80's and 90's RULE!

CountFan1998

Reaction score
OK, I was born in 1998 (A late-comer to the '90s) BUT, I MUST admit the music of the 80's ROCKS. The fashion reigned supreme as well. It was a circus of neon by the end of the decade and carried on through the 90's. The late 80's/early 90's had the same style of music, and I must say it rocked. Who's with me? I SAID WHO'S WITH ME?:crazy: Please share what decade YOU (Yes you, the one reading this.) think is better and WHY. Use this thread like the time machine you've always dreamed of (I know I want one, badly:smirk:.)

COUNTFAN AWAY!:batty:

Kiki

Reaction score
Hi Countfan1998. :smile: Wow, you were born in '98? I remember that year like it was yesterday, even though I was very young. :smile: I can't really say which decade I like more out of 80s or 90s, since I've only experienced the 90's and I was born mid-through the decade (1993). But I'm rather obessed with history and anything from the past. :smile: I would've loved to have lived through the 80's (and the 70s... and the 60s... and the Elizabethan period...) because -I'm just saying this, but I probably shouldn't say because I didn't live through it :stick_out_tongue:- it was edgy, but also somewhat innocent, sort of like the 50's did. Secondly, 80's fashion and pop music is a guilty pleasure for me. ;D As for 90's, in the past I've often been a bit harsh on myself being born in the 90's, because I've always believed that I'm more spiritually attatched to a different decade/period, but even though I'm often cynical about it there was a lot of good things about the 90's. Firstly, the obvious thing: GRUNGE! =D My taste in music is pretty eclectic, but my CD collection consists of many 90's gems... Nirvana, Hole, Alanis Morissette, The Pixies, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, and yes, maybe some Oasis. :stick_out_tongue: Secondly, the TV shows were great- 1990's Sesame Street, anyone?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Got that right! I'm not really as much of a fan of the 90's as the 80's, but I love lots of music that's older than I am, LOL. :wink: Of course, this one time, we had an "80's Day" (I got to dress up in legwarmers and a mini skirt with lots of jelly bracelets :smile:) at school, and the teachers were showing some music videos from the decade. Just about a quarter of my English class was asking me if I actually was from then because I'm a tween who knows all the lyrics to "Material Girl", "Opposites Attract", etc. :big_grin:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I was born in December of 81', so I was a late 80's/early 90's kid. The cartoon were a lot better than what is currently on. I would come home after school and watch The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Real Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, and the Disney Afternoon lineup consisting of: DuckTales, Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, etc.

Not to mention waking up in the mornings before going to school and watching Double Dare with Marc Sommers, Mighty Max, Transformers, and Sonic the Hedgehog.

I'm also a fan of 80's music and have a lot of music from well know singers and bands, as well as songs that weren't quite that popular from those respective groups, and music from singers and bands some people might have never heard of.

APRena

Reaction score
80s. I remember some of the 90s (born in 1995... so I can only remember the last two years...) but I've always felt like I grew up around what would prepare me to be a teenager in the 80s (both my parents are nostalgic ex-punks). It's just kind of better. I feel like I can relate to that decade more than the current one. I can't pin down one decade for my taste in music/television/movies, though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, I was going to mention this in "decline of Entertainment" but I might as well say it here.

Oh, SURE we remember Back to the Future and Indiana Jones and ET and all that when it comes to 80's movies... but there was a LOT of garbage in that era as well. The difference? We just don't remember it. Does anyone remember the period in time when people were so desperate to cling onto E.T.'s popularity? Does anyone even remember junk like Munchie or Mac and Me? No. The only place to hear about the horrid movies of the 80's and 90's is Nostalgia critic or angry video game whatever or places like that. And those are all the ones off the top of my head.

