80's and 90's RULE!

CountFan1998

Reaction score
YES! Disney Afternoon RULES. Well... Of course I haven't actually SEEN it, just Rescue Rangers, Talespin, and Ducktales DVDs. :stick_out_tongue:.

"I am the terror that flaps in the night. I am the troll on the forum of evil (Modern Darkwing Phrase, see? :rolleyes:- 'I don't care').

I AM DARKWING DUCK! Jim Cummings RULEZ! (Pepe was the one who said 'I don't care', :sleep:)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I usually find something to enjoy from most all eras- but I must say I like a lot of older things and my TV viewing favorites usually range from the '40s-'80s and get rather select in the '90s and 2000s. The same is somewhat true for music, though for me I listen to a lot of Christian rock mainly- and I do like many older bands, but I also keep up with a number of newer ones too- in that area, there's still lots of good new music being made. (Though if we're talking secular bands in general, while I'm still pretty select, it's definitely older bands from the '60s-'80s and some of the '90s, for the most part.)
Thankfully, there's been some good movies throughout the last century and up through today (most of recent of which I've seen was "Toy Story 3"- that was incredible and I think I can truly literally use this word here- totally EPIC!).
But having grown up in the '80s, yes, I must say I'm a child of the 1980s and in general, the '80s ROCK!:smile::big_grin:

Nick22

Reaction score
80s. I remember some of the 90s (born in 1995... so I can only remember the last two years...) but I've always felt like I grew up around what would prepare me to be a teenager in the 80s (both my parents are nostalgic ex-punks). It's just kind of better. I feel like I can relate to that decade more than the current one. I can't pin down one decade for my taste in music/television/movies, though.
i'm the same way! i was born in '96 and my parents are way into the '60s and my uncle is a big hippie. i also feel like i relate more to past decades opposed to now. and my tastes range all over the place.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
1998? Oh lord, I was 17 in 1998 *implodes in oldness*

I really miss the 80s, even though most of it is kind of a blur. It was just so much fun, probably because I was a kid :wink:

dwmckim

Reaction score
When it comes to any other media, i'm not partial to a certain decade, but for me 80's music is the total package!

All my fave artists either came from the 80's or were inspired by 80's music.

Not that it was all instantly great from 1980-1989 of course. The decline started around 1986 where the innovation/experimentation that made up the beginning of the decade started to give way to cliches, soundalikes and music starting to tear inself into specific formats and labels. By 87-89 if you didn't fit a specific box, you were in trouble! (But those were the best musicians)

I always love seeing/hearing what gets put on 80s compilation albums or radio marathons since a lot of the most "fondly remembered stuff" was the more underground stuff instead of the "charttoppers"

Redsonga

Reaction score
here's this Little Red Riding Hood movie I saw 5 tortuous minutes of, and they had these bad BAD BAD forced musical numbers that seemed like an after thought. They're so cheaply made that they didn't even bother lipsynching to it right. One number looked like a bad dub of another language with NO attempt whatsoever to match the words that were sung. The songs had cheap lyrics and lousy predictable unsnappy rhythms and they STILL couldn't lip synch it right.
That actually is one of my all time favorite 80's tv movies (and series of tv 80's movies actually) :wink:. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and I don't think a movie can be labeled as awful or truly good for everyone. Because the fact of the matter is we are all different with different personalities. Some of us love to look at things for only their flaws, others think having musical numbers is a flaw in itself. Me, I couldn't care less about about how lips move if the music is good (to me) and the actors (to me) are memorable, since I'm not putting it up against every other movie ever made. It is what it is, and to me and many others it is magical in all it's not quite perfect wonderment, even years later (I guess if you were wondering who the target age\mindset would be for such a thing you found her *lol*). Everyone has their favorites, and chances are the 80's movie/series/cartoon I hate the most is someone elses favorite...I don't think that discounts most of the 80's or 90's as awful.
But then, who am I to talk, I actually enjoyed watching Hammerman (all though I wasn't the only one after I asked my friends years later)

Drtooth

Reaction score
YES! Disney Afternoon RULES. Well... Of course I haven't actually SEEN it, just Rescue Rangers, Talespin, and Ducktales DVDs. .

"I am the terror that flaps in the night. I am the troll on the forum of evil (Modern Darkwing Phrase, see? - 'I don't care').

I AM DARKWING DUCK! Jim Cummings RULEZ! (Pepe was the one who said 'I don't care',
The Disney Afternoon was one of the most amazing cartoon events of our time. Fox? A little later, but that was pretty great too before it went all Power Rangersy.

