A guide to errors in Sesame Street Unpaved

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to reveal all errors and mistakes in the book Sesame Street Unpaved.

here are some:

in the section on Proffessor hastings, there is a picture of Dr. Nobel Price instead.

The section on Mr. Handford doesn't say anythin about him being played by two different actors.

Most of the live actors list the years that they joined the cast and the years that they left, but there was no mention of how long willy was on the show, what year david joined, or what year buffy left.

in the section on performers and characters they performed, it says that mr. snuffleupagus was performed byrichard hunt from 1976-1979. actually, he was performed by Michael Earl Davis, who wasn't even mentione dat all in this book, during this time. it is especially weird hat a mistake like this was made, since the section on Snuffy mentions that Martin P. Robinson took over the role of snuffy from jerry nelson, with no mention of any other performer.

the profiles on ernie, kermit and mr. snuffleupagus all mention multiple performers for them (but michael earl davis is not mentioend for snuffy). there is no mention of the original performers of elmo or telly monster.

it seems like the author isn't sure whether lefty is called "Lefty" or if he even has a name. In the section on Would You Like To Buy An O?, there is a quote from lefty, with his name mentioned, and the script for the golden an sketch has his name mentioned, but then this section asks "do you remember that slightly shifty-looking salesman?", without addressing his name, and in the performer section, he is listed as "The Salesman".

here are some observations, which may not really count as errors:

In the section on Gina, it says that her idol was Little jerry, but there are no pictures or character descriptions of Little jerry in the book.

the following performers are not listed in the performer section: brian meehle, michael earl davis, louise gold, jim martin, karen prell, kathy mullen, christopher cerf, jeff moss, and dave goelz.

the following characters do not have character sections: deena, pearl, chris and the alphabeats, little jerry and the monotones, frazzle, tito and J.P. (the mice from Miami Mice), hoots the owl, rosevelt franklins mother, heard head henry harris, smart tina, rodeo rosie, herbert birdsfoot, dr. nobel price, chip and dip, farley, athena, merry monster, ruby monster, aristotle, and leo monster. This list does not include characters mentioned in the list of characters based on celebrities, the main characters (who have sections in the Classic Moments chapter), or lefty (who has a section along with the lyrics to Would you Like To Buy An O?)

it would have been nice if the "whatever happened to...?" section included the years that those characters were last seen.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
it is especially weird hat a mistake like this was made, since the section on Snuffy mentions that Martin P. Robinson took over the role of snuffy from jerry nelson, with no mention of any other performer.

But Marty Robinson DID take over for Jerry Nelson though - at least for the front end and the voice. Jerry was doing Snuffy even up til 1978, 1979, during the Hawaii and Christmas Eve on Sesame Street episodes. Marty took over in 1980.

I've never even heard of Michael Davis. Are you SURE he wasn't Snuffy's rear?

Erine81981

Reaction score
There is a "Whatever happend to" secention in there. Its at the last part of other minor characters too. I have the book right here and I know what I'm talking about.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
There is a "Whatever happend to" secention in there. Its at the last part of other minor characters too. I have the book right here and I know what I'm talking about.
I know that. I didn't say anything about there not being one. I said that it would have been nice if that section gave information about the years that those characters were taken off the show.

As for Michael Earl Davis performing Snuffy, I have seen a thread on this mesage board that talked about Michael Earl Davis playing mr. snuffleupagus, and michael earl davis even posted some information in that thread. He said that he performed snuffy while jerry nelson dubbed the voice from 1976-1977, the he took over as voice as well as the puppeteer from 1977-1979. I do not know why Jerry nelson performed snuffys voice in Christmas Eve On Sesame Street (I assume that michael earl davis didn't perform in that special and wasn't just uncredited, although I don't think Jim Henson got a performing credit for that special).

Oddly enough, in that thread, he said that he performed Slimey from 1980-1981, a year after he stopped performing snuffy, and he originally performed forgetful jones, who I think made his debut in the early 1980s, and I know that he performed on Little Muppet Monsters.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Interesting.

Jerry Nelson did say that performing Snuffy caused problems to his back, so that could verify someone else playing the body while he dubbed the voice later on.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
More errors/ obmissions

another error in the book: it says that matt Robinson played gordon from 1969 untill 1971, and hal Miller played Gordon from 1971 untill 1973. Actually, matt robinson played gordon untill 1972, and Hal Miller played Gordon untill 1974.

