A beginning...

robinthecrow

Reaction score
I'll look into that Fozzie.

I have a question (saves making *another* thread for this already busy forum); for adding eyes and features to furred creatures, should I just stick to the fur direct, or cut the fur down to the backing and then stick? Or just cut all the way through the fur and backing and effectively glue the feature to the foam?

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
This may nt be true for everyone, but through my experiences I've found that sewing on features works best because it can provide the tightest connection. Bolting objects on and using wing-nuts on the other side is another option I like to use. But of everything on the list you suggested, I'd vote for sheering the fur as short as possible to clue the object to the most stable surface area.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
robinthecrow said:
Remember Pinky from the beginning of this thread?

Well... he has hair and some paper eyes (for reference while I work on his real ones) see him here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/maxwood/puppets/pinky00.jpg

David.
well your getting there, might i suggest that when working with short pile fur you sew by hand, it helps avoid that hard seem also it looks like your covering is a little to big, you dont need to make it so much larger than your foam understructure, the skin pattern should only be about an 1/8 of an inch larger around the edge , and maybe a bit larger in the lip area

neatness counts

good luck

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps answer the question or not, but I generally sew rather than glue features on. This has a number of advantages including the fact that it's not permanent and can be adjusted or changed later on.

Just a quick tip - you should always cut the backing of fur, but not the fur itself. :wink:

robinthecrow

Reaction score
October 20th (well it is here)

Latest *puppet* update; continued to experiment with fun fur and possibly putting together a fan rep of Trekkie Monster (because I just love him!) but something more significant has become of some fur I purchased last week. After around 30 minutes of cutting and hot-glueing(!) I managed to put together the head for a character which I am naming "Jez"

Check the head as it is right now and the concept drawing here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/maxwood/puppets/Jez.jpg

I had given a body a go but I seem to be having trouble with that. I need to sit him on a post and experiment alittle... now where did I put those pins....?

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Very Nice! I like the puppet even better than the sketch (which is, of course, what we aim for!)

10+

Where'd you get the long red fur?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Jez is cool!! I like it! Maybe you can make the mouth interior a different color so it doesn't blend so well? Way nice work!

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Jez was sort of an improvisation on a head I had made. I had the foam head, then added the foam mouth piece with the wondeful strength of cardboard (ha!) and then the idea of Jez came along. So the fur got added to it. So it was a bit late by the time I added the fur to change the colour of the mouth, ah well, nevermind.

As for sewing on features mentioned in previous posts, the nose is sewed on, as too will the sunglasses when I decide whether I want to use them or not... though looking out the window we aren't going to get any decent weather soon anyway.

Cheers for the feedback guys! Jez is currently on his way to getting a body. Leather jacket anyone? ;-)

Iokitek

Reaction score
Sorry can't help you there :smile: I love those sunglasses on him though. If you could you should try to leave them on.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Absolutely incredible! Great imagination ya got there. He needs a sax :cool: