80's Christmas Special Help

Cantus

Reaction score
I'm a child of the 80's and vividly remember a Sesame Street Christmas Special where Oscar felt unwanted and left Sesame Street, and everyone went in search of him (it may not have been Oscar, but I remember wide shots of him getting about with his feet out the bottom of his trash can). Does anyone know what this was called and more importantly if it's on dvd? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ssetta

Reaction score
You don't mean Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, do you?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
This does sound like Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, from the 70s, but it was Big Bird who got "lost" looking for the truth about Santa Claus (because of Oscar taunting him), and everybody went out looking for him.

BEAR

Reaction score
That was Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Cantus said:
I'm a child of the 80's and vividly remember a Sesame Street Christmas Special where Oscar felt unwanted and left Sesame Street, and everyone went in search of him (it may not have been Oscar, but I remember wide shots of him getting about with his feet out the bottom of his trash can). Does anyone know what this was called and more importantly if it's on dvd? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I'm not sure which one you are referring to. There's the more well known "Christmas Eve On Sesame Street" that's already been mentioned here, which is on DVD(check Amazon.com). But there was another lesser known special, which I've never seen, but have heard about.

I found a link to an article to it below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Special_Sesame_Street_Christmas

Xerus

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
I'm not sure which one you are referring to. There's the more well known "Christmas Eve On Sesame Street" that's already been mentioned here, which is on DVD(check Amazon.com). But there was another lesser known special, which I've never seen, but have heard about.

I found a link to an article to it below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Special_Sesame_Street_Christmas
I think I remember seeing that other SS Xmas special when I was a little kid. But only once though.

Oscar had a bad attitude throughout all Xmas Eve. So the adults decide to do something about it. I believe Maria dresses up like a tree and tells Oscar she's a Xmas tree ghost here to show him the true meaning of Xmas. I can't remember how they did it, but Oscar suddenly get his Xmas spirit. And they present him with a gift. A real live white cat. Surprisingly, Oscar loved the cute little cat and felt happy.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Whoa, that is some weird stuff. I didn't know that other special existed. I wonder if it's possible to find a bootleg of it anywhere...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I believe you're referring to "A Special Sesame Street Christmas" which came out in 1978. I haven't seen it, but I've read descriptions of that one on the Internet. I'm guessing it was never that popular in comparison to "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street."