3M Super 77

buckshot

Reaction score
i just picked up a few yards of foam and some 3M super 77 adhesive spray from joann's fabric. i've used some crappy sprays in the past, but thought i'd give this one a shot. any feedback on it?

Yahnke

Reaction score
I have used super 77 before. They stuff seamed to work with foam, but i had little trouble getting the foam to stay glued to the mouth plates. The spray it 5 times faster than the DAP weldwood contact cement, and i can breath after using it as well. It's good, but if you are concerned about your puppet lasting a long time, maybe you'll want to use contact cement? of course i am not speaking form a large amount of experience here...so listen to somenone like FISHNWOLFE

Jinx

Reaction score
I like to use the 3M 74 spray adhesive for glueing foam to foam. It is a spray-on contact cement, and the fumes are not too bad, really. It can be a bit tough to control the spray pattern, but with a little practice you begin to get the hang of it. Also it is definitely a "less-is-more" situation with this glue. A very little glue gives a very strong bond. I do use the 77 adhesive for adhering fabric to foam, which works very well.

buckshot

Reaction score
Jinx said:
I like to use the 3M 74 spray adhesive for glueing foam to foam.
where do you get the 74 spray? i picked up the 77 spray at Joann's fabric. thanks for your input.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I've used 77 Spray and love it! (In association with hot glue, needle and thread.)

Jinx

Reaction score
buckshot said:
where do you get the 74 spray? i picked up the 77 spray at Joann's fabric. thanks for your input.
I had to go around to a few hardware stores to find it. I think it was an ACE hardware store where I found it, and it was about $20.00 for the can, which was about twice the size of the 77 can.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
3M's Super 77 is a fabulous spray glue to use - though really environmentally unfriendly - BUT if you are using it on foam it is really only good for gluing fabrics to foam. If you don't use the right type of spray glue for foam to foam gluing either the foam will fall apart eventually or not stick at all.

If you are looking to glue foam to foam you need to purchase a specialized foam-to-foam-adhesive. I know LePage makes the one I've used, but I can't recall it's name. I haven't tried the 3M 74 spray, but it sounds like that may be 3M's foam-to-foam adhesive product.

It's really important with contact cement and spray glue that you make sure both pieces you are gluing together have been sprayed or glued, otherwise they'll eventually come apart.

It's also very, very important to wear a proper respirator and protective gloves when using spray glue and/or contact cement. Even if you are outside or the fumes don't smell strong you will still be exposing yourself to very toxic chemicals.

Safety first! :smile: Puppets aren't worth killing brain cells for! :stick_out_tongue: :zany:

Phantom

Reaction score
I don't know, but it sounds like a pretty grey matter.

Yahnke

Reaction score
just an update on the super 77 test. I tried using it to glue foam together to make a puppet, but the head assembly and the body, but the glue didn't hold well. In fact i have to re-glue them. I will use Weldwood contact cement by DAP. it works great. But takes more time than the spray.