2011 Winnie the Pooh Movie

Mupp

Reaction score
Leave CGI to Pixar.
No offense, but that is a very close-minded way of thinking.

Disney Animation should not be expected to make only hand-drawn films. That would be imposing a specific technology on the studio.

As long as the stories are strong, then it doesn't matter what animation medium is used. The STORY is the most important thing.

If you are a fan of Pixar, they you should no doubt know who John Lasseter is; the chief creative officer at Pixar, and the director of Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, and Cars, and he was the executive producer of all other Pixar films that he didn't direct.

John Lasseter also became the chief creative officer of Disney Animation in 2007. He has been the executive producer of every animated film from Disney since then. (Including Bolt and Tangled)

Story has become to top priority at Disney Animation again.

So the statement "Leave CGI to Pixar" does not make any sense at all. Because the story is the most important thing, not the animation method, and what's more, John Lasseter (from Pixar) is currently the executive producer of all Disney animated films, as well as Pixar. (He is a busy guy)

Bolt and Tangled were both from Disney Animation, were both CGI, were both executive produced by John Lasseter, and were both good movies.

Disney Animation will continue to make CGI films as well as hand-drawn films.

Its important to note that the executive producer is often the person who recruits everyone else on the project, including the director.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, not to mention the fact that Pixar's involvement actually helped them preserve 2-D animated movies. Sure, we're not going to get the once a year animated 2-D movie like we had in the past, but it's quality over quantity. Besides, a LOT of studios are doing CGI stuff, and frankly, that's adding to oversaturation of CGI films... a good number of them are junk. To me, Pixar's stories are a million times more important than how they look. And their films have a beautiful meld of substance and sparkle.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Really like the use of 2D animation (probably digital ink-and-paint, but better than going all Flash or 3D), plus the music is nice and the voice actors (Jim Cummings from New Adventures as Pooh, John Cleese as the narrator, etc.) are promising. Hans Zimmer is even doing some of the soundtrack, too. :smile:
John Cleese as the Narrator? I thought it was going to be John Hurt.

Ahh, the heck with it. I've been hearing conflicting cast reports for a while now. First, Dee Bradley Baker was going to voice Piglet, then it was Travis Oates again. Then, Peter Cullen will be Eeyore! Wait, no, it's Bud Luckey! I give up! I'm just glad they kept Jim Cummings around. :big_grin:

Back on track, I'm happy for this return to form for the Pooh franchise. I'm also happy that they're going back to the books to make a proper sequel for the first movie. Given that they did that (or at lest incorporated elements from them) for the featurettes that were made into the first movie, it seems like that should be the way to go. I just wish they had picked a slightly cheeier song for the trailer. Not that I don't like it, but the opening lyrics coupled with the images makes me feel depressed.

Last thing, did anyone else think that Jim was channeling Sterling Holloway a bit more than usual in his Pooh voice this time around? :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
John Cleese as the Narrator? I thought it was going to be John Hurt.

Ahh, the heck with it. I've been hearing conflicting cast reports for a while now. First, Dee Bradley Baker was going to voice Piglet, then it was Travis Oates again. Then, Peter Cullen will be Eeyore! Wait, no, it's Bud Luckey! I give up! I'm just glad they kept Jim Cummings around. :big_grin:
I don't think they'd ever change Jim's casting as Pooh (to my knowledge). he's been doing a fantastic job since The New Adventures TV series. Dunno why they changed everyone else, though. But, Bud Luckey is gonna be Eeyore? If I didn't want to see this already, that would be reason enough for me to check it out.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
AWESOME! Good to know that Disney is doing something right these days, regarding their kiddie-fare (and ME-fare too, can't forget about us adult fans!).

I never gave that cg show a glance at all. The puppet series was pretty cool, but I never got into it much, besides LOVING the old Playhouse Disney LIVE! show at DCA.

Great news, and great trailer!
:smile:
Anthony

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
But, Bud Luckey is gonna be Eeyore? If I didn't want to see this already, that would be reason enough for me to check it out.
Yep. Official sources and everything.

