A joyous occasion (not really)

Princeton

Reaction score
My mom has been invited to a baby shower for the daughter of someone my mom used to work with (Debbie). She plans to go, but there's a slight catch: Kelly (the expecting mother) is 20 years old, unmarried, unemployed, and mentally unstable. To make matters worse, the father (who she had arrested) is a gang member and tried to strangle her. As soon as I found this out, I asked my mom "Why would you even consider going to this shower?" She said "Because I want to support Debbie". Granted, my mom does feel bad for the child, but this whole ordeal just spells trouble for me. Why celebrate the birth of a child who we know is going to have a terrible life? What do you guys think?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Well, although her beginnings might not have been the most wonderful, there is really no telling how the rest of her life will turn out. She is only a baby, and it is not right to blame her for any of her parents' mistakes. Besides, it is good for her to have the emotional, and frankly, financial support of those around her.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
It sounds to me like this Debbie woman could use support, so I think you're mam going to her babyshower is a really nice thing for her to do. And besides, a lot of people I know's parents are unmarried and/or unemployed. And they turned out to be nice people.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Princeton said:
My mom has been invited to a baby shower for the daughter of someone my mom used to work with (Debbie). She plans to go, but there's a slight catch: Kelly (the expecting mother) is 20 years old, unmarried, unemployed, and mentally unstable. To make matters worse, the father (who she had arrested) is a gang member and tried to strangle her. As soon as I found this out, I asked my mom "Why would you even consider going to this shower?" She said "Because I want to support Debbie". Granted, my mom does feel bad for the child, but this whole ordeal just spells trouble for me. Why celebrate the birth of a child who we know is going to have a terrible life? What do you guys think?
You are SO judgmental. :rolleyes:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
You are SO judgmental. :rolleyes:
Well maybe so but I think it's wrong to bring a child into the world in such a situation. If this woman wants to stay with this creep fine but why bring a child into the world liek this?

BTW Princton what do her parents think about this?

Princeton

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
BTW Princeton what do her parents think about this?
Well, her dad has passed away, and her mom is a very loving person, so while she is overjoyed to have a new grandchild (it's a boy, by the way) she still realizes that Kelly is going to need a lot of help.

BEAR

Reaction score
I agree. The baby is not to blame for anything and deserves the absolute best. I think it is wonderful and comendable that your mother is going to support her friend. That's what friends do. And I'm sure she needs all the love and support she can get given her situation.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I don't think anyone's blaming the baby it's the expected mother who's what he's bothered about. So am I.