A couple more alphabet segments

Ziffel

Reaction score
How about these two alphabet segments?

A cartoon with a girl named Gloria singing her "alphabet song" as her unseen instuctor puts it. There were at least two skits made with her singing the abc's. The one I remember best was where she suddenly races through l m n o p. The instructor says, "Slower." She then says l through p really slowly and he says, "Not THAT slow." After she finishes, he gives her some tips and says , "And I think you've got it, child." The other skit with these two I recall had the teacher say at the end, "Have a good day" and she says, "Roger." I couldn't ever make out what he said exactly after that but she replies with, " Sorry sir." He probably said something to the effect of , "Don't be cute."
Anyone know who did his voice?
The other one I was thinking about has a camera going all around the city and coming to the letters A to Z one at a time (the letters show up on the outside of buildings, grates, and other outside things). A boy calls out the letters as the camera zooms in on them. The same catchy music theme repeats throughout the segment (with one temporary switch about halfway through for a couple of letters). It went sort of like: do do do do do DO do do do do DO do. (Boy it's hard to type out in words trying to describe how a particular music theme sounds!) One thing I also found interesting in this one was the way the boy pronounces the letters f and x. (But to try to type how he said them would be even harder than the music!). He says them with emphasis for some reason.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Not at all. I appreciate that. I had looked at the previous alphabet threads, so this favorite letters thread is a cool one to also look over.

SesameMike

Reaction score
About that alphabet thread with the letters throughout the city.

The music temporarily changed at about the letter M, but I think it was the same music but with different instrumentation.

You can see a lot of dated things in that sequence. For example, they zoom in on a letter (M?) on a classic red-and-blue mailbox. Ever since about 1973 the USPS has colored its letter collection boxes solid blue with an emblem on the side. Some boxes still have "U.S. MAIL" embossed in block letters on the side. Or when they focus on a flashing "DONT WALK" sign (W?). Those pedestrian signals, made by Marbelite, were taken out of New York in the 80sand replaced with Wink-O-Matics, the kind shown in "The Muppets Take Manhattan" just before Kermit is zapped by a taxi. Even those have since been replaced by man/hand picture indicators. "Z" is from "Children's Zoo", presumably the one in Central Park.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this alphabet animation?

A girl is jumping rope with her friends. The jumps were steady and sounded like "plup, plup, plup...", almost as if you flipped your lower lip with your finger. With a rhythm she says:

"I got an A, in my Apple" (can't remember exactly)
"I got a B, in my..."

And does the same for every letter in the alphabet. For a few letters she precedes the object with an "oh, oh,"

At about the letter G, following one of those same pauses, the skipping rope halts and she sternly says "Get out of here, Freddy. This is not for boys." A boy then backs out of the picture to the right.

At the very end she says "I got a Z in my, oh, oh, I don't know!" The jumping rope stops. Then Freddy appears with a tiger horse and says "I got a Z, in my Zebra". The girl juping rope has some closing words that end in something like "and zebras are for boys" (???)

The scene then shifts to a montage of the alphabet and the girl quickly recites all the letters to a soft but lively piano piece.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I don't recall this one either. Was it made in the early 70's?

SesameMike

Reaction score
The alphabet animation with the girl jumping rope was in the 1971-72 season, at the latest.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
on the Noggin reruns there was a similer one and i won't go into the whole monolouge but a girl's jumpng rope and a boy says abcde there's an egg on my knee and the girl says fghij something something. last verse she says xy then there's z. (the egg hatches) now there's a lizzard on your knee and the lizzard dances and sings some song. this definitly goes back to the 1st season.

SesameMike

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
a girl's jumpng rope and a boy says abcde there's an egg on my knee and the girl says fghij something something.
The boy tries to push the huge egg off and does "K, L, MNO. It doesn't seem to wanna go."

I think the boy and girl did alternate lines. Another one of the boy's lines was "U, V, W. I didn't mean to trouble you."

The girl's last line was "X, Y, then there's Z. (egg instantly hatches) Now there's a lizard on your knee." This reptile has a hat and cane and starts singing/tap dancing, in rhythm with the earlier beat. "I dream, of Jeannie with the light, brown, hair. <something> as a birdie, <rest of line???>"