a guide to errors in Jim Henson: The Works

minor muppetz

Reaction score
as most of us know, the book Jim Henson: The Works has a lot of errors, so I thought it might be fun to start a thread pointing out the errors. here are some of them.

In the sesame street chapter, there is a brief section that mentions that martin p. robinson took over the role of mr. snuffleupagus in 1971. actually, that was the year that mr. snuffleupagus debuted. martin p. robinson took over the role in 1979. the book also fails to mention who originally performed mr. snuffleupagus (jerry nelson, from 1971-1977, and michael earl davis, from 1977-1979).

it mentiones that Bobby McFerrin was the guest in the pilot for the jim henson hour. actually, the pilot was innertube, which didn't have a guest (i think). of course, that pilot wasn't broadcast, and even if it was referring to the first broadcast episode as the pilot, louie Anderson was the first guest. (even if the bobby mcferrin episode was meant to be the first one aired, jim henson acknowledged that the science fiction episode was the first episode at the beginning of the show).

not sure if this counts as a mistake, but in the sections of jim Henson and Frank Oz in the muppet show chapter, there is no information on The newsman or george the janitor (all of their other regular characters, even marvin suggs, get a section). there are also many characters missing from the sections on dave goelz (muppy), richard hunt (gladys, mildred, bobby benson) and jerry nelson (thog, louis kazager, dr. strangepork, uncle deadley, fleet scribbler, vendaface....)

are there any more errors that you can think of?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
hmmm, I own this book, I'll have to check those things out