your vision lives on. :) :p :sympathy:
  14. Count von Count

Count von Count Active Member

That's true! He want us to smile. But it's still a sad day.
  15. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

What's there to be said about Jim that hasn't been said already?

I owe the man so, so much. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be the person I am today. He showed everyone that doing things a little different can get you the attention that others only dream about. And as long as we keep exposing ourselves and others to him and his work and pretty soon the new Segal Muppet film, the Fraggle movie and PotDC he'll live on through the ages and in our hearts. R.I.P. and thanks for everything, Jim. :cry: :sympathy:
  16. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

I'm sure that he would want exactly that. My girlfriend asked me, "Well, if this is the day that Jim died, why aren't you wearing black?". I then told her about how Jim didn't want anyone to be sad about his passing and that he wanted people to wear bright colors and do silly things. I only could have hoped to have as great of a day that I did yesterday. :)
  17. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I remembered Jim yesterday by introducing a friend to "The Land of Gorch." It felt nice to correct his view of Henson as a children's entertainer.

Anyway, I respect and love Jim's work so much. He created characters that will never leave me. The Muppets helped my through everything. Jim's work through the years (he wouldn't agree with me, but this includes his Sam and Friends) is some of the funniest, most imaginative and creative work ever put on television and film. Much of it is even inspiring. I miss him.

:) :hungry: :sympathy:
  18. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Wow ... 18 years, huh?

When I was being teased/bullied at school or my parents were fighting, the Muppets showed me that life can be chaotic and difficult ... but there was still The Dream, something to hold onto despite it all. They could get eaten, blown up, etc ... and in the next scene they were back for more. They realized that being different could be an asset, not a liability.
  19. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

This may seem like an odd thing to say, but up until I was 12 or so I thought Jim Henson was still alive. I never saw the tv show about it, the news show about it, or even saw a newspaper about it, or heard it talked about in school...
    So, in a deeper way, he will always be alive somewhere to me..his soul lives on in all the dreamers of the world :).
  20. Rose

Rose Member

I remeber my mum comming home from going to work just to tel me Jim had passed away. It was about 10 in the mornig and Iddnt know anything about it. Than later on I saw it on the 12 o clock news.
    For months probably years I collected every article about him and the henson companey. I akways turn to jim nd his work to cheer me up when im feeling down.