Also, while there were sections on Countess Von Backwards, Forgetful Jones, The Dingers and Colambo, there weren't any pictures of them alongside their information.

some more obmissions:

1. the following human characters did not get their own sections: Mike, Petey, Tom, Hiroshi, Jamal, Angela, Sheldon, and Carlos. (and if you count characters mentioned in the section on actors who appeared on the show before they were stars, Rafael and Molly The Mail Lady were also excluded)
2. it would have been nice if the book mentioned why all human cast members left (if a human stopped appearing, it only mentions why if the actor who played that human died).
3. More of a nitpick than an error, but in the section on Ernie and Bert, there is a listing of their top 10 songs. it would have been great if this was done for more characters, like Grover or Kermit The Frog.

mikealan

Reaction score
More errors

I know some!

Richard Hunt was not listed in the performers section

It says that Susan and Gordon adopt Miles in Season 16, but we believe that they adopted him in Season 17

There's no biography about Simon the Soundman. It just says his quote.

There are no pictures of the classic cartoon "f-flea circus". It has the script but had pictures of Gutnag Jones' Travelling Flea Circus from Season 26. The opening line of this cartoon on the book was "A fantastic way to learn about the function of that fun letter, F." but on the "f-flea circus", the opening line was "Listen now to the letter F, (F!) because in the next few fragments, the letter 'F' will be featured. (F!)"

There are no lyrics to so many songs like "ABC-DEF-GHI", "I Don't Want To Live On the Moon", "Put Down the Duckie" and many others and no lyrics to so many other classic cartoons like Ten Telephoning Turtles, Pinball Number Count, Jazz Numbers, Capital I (or I In the Sky) and Lower-case N. Most of the scripts and lyrics of SS songs and skits are NOT official.

It also had no scripts for Kermit News: Hickory Dickory Dock and Ernie Presents the Letter 'U' For Ukulele.

The Brought To You By 'P' icon was on the script of the early skit where Kermit and Bob talk about frogs. It should be on Kermit News: Peter Piper's Pickled Peppers part of the Kermit section!

I can't believe this book never had biographies of my favorite characters like Ernie & Bert, Big Bird, Cookie, Grover, Oscar, Count, Kermit, Elmo, and a few others! :boo:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikealan said:
I know some!

Richard Hunt was not listed in the performers section
He was. Unless you are talking about performer Biographies.

mikealan said:
There's no biography about Simon the Soundman. It just says his quote.
yeah, this was weird.

mikealan said:
There are no lyrics to so many songs like "ABC-DEF-GHI", "I Don't Want To Live On the Moon", "Put Down the Duckie" and many others and no lyrics to so many other classic cartoons like Ten Telephoning Turtles, Pinball Number Count, Jazz Numbers, Capital I (or I In the Sky) and Lower-case N. Most of the scripts and lyrics of SS songs and skits are NOT official.
I don't really consider this an error. just an omission. But yeah, the songs chapter was too short. Also, none of the poems or animated songs have copyright dates or songwriter information.

mikealan said:
I can't believe this book never had biographies of my favorite characters like Ernie & Bert, Big Bird, Cookie, Grover, Oscar, Count, Kermit, Elmo, and a few others! :boo:
What do you mean? this book does have biographies of them in the classic moments section. yeah, they should have had biographies in the cast section, but the writer probably thought it wasn't neccessary since they had plenty of information in the classic moments chapter.

Drtooth

Reaction score
my nitpicks? Some of the Where are they now type Muppets should have been featured under the main cast, while many if the main cast should have been in the "whatever happened to," segment. Most noticably was fat Blue, who still appeared on the show by the time the book was published. I can't recall, but by the book's writing Buster the horse, Forgetful Jones, and Betty Lou were not featured in the show.

Also, they Muppet vegitables were under "what ever happened to..." dispite their constant presence on the show. Also, the Rhymies, the Alphabeats and Dr. Thad were listed (and unnamed) under "anything Muppets."

BEAR

Reaction score
They didn't list a lot of Muppet characters, such as Hoots the Owl, Joey and Davey Monkey. I don't think Humphrey and Ingrid were in there either. They are all far more important than stupid Sherry Netherland.