A New Technique for Shooting the Legs of a Puppet

Dearth

Reaction score
The finished shot looks really good, as far as the movement goes. It's a fairly believable walk cycle. Might could use a tiny smidge more heel-toe roll per step.

There's something about the gravity of it, though, that seems a bit floaty.

I wonder if there is some way to support the hips on a bungee cord or similar apparatus, so that the weight is actually down on the feet and not defying gravity because of that puppeteer's hand?

I also have to ask, how often will the character be in a shag carpet environment?
Can this technique be translated to other floorings, and if so what? Linoleum tiles with the tracks hidden in the grooves? Long-bladed grass?

Anyway, those are just some first-viewing reactions. I love the fact that you cited Sy Snootles in its development. As a lifelong Star Wars nut, I should have thought of that, but I admit I was thinking more of Tom Savini's Fluffy creature from Creepshow, and the trick they did with the sliding flooring/carpet so that a second puppeteer could operate the feet.

Keep up the creative solutions!

Alex

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing, Sidebottom. I don't know if I could ever set something like that up, at least not int he near future. But at the very least it's something to think about, how the legs and the hips move in relationship to the rest of the puppet.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I really like this technique. I may have to steal -- er use -- it. :wink: