1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

80's Robot

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by muppetperson, Sep 20, 2011.

1. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

It is hard to find a spot for this thread as it is Muppet related.Can anybody ID this robot?
    [​IMG]
    It is the exact robot that Disney have modelled the muppet 80's Robot on.The closest I can find
    is a Tomy Omnibot 2000, but that head is more circular.
  2. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Just to stir up controversy, I read somewhere (*cough* TP *cough*) that 80s Robot isn't technically a Muppet. Why would that be? Is it because he's not foam constructed nor puppeted (we assume) directly?
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Here's the thing...

80's Robot is an 80's robot. Stereotypical in every way, a parody. Robotic Robots (unlike humanoid andorids or cyborgs) generally had that look to them in the 80's... from R.O.B. to Short Circuit, to that one from the horrible takes you out of the moment sequence from Rocky 4 (all I'm saying... that's something that should happen in a Saturday Morning Cartoon, not a movie that's realistic fiction). Even the Honey Comb Robot sorta liked a bit like that (but with the Robot from Lost in Space type arms).

In fact, even before the character's official name was revealed, I knew there was something 80's throwback parody reference about him and the film (80's cleaning stuff up montage in the trailer). Just another 80's Jason Segal bit.
  4. muppetperson

A Muppet takes in many forms.It doesnt have to be foam constructed or puppeteered.A Muppet can be anything from a worm,book,hand puppet,full costume,or even dancing pipe cleaners or feather bowers.What about Vedaface or other Muppet robots?
  5. Beauregard

Yeah, presumably M.A.M.M.A is a Muppet? It might be because 80's Robot was not created by Puppet Heap.
  6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

80's Robot is a Muppet in that he's one of the prominently featured new non human characters in the film. Many of the Jim Henson Hour characters(in the Muppet TV portion) aren't cute, cuddly and furry or foamy but they're still Muppets.

And wait a second...that looks like the exact same robot. I smell lawsuit?
    muppetperson likes this.
  7. muppetperson

Wasnt he? Anyway, I wish someone could tell me the name/brand of the original robot in the picture.
  8. Beauregard

Wait, the robot in the picture isn't 80s Robot!??? I'm confused...
  9. muppetperson

No.The robot in the picture is a mass produced robot from the 1980's that I am trying to identify so I can buy one as it is pretty much what 80s Robot is modelled on, right down to the decals.
  10. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

If something is Muppeteered, i think it's safe to call it a Muppet. Welcome to the family, 80's Robot! (Do you play music? If so you're my new best friend...queues up "Cruel Summer"...)
  11. muppetperson

Oops!:oops: Sorry everyone.I just found out that the reason that the above picture looks like an exact copy of 80s Robot is because that IS a concept photo from Legacy Effects,who made him, and not an 80s toy.Sorry again for the confusion.The photo looked to me that it was from a toy catalogue.:crazy:
  12. Beauregard

*throws the book at you*
  13. muppetperson

:ouch:
  14. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh, hehe...was gonna say, lawsuit city since it looks identical to it
  15. muppetperson

I guess this robot is the closest robot that I will get?
    [​IMG]
  16. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I hear something about a Nintendo robot...
  17. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

R.O.B he was some sort of console or controller my cousin had him.....i hope we see some sorta of 80'S robot merch once the movie comes out
  18. muppetperson

Muppet Wiki says Nintendo ROB is the closest resemblance.Here he is:
    [​IMG]
    The head matches, but overall, I think the Tomy omnibot 2000 is.Maybe I will get both and swap heads.I hope official merchandise comes out.
  19. robodog

robodog Active Member

Definately an Omnibot 2000. There was an entire series of these things in the 80s. Spotbot, Hootbot, Crackbot, Dingbot and Flipbot. 80's Robot looks a heck of a lot like the bots in this line. I know way too myuch about old robot toys.
  20. muppetperson

Thanks, robodog! And welcome to the forum.