A Father's Love

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ok, so I haven't had much time for writing lately. This is evidenced by my leaving my Cookie Monster story more or less hanging. I hope to return to it someday but in the meantime, I missed writing and I really missed the characters from my Rowlf stories. Suddenly I had inspiration and I just had to write it out. So, enjoy a one-shot set post "The Next Step" that I felt like writing just because. I hope you like it.

A Father’s Love

“Dad! I’ve got amazing news!” exclaimed Rowlf’s daughter Annie stepping onto the porch of the Muppet Boarding House on a lazy summer afternoon.

“What’s that?” asked Rowlf reaching in and giving his daughter a peck on the cheek.

“Michael and I are getting married! Isn’t it wonderful?” exclaimed the young dog with a glow that could only be that of a girl in love.

“That is wonderful. Congratulations,” said Rowlf swallowing a lump in his throat that could only be that of a father about to lose his little girl.

Except this was different, though a grown dog, she had only just become his little girl.

“I figure Alex can be a ring bearer and walk with Ashley down the aisle and it will be so cute!” exclaimed Annie referring to Rowlf’s now one year old toddler and her own adopted daughter.

Rowlf listened as Annie chattered on excitedly about her plans but became lost in wistful thoughts as any father just receiving this news would, but for different reasons than most normal fathers.

Rowlf had only known his daughter at this point for the last year and a half or so. He was robbed of the joy of knowing Annie by his ex-flame from his piano bar days and Annie was also kept in the dark about her father. It wasn’t until her mother was on her deathbed that she revealed the truth and then Annie went to seek Rowlf out.

After a bumpy start due to Rowlf’s recent wedding to his wife, Wanda the Cat and Wanda’s subsequent pregnancy leading Annie to adopt the baby originally meant for Rowlf and Wanda, they now had settled into a lovely father/daughter relationship.

Rowlf’s life had once been so empty, now it was completely full. He settled into fatherhood and enjoyed his time with his daughter and also with his granddaughter. He enjoyed being able to watch his son interact with both Annie and Ashley. Life was complete for him.

Now his heart ached as Annie so cheerfully laid out her wedding plans before him.

“Dad? You all right, you didn’t respond,” said Annie suddenly pulling Rowlf out of his thoughts.

“Oh sorry hon, just thinking about how great this all is,” said Rowlf feigning enthusiasm.

It was great, he was happy for his daughter. She was not unlike himself in having felt alone for many years, even when her mother was still alive. And in turn she had become a wonderful mother herself.

He should have seen this coming a few months back when Annie called asking if he and Wanda could take Ashley for the evening.

“What’s up, hot date?” he had teased.

“Actually yes, his name is Michael, and he’s been coming in the bookstore every day for the last week, Nora finally got it out of him that he’s been really coming in to see me,” said Annie.

“Quite the detective, that Nora,” laughed Rowlf.

The first date with Michael turned into the tenth date with Michael and the twentieth and so on so forth. He was a nice young Labrador retriever who helped do some work for some of the residents of Hensonville with physical disabilities.

Rowlf knew it was getting serious when Annie brought Michael to dinner at the boarding house, not to just meet Rowlf, but of course, you don’t just bring anyone to meet the Muppet crew.

When Michael was not at all fazed by any of the goings on at dinner, including Gonzo’s wacky interrogations, the Swedish Chef’s burnt meal or the fact that Animal ate his shoes; Rowlf knew that Annie had found someone very special.

Still, nothing had prepared him for this day, this moment that his daughter told him that she would no longer be his. It wasn’t fair; he didn’t get enough time with her.

“Dad, I gotta go, but I just wanted you to be the first to know. I’ll keep you up to date on everything, I promise!” exclaimed Annie pulling Rowlf out of his daydream once again.

“Right, congratulations again sweetheart,” said Rowlf trying not to choke up. Annie smiled and blew him a kiss as she ran off.

“Ok, there’s time. We have time. It takes time to plan a wedding,” thought Rowlf to himself.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Well as it turned out there wasn’t much time. Annie and Michael wanted to waste no time in fact, so the wedding would be held in three weeks time. Just enough time to get a few small details worked out.

