2 hands and a piece of chocolate cake

mikebennidict

Reaction score
a rather obscure skit from the early 70s. these to human hands witch had some sort of stockings over them, 1 yellow, the other red both want the cake, the annoucer, who is muppetteer Fran Brill says to them wait a minute, since we all want the cake, we she share. the red hand cuts the cake and the yellow one separates the pieces and they get their share of the cake.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes I well remember this one. I liked the music that accompanies this throughout. That's one of many special things to me about early 70's SS - the music was often so catchy and fun to listen to. Whenever I would watch SS in the 90's or this decade and they would play an old clip, the neat music would often stick with me for a while!
Some other examples of early 70's skits I liked the music of:
(1) The segment where that man on the beach teaches the kids about rhythm. (the music really gets cool once they are riding on the horse and cart!)
(2) The 8 song ( with the candy. one line goes," they all say hubba hubba hubba... hubba hubba hubba hubba").
(3) The introductory music to Lefty the salesman as he sneaks up on Ernie.
(4) The skit with two anything muppets singing ,"I'm first. I'm last. I'm slow. I'm fast. In whether we run or skate or jump or swim."
(5) The peacock (all they do is show a beautiful colored peacock, but the music is neat. And they used this music for other segments too).
(6) The cartoon skit where the woman counts from 1 to 10 really fast twice and then focuses on a specific number (like on the number 8 it shows various cartoon animals eating other ones (8 -> ATE. get it? :smile: ). And the more famous 1-10 songs (the ones where the baker falls down the steps) have good music as well.
And there's lots more where that came from! But we'll save for future posts.
:smile:

SesameMike

Reaction score
The narrator made a point of saying that one cuts the piece of cake in half, while the other gets first choice.

I, too, liked the music soundtrack to that one. IIRC, it's dominant instrument was some kind of "tingly" sound like a triangle.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I remember that skit too,and sometimes wonder whose hands they really were.Also,after seeing this skit as a child,I used to like to play with rubber dishwashing gloves,which came in different colours.Yellow ones and pink ones were my preference,simply because of how closely they resembled the hands in the SS skit. :wink:

Censored

Reaction score
I remember that skit. I kept wondering how the hands were going to eat the cake. :smile:

A similar skit involved two different colored gloved hands counting to eleven. Naturally, they run out of fingers before they're through, so a third hand (red I think) comes in to help.

There was also a skit where a green gloved hand was "walking" and the narrator said that the hand was unhappy because the fingers didn't get along with the thumb.

Xerus

Reaction score
I also remember another gloved hand skit from the 70s. It showed a red gloved hand and a green gloved hand in front of a blue screen. And a girl narrator said we're going to count to 11. As the hands slowly extended their fingers, you can hear kids counting. But since there were only two hands, there were only 10 fingers. The narrator said we probably need some help. So the two hands waved for another hand to come in and in came an orange gloved hand. Then the narrator said they were going to try again. And after the red and green hands counted 10 fingers, the orange hand extended one finger counting 11. And everyone cheered and confetti fell from the sky.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This one takes the cake

This was such a neat skit showing the value of sharing, and how Jim and company could even make hands have personalities.

The red hand (I believe) starts by looking over the cake, and deciding he wants it.

Along comes the yellow hand that wants the cake too, and they both pick it up and have a tug-of-war.

Fran Brill as the narrator suggests it's better to share, and they both cooperate by cutting the cake, and then choosing their pieces.

Then the hands shake as Fran comments, "Ahhh, now that's sharing!" And each hand picks up their cake and takes off, leaving a few crumbs behind.

The predominant instrument in the background is a harpsichord, which gives it that "tinkly" sound. There's also a flute, oboe, and bells in there if you listen real close.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i recall it was the yellow hand that was there first and though they struggled for it, it really wasn't much of a struggle. they just picked it up than she said wait a minute etc.