A girl named Mary

Princeton

Reaction score
Before I start, let me just say that this is pretty heavy subject matter. So, I'll completely understand if this gets deleted (I'll try to keep it as light as I can, though). I'm in college now, as some of you may know, and I take an acting class. Well, at this college, there's Acting 101 (the class that I'm in) and there's Theater 101. Well, there's a girl named Mary in the Theater class, so since I don't take that class, I don't see her hardly at all, but from what I *have* seen of her, she seems very nice. Well, today I did a bit of loitering with some of the kids from my class and Mary came too, and told me something that was very sad to me. She told me "Hey, Brian, my birthday's on Tuesday and I'm turning the big 1-9! Man, me and my friends are gonna get sooooo high that day".

Now, here's what is sad to me. When people grow up and go to college, what happens to them? What happens to the sweet, innocent babies that were, at one time, held in their parents' arms, and were cooed over, fussed over, and were believed by the parents to always be the same wonderful child that came into their lives? Now, I know that it's unrealistic to think that people should always be innocent, and believe me, that's *not* what I'm saying. What I'm saying is everyone should live up to the expectations of their contemporaries. And that means no drugs, no crimes, no sex before marriage, etc. So, what do you all have to say about this?

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with you, bro. *high-five*

That is very sad. If she continues on that path, she'll find herself very miserable.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Well I'm totally against drug use, so I'm with you in this one. I just think there are better things to do than intoxicate yourself.

BEAR

Reaction score
DanDanStrawberry said:
Well I'm totally against drug use, so I'm with you in this one. I just think there are better things to do than intoxicate yourself.

Here here!:excited:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, we all do are in differen't stage in our live and we all make mistakes and we all learn. It'a part of growing up and and being human. And somw of us learn faster then others. I've been fortunate to have friends who wouldn't let me get into that kind of truble. and I've never had any real presure to do so either.

Maybe she said it to get you're reaction or your opinion. I mean it's her desision in the end, but maybe she needed input from a good friend. I'm not here to juge her even though I disaprove of her actions. I guess the best thing to do is to tell her how you feel about it and let her know that you'll be there for her despite her desision.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Man, I worked at a theater for a few months, and I swear! I must've been the only one there that didn't smoke, drink, brag about the last time they got high, or any of that stuff. What's sad is that some of them actually thought I was weird because of that.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I'm proud to say I've never done drugs, but I was a heavey drinker for awhile. Somewhere in our teen years, a feeling of "rebelious freedom" jump starts our adrenalin, and when it's over, you kinda' look around dumb founded and say "Hey waitaminute, when'd I grow up?" It takes a strong person in today's society to "just say no", so while it's sad for Mary, you deserve a "great job".

MrsPepper

Reaction score
DanDanStrawberry said:
I agree as well. Man, we sure are quite the level-headed bunch at MC, aren't we? :smile:
For me, it's a spiritual thing. I only have one body and I am going to treat it well. Drugs abuse your body and your mind, and to me that's not right.

I think Vic is right about the freedom thing. I'm going through post-secondary education right now too, and a lot of people just lose control and do whatever. No one is telling them what to do, so they will do whatever they want to in celebration of their freedom. But most people don't realise that the things they are doing just end up harming themselves in the end. Stuff like drugs, skipping classes.... what's the point?

leliebel

Reaction score
Ok, counteropinion, bare in mind that I'm Dutch. :stick_out_tongue:

Honestly, it doesn't sound that bad. I mean she said she was going to get high for her birthday, that would make it a special occasion for her and not a regular think. And it also really depends on what she's going to do. Pot has a name, especially in America, but it's really not that dangerous. Not as dangerous as alcohol by half and less addictive than sigarettes. People are scared of it because it (temporarily) affects the brain rather than the liver for instance and I admit that the brain is a really stupid thing to affect. Alcohol just damages the brain, instead of affecting it.

I'm assuming from the way she said it, she not going to do any heavy stuff and if she is than she's probably not used to it and she's going to get really sick for a day or two and seriously rethink doing it again.

In my experiance, only people with underlying problems that is there reason for wanting to escape and take drugs develope a problem.

I don't think you need to worry just yet. See how it goes.