Not enough time for Rowlf. It blew past far too quickly. Soon he found himself nervously pacing in a small room at the church, the moment he’d been dreading since he heard the word “engaged” would be upon him soon. He’d be giving his daughter away.

Now he was starting to doubt how he handled things in the past. He should’ve gone after Annie's mother Regina when she left him all those years ago. He should’ve forced her to talk to him again so he would have at least known Annie when she was small.

“Are you ready dear?” asked Wanda standing at the door holding Alexander. Mother and son looked darling as Wanda wore a long purple gown with rose colored flowers and Alexander wore a pint-sized tux.

“Oh Wanda, you shouldn’t look that beautiful, it’s not fair to the bride,” smiled Rowlf as he took in the site of his wife.

Of course he made the right decisions all those years ago. If he hadn’t, he would have this beautiful feline standing before him holding their son.

“Well you know I went down to the dress shop and Caroline had this gown and I just couldn’t help it. I don’t think you have to worry though, I saw Annie and she looks just divine,” said Wanda smiling as she handed Alex to Rowlf.

“Well little man, you are going to break some hearts in your stylish duds there. Thank goodness I won’t have to do this with you for many, many years yet,” said Rowlf.

“You never know he could meet some lovely gal in nursery school next year and run off with her!” laughed Wanda.

“Da!” said Alex causing both of his parents to laugh.

“Excuse me Rowlf, not to interrupt your family moment, but it’s time,” said Scooter coming to the door.

“See you after, you’ll be fine,” whispered Wanda giving Rowlf a peck on the cheek and leading Alex out of the room to get him lined up to go down the aisle with Ashley.

Rowlf stood up slowly and started walking to the lobby of the church where the wedding party was lining up.

“Dad!” exclaimed Annie as she came from the other side floating like a cloud in her bridal gown.

“Annie, you look….you look beautiful,” said Rowlf swallowing a lump in his throat.

The music began to play and the wedding party began to march down the aisle. Annie grabbed on to Rowlf’s arm.

“Ready?” asked Annie.

“I should be asking you that,” said Rowlf.

“I’m as ready as I can be,” said Annie.

Everyone oohed and ahhed as Alex and Ashley made their way down the aisle and over to where Wanda was waiting to help keep an eye on them during the ceremony.

Soon it was time for Rowlf and Annie to march down the aisle. The Bridal March began to play.

Rowlf felt an overwhelming sense of calm about him as he led his daughter into the church. He was going to do his duty as a father, giving his daughter away.

Kermit caught Rowlf’s eye as they processed in and Rowlf winked at him. He knew his oldest friend was concerned about him, but he suddenly realized he could do this.

They made it to the end of the aisle where Michael was waiting with Father Marty. Rowlf took Annie’s paw and placed in Michael’s.

“Who gives this woman to this man in holy matrimony?” asked Father Marty.

In this moment, everything became so clear to Rowlf. He may have missed out on many important years with his daughter and special moments, but he was thankful and blessed to be able to share in the most important moment of her life, right here, right now.

“Her father, Rowlf, Rowlf the Dog,” said Rowlf in his typical way of stating his name.

“I love you dad,” whispered Annie.

“I love you too,” said Rowlf and then took his seat next to Wanda.

He was Annie’s father. Nothing in the past, present or future would ever change that fact.

The End.

Skye

Reaction score
Aww yay! What a sweet and beautiful story. I'm so glad you got the inspiration for this, Beth! I was so excited to see just a little bit more on Rowlf, Wanda and Annie. Absolutely gorgeous. :smile:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
That was beautiful Beth. Thank you for giving my character another lovely cameo.:smile:

Happy endings always make Father Marty smile. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
... Hey Beth. In case Claudia hasn't done this yet...
*Glomp! Thank you for this nice short story. Loved it all!
But what exactly is Ashley? Went back to Next Step, but I didn't find any good info on that character in the last tchapter. At any rate, thanks and hugs.

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
Aw, I may have to read about this character more.
Where can I read the first story about this Annie character?
:smile:

-snug-

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... You can find Annie making her debut appearance in Bethy's Rowlf's Stories Book 5: The Next Step.
*Whistles coily about something mentioned to the authoress.

Java

Reaction score
This was a great read Beth. Thanks for putting it up.