I could not possibly get any more excited for this movie! :excited:

Yorick

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone mentioned a narrator, but Laurie Main, the man who narrated "Welcome To Pooh Corner" and (according to IMDB, and I recall this) "provided the voice of the 'story reader' on many Disney Read-Along cassettes", would be great! He was such a great warm friendly presence on that show! Now for me to read the whole thread to see if all the characters are voiced by voice actors, and not "movie stars doing voice acting roles to get more people to see the animated film ($)" which I always complain about...otherwise, I'm pretty positive regarding these things :smile:

No offense, but ["leave CGI to Pixar"] is a very close-minded way of thinking.
My interpretation of Son on Enik's comment "leave CGI to Pixar" was just that they would like to see somebody release to theaters an animated film in the classic non-CGI style...wasn't the last one (and also the first one in a very long time) "The Princess and The Frog?"...so I agree very much, because so many great things in entertainmnent are going the way of the Dodo bird :frown: I'm not saying the current styles (of whichever media it is) aren't sometimes good, just that there should be room for more than one type...but as usual, once certain things catch on and make money (as mentioned earlier ha)...other things get pushed aside...and I know the way of the world, but it's still sad:frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
My interpretation of Son on Enik's comment "leave CGI to Pixar" was just that they would like to see somebody release to theaters an animated film in the classic non-CGI style...wasn't the last one (and also the first one in a very long time) "The Princess and The Frog?"...so I agree very much, because so many great things in entertainmnent are going the way of the Dodo bird :frown: I'm not saying the current styles (of whichever media it is) aren't sometimes good, just that there should be room for more than one type...but as usual, once certain things catch on and make money (as mentioned earlier ha)...other things get pushed aside...and I know the way of the world, but it's still sad:frown:
The problem is the market for children's movies in general, and I've gone over that squillions of times by now. Some people treat kids as an audience and gives them, if not a grown up experience, an enjoyable full bodied story with great visuals and depth that they'll learn to appreciate later... others feel kids LOVE 1990's G rated Hip Hop that was lame even in the 1990's and cultural stereotypes serving as ethnic diversity.

When it comes to 2-D films vs 3-D... well, Disney was abandoning the concept (under Eisner, by the way) because of poor projects and the fact that, at the time, they were about to lose Pixar and figured they could do it themselves. Now, I have to say Brother Bear isn't terrible... it surely is better than the OTHER Native American legend... but the Strange Brew reunion pretty much carried the film. Home on the Range was... well, I can't say it here, but the first word is mind... second one is a derogatory slang word for a certain lustful act.

I must admit, I must be the only one that liked Chicken little, though... Dinosaur was DUUUUULLLL. I still am a bit on the mixed side that Disney is still doing their own CGI films even with Pixar's ownership... but then again, we can't really expect to see the same one 2-D animated movie a year from them like they did in the 90's... weren't there years they actually DIDN'T have those films and just rereleased a classic on the big screen?

At this point I wanna see OTHER companies do 2-D films. Someone's gotta do one themselves. Hopefully quality ones and not some of the drek we got the tail end of the 90's (I'm looking at YOU Thumbellina).

Mupp

Reaction score

Yorick, I don't think that there is reason to be concerned. 2D animation is still around.
Its been established that Disney is NOT turning its back on hand-drawn animation.

As you noted, The Princess and the Frog was released just last year, and of course the Winnie the Pooh film being released next year.

There is room for more than one type. (as far as Disney Animation is concerned) 2D animation is certainly not going the way of the dodo bird.

The point is, Disney is making hand-drawn films, but they are also making CGI films.
There is really nothing wrong with that

Bolt and Tangled were both from Disney Animation, and they were both good movies because they both had good stories.
Now that John Lasseter is at the wheel, Disney Animation can make a CGI film just as well as Pixar can.

The only reason why current styles like CGI are sometimes not good is because of a bad story. And we do not need to worry about bad stories at Disney Animation now. Quality has become top priority again.

What is comes right down to is that Walt Disney was a fan of innovation and loved using new technologies.

Therefore, it is really not fair to expect Disney to only make hand-drawn films. That would be imposing a specific animation medium on the studio, and Walt loved using new technologies.

Yorick

Reaction score
Home on the Range was... well, I can't say it here, but the first word is mind... second one is a derogatory slang word for a certain lustful act.
Never heard of it, can you elaborate? LOL just kidding...but I just couldn't resist, haha.

I dig your reply, and I also must say, I liked Chicken Little too!
I liked Dinosaur too, though :smile: Speaking of Dinosaur movies (though the one I'm about to mention is not CGI) how'd ya like "We're Back"? I loved that they had Little Richard sing the song at the end!

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmOc6Od5GHU

And here's a link I'm posting just on general principle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFL047fmsgg