Anyone got stuck with Digital TV? Anyone have the channel "This"? Every Saturday Morning they show these atrocious live action fairy tale movies from, I'm guessing, the 1980's. Stuff that drags out a fairy tale you can tell in less than 2 minutes with no real depth that can't even make up a full page in a kid's book. Seriously awful stuff. Stuff that looks like The Princess Bride's ugly, unsuccessful, poverty stricken cousin. There's this Little Red Riding Hood movie I saw 5 tortuous minutes of, and they had these bad BAD BAD forced musical numbers that seemed like an after thought. They're so cheaply made that they didn't even bother lipsynching to it right. One number looked like a bad dub of another language with NO attempt whatsoever to match the words that were sung. The songs had cheap lyrics and lousy predictable unsnappy rhythms and they STILL couldn't lip synch it right.

I.... I think those movies might have shortened my lifespan.

mr3urious

Reaction score
There's this Little Red Riding Hood movie I saw 5 tortuous minutes of, and they had these bad BAD BAD forced musical numbers that seemed like an after thought. They're so cheaply made that they didn't even bother lipsynching to it right. One number looked like a bad dub of another language with NO attempt whatsoever to match the words that were sung. The songs had cheap lyrics and lousy predictable unsnappy rhythms and they STILL couldn't lip synch it right.
Is it that Mexican film directed by the same guy as the creepy so-bad-it's-good Santa Claus movie from 1959?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOH-SS89Y9o

Kiki

Reaction score
I would've loved to have lived through the 80's (and the 70s... and the 60s... and the Elizabethan period...) because -I'm just saying this, but I probably shouldn't say because I didn't live through it :stick_out_tongue:- it was edgy, but also somewhat innocent, sort of like the 50's did.
Was, not did. :stick_out_tongue: >< I don't know why I felt the need to correct myself there.

I can't pin down one decade for my taste in music/television/movies, though.
SAME. D: I generally go with the seventies, though like every decade, there were a lot of good TV shows but many average ones. I must say though, the film industry kicked arse. I think by 1964, the public grew weary of sugar-coated films (not all of them were, though. I guess I'm generalizing. :stick_out_tongue:)- my dad once said it was the best day of his life when they stopped playing Doris Day films *lulz*. I think some of the best directors came out of the seventies, and so many gutsy, often shocking films were made at the time. Not just really awesome, well-known films like The Godfather (mmmm... youthful Al Pacino...) and The Exorcist (both were books, so does it count? :stick_out_tongue:), but even the weird, cult-y tele-movies (like the Linda Blair ones). And obviously, the music was awesome. x33 The explosion of hard rock, prog, soft rock... yeah, I'm gonna shut up now. I get carried away. :stick_out_tongue:

ALSO- that's so cool that you're parents were punks. :3 I approve. c: I think my mum was the kind of girl in peasant-dresses (though apparently she played a punk in some Aussie cult movie :stick_out_tongue:) and my dad seemed the kind of guy who made videos of everything and hung out watching comedians in bars and smoked. x3

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it that Mexican film directed by the same guy as the creepy so-bad-it's-good Santa Claus movie from 1959?
Actually...

I did some research on the subject and found This wikipedia article

EGAD! They had 9 of them! No wonder they seemed like a series of BAD films. They're just a series of cheaply produced UGLY crummy little kiddy movies. Though, Christopher Walken was in their Puss in Boots (gimme the Toei movie any day) before he was really famous. But these films are virtually unwatchable.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
80s. I remember some of the 90s (born in 1995... so I can only remember the last two years...) but I've always felt like I grew up around what would prepare me to be a teenager in the 80s (both my parents are nostalgic ex-punks). It's just kind of better. I feel like I can relate to that decade more than the current one. I can't pin down one decade for my taste in music/television/movies, though.
My dad is an ex punk too XD.

I might have been born in the 90s but honestly, the 90s was when things started to go downhillmusic wise. Give me some good 70s and 80s rock and I'm happy. (though, there are a selet few bandsfrom the 90s/00s that I like, not many though)

I say I should have been a teen in the 70s. I feel out of place today :stick_out_tongue: