2010 Movies To See (and not)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
We know this is the year that "Tron", "Toy Story", "Alice in Wonderland" and "Iron Man" are coming back to theaters with new offerings. There are also crisp new ideas like "Inception", "Paul" and "Kick-A**". This thread is a place to discuss all of the things we want to see, have seen and list on our must-see or must-avoid lists.

I'll start back a little bit by saying I've watched "Avatar", "Sherlock Holmes", "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" over the holidays and they are all wonderfully worth seeing.

I was looking forward to "Daybreakers" but felt terribly let down. Great cast and premise, but it played out like a typical zombie flick and not really a good one at that.

"Book of Eli" was this week's choice. It moves rather slowly and it's gory in parts. The cast is solid and the material was interesting enough to maintain my attention. The religious aspects didn't bother me and wouldn't likely offend most people on the other side of things either. I recommend it to those into this sort of film, but it's not a glowing endorsement.

Next week I'd like to see "Legion" but I might settle for "The Lovely Bones" or "Extraordinary Measures" instead.

Even though I find Mel Gibson to be a problematic figure due to recent behaviors and his professed views of particular minorities, I'm still one for forgiveness if the film is good enough. "Edge of Darkness" just might be that film. However, I don't think there's a Tom Cruise film I'll ever support including his latest one that looks to be his comeback.

And what's with "Arrested Development" still slated for this year?

What are your anticipated films, picks and pans?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good idea for a thread Jamie.

My Wants to See List:
Sherlock Holmes.
Princess and the Frog.
Percy Jackson, I'm a major Greek myth geek.
Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

I'm waiting to find out which project Timmy B takes on next: whether Maleficent, his version of Sleeping Beauty from the dark fairy's POV; or the official box office released version of Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp as vampire Barnabus Collins.

Also, I'm relieved Inception's slated for this year... Please let it be early in the year. The sooner that's done, the sooner we can finally move on to Batman 3 from his reboot franchise.

Spidey 4 might be a letdown as they're starting over from scratch with the Ultimate Spider-Man series as its inspiration.
Also, I'm not rully keen on Transformers 3 after what the second movie mishandled in terms of story.

Them's my pics and I'm stickin' with 'em.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, I'm relieved Inception's slated for this year... Please let it be early in the year. The sooner that's done, the sooner we can finally move on to Batman 3 from his reboot franchise.
I'm not up on the latest internet rumors, and I don't usually believe them anyway... but is there any word on Batman 3? Last thing I heard is they're likely go forward with a different director... and if the history of the franchise has taught us anything is that's not a good sign.

And what's with "Arrested Development" still slated for this year?
Is that even happening? They've been saying OMG! We SO GOTTA make that a movie! for so long, I lost track on any progress.

Also, I'm not rully keen on Transformers 3 after what the second movie mishandled in terms of story.
Really... you'd think you'd expect more from a movie based on a cartoon based on a toy line. :big_grin: Naw, but I heard terrible things about the first 2, and I really think a 3rd one is nothing but another excuse to clog up half a toy aisle with unsellable overstock of a toy line based off a movie based off a toy line.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Hmm...I don't really know much on what movies are coming out this year, here's the list of ones I plan to see so far.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I
Eclipse
Percy Jackson
Alice in Wonderland
Toy Story 3

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Deathly Hollows 1 is this year? Doubtful since HBP was last year I think.
Yeah, after going to see Transformers 2... There were parts when I wondered if the movie was Transformers or Gremlins.
Batman 3, c'mon, it's gotta be Nolan. Anyone else and they're assured of certain doom/travesty all over again, and it just wouldn't be wise in the current economics, though stranger things have happened.

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
Hey Count if you're big into the comicbook hero movies you should check out www.comicbookmovie.com
They're usually up to date on all the latest rumours and rundowns for the movies.
Aside from some, shall we say, colourful metaphors from some users, its a pretty decent site.

As for movies I'm excited for:
Percy Jackson
The Wolfman
Alice in Wonderland
Clash of the Titans
Kick-A**
A Nightmare on Elm Street - Just to see where they go with it, from the looks of the trailer, it may be almost an exact remake.
IronMan 2
Robin Hood (Gladiator 2 from the looks of things)
The A-Team
Toy Story 3
Predators
Inception (which hits theaters July 16 for those that were wondering)

Also, Not that I want to go see it, I've been rather disappointed with the movies in comparison to the books, but Deathly Hallows pt. 1 comes out in November.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
I'm something of a movie buff so there's a lot I want to see. How much I actually do wind up seeing depends on financial and free time status but, in random order:

Toy Story 3
Hoodwinked 2: Hood Vs. Evil (Stop delaying and release it already!)
The Wolfman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
Percy Jackson
The Last Airbender
Shrek 4ever after
Alice in Wonderland
Clash of the Titans
Robin Hood
Predators
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Iron Man 2
Prince of Persia
The Green Hornet
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
How to Train Your Dragon
Rapunzel

and I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Saw Avatar last month. While the special effects were great, the story and acting were average. It's an overhyped movie in my opinion. I also find all of those people over in the Avatar board on IMDB extremely odd.

Saw Sherlock Holmes. Good movie though I had trouble in parts understanding the dialogue do to the accents from the film.

Saw Extraordinary Measures a few days ago. It was okay but played out like a movie from the Lifetime channel.

I'll see Toy Story 3 in theaters. Looks great.

Not too keen on Alice In Wonderland. I think Tim Burton is getting stale in his old age, which Steven Speilberg is on the same path.

I'll pass on The Wolfman. Based on the horrible cgi, the special effects look like garbage.

I'll see the new Mel Gibson movie next week. I love when people are pushed to their limits and react.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Batman 3, c'mon, it's gotta be Nolan. Anyone else and they're assured of certain doom/travesty all over again, and it just wouldn't be wise in the current economics, though stranger things have happened.
The question isn't so much that Warner Bros wouldn't rehired Nolan... the question is, does Nolan want to do it. While I rarely believe internet rumors, I have heard rumblings a year or so ago that Nolan didn't really want to do a third one.

From what I understand, Warners actually didn't really want Tim Burton to do another Batman movie after Batman Returns (Tim Burton said exactly why in a Charlie Rose interview... something to do with marketability or something, when he was trying to put a lot of dark themes in). And while I admit to enjoying Batman Forever (with the exception of how Two Face was portrayed), Batman and Robin killed a franchise... and with the huge popularity in comics working well for Warners and their DC division, it would be wiser to NOT make another Batman movie than to hire a director who only pretends to grasp the vision of the first director.

If anything else, how about another animated DTV Batman film?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear ya... But that's the standard chatter with a hugely popular movie that then becomes a franchise. Will the director of the first return for a sequel? Will he return for the third installment? It's happened before, Tim Burton - Joel Shoemocker. But I have faith in Nolan... Besides, the truth of the matter is I also trust Jim Vidgvota or however his name's spelled who reported on all the TDK updates for IGN's Filmforce site. What we basically got was a wait-and-see until Inception's finished and released. After that, then Nolan would most likely be ready to start listening/gearing up for a Batman 3.

BTW: Isn't Hoodwinked 2 already released? I mean, Burger King's promoting their toys based on the film this entire month, which pretty much caught me unaware.