The best line up was the Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Talespin (I have fond memories of the first episode, since that's when my little sister was born), and of course, the Duck Knight himself. I loved Goof Troop too... Bonkers was alright...then things were hit or miss until Timon and Pumbaa. I liked One Saturday Morning alright (Buzz Lightyear especially, and I have nothing but high things to say about pepper Ann)... but none of them were quite as much fun as Darkwing. And yes, Jim Cummings dues indeed rule. It was scientifically proven, I think. Rob Paulsen too.

When it comes to any other media, i'm not partial to a certain decade, but for me 80's music is the total package!
I can't really say if the 80's music was the best thing ever... it was Weird Al's greatest era, but I'll be darned if any Mad Science geek like me doesn't love "Weird Science" or "She Blinded me with Science." And Thriller. Thriller was one of the best things the gloved one ever did. Right up there with Beat it and Bad.

That actually is one of my all time favorite 80's movies (and series of tv 80's movies actually) . Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and I don't think a movie can be labeled as awful or truly good for everyone. Because the fact of the matter is we are all different with different personalities. Some of us love to look at things for only their flaws, others think having musical numbers is a flaw in itself. Me, I couldn't care less about about how lips move if the music is good (to me) and the actors (to me) are memorable, since I'm not putting it up against every other movie ever made. It is what it is, and to me and many others it is magical in all it's not quite perfect wonderment, even years later (I guess if you were wondering who the target age\mindset would be for such a thing you found her *lol*). Everyone has their favorites, and chances are the 80's movie/series/cartoon I hate the most is someone elses favorite...I don't think that discounts most of the 80's or 90's as awful.
But then, who am I to talk, I actually enjoyed watching Hammerman (all though I wasn't the only one after I asked my friends years later)
To me, awful doesn't always equal terrible. There are movies that are just soooo bad that you actually have to watch them. a whole generation of MST3K fans will tell you that. I did take a quick peek at the Emperor's New Clothes with Sid Ceaser... and you can tell that he was the only one trying to make the film as funny as possible. Of course, Sid was one of the master TV comedians of any era. But that's another story.

There are things that are widely renown as awful.. Plan 9 from outer Space, Bucky and Peppito, those... well, old cartoons where they had to use racial jokes for humor. That stuff's cringe worthy but fun to watch. I never seen those fairy tale movies until recently. I'm sure if I saw them when I was younger, I would have thought they were the coolest thing. But now, I can see all the weird little flaws (the almost obsessive casting of very short people and the ugly costumes for one). I can't say these movies are the worst thing ever made, but they have a weirdness to them that makes them enjoyable on a level that's unintentional.

That said, my favorite 1980's movies?

The last 2 parts of Star Wars, E.T., Indiana Jones, Oliver and Company, Great Mouse Detective, UHF, the first 2 Back to the Futures (third one doesn't count... 1991) and of course the other time traveling movie, Bill and Ted.
Oh, and Dark Crystal, the 2 Muppet films, Follow that Bird, Labyrinth... but those ones are implied and redundant to mention.

Still, I wonder if I even want to bother with the Garbage Pail Kids film. looks like MST3K worthy fun... not something I want to watch alone. Snide comments to yourself are never funny.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Oops, I meant to say my favorite 80's TV movie, not my favorite 80's movie overall. I liked the songs, the outfits, and I was five when it was made and lived in the woods, I don't think it could be more for me if it tried *lol*.

Let's see, I'd have to say my favorite 80's movies are The Last Unicorn, The Neverending Story, E.T. and Legend, and the 2nd Back to The Future.
The fun thing about the 3rd is when I was six and visiting the studios they were actually filming a scene from it..I wish I could remember anything besides the really cool sparking car Happy Meal toys from the animated series :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I taped every episode of the BTTF series they reaired on Fox Box in 2003 or so. I think i had all the kids meal toys... the wheels were easily broken off the Delorian and it had to be recalled... but I kept it. And the wheel broke off even after I glued it back on. Still have it. Can't find Einstien, Verne or Marty though...

Aside form the point... anyone else loved the Super Mario Bros Super Show? I still love the cartoon segments, but rewatching them again... the live action segments were GOLD. Especially the Inspector Gadget crossover! I hear that Captain lou and Danny Wells had a ball making these and even improved a bit of their lines. And it has an episode with one time Muppet Show guest Kaye Ballard!

Redsonga

Reaction score
I loved the live action parts of the Super Show. I actually would get mad at the cartoon for leaving them at a cliffhanger before it would come back on:smile:. I loved the cartoon when it was made into a coloring book even more...