1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

A New Technique for Shooting the Legs of a Puppet

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Sidebottom, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Sidebottom

Sidebottom Member

2. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

The finished shot looks really good, as far as the movement goes. It's a fairly believable walk cycle. Might could use a tiny smidge more heel-toe roll per step.

There's something about the gravity of it, though, that seems a bit floaty.

I wonder if there is some way to support the hips on a bungee cord or similar apparatus, so that the weight is actually down on the feet and not defying gravity because of that puppeteer's hand?

I also have to ask, how often will the character be in a shag carpet environment?
    Can this technique be translated to other floorings, and if so what? Linoleum tiles with the tracks hidden in the grooves? Long-bladed grass?

Anyway, those are just some first-viewing reactions. I love the fact that you cited Sy Snootles in its development. As a lifelong Star Wars nut, I should have thought of that, but I admit I was thinking more of Tom Savini's Fluffy creature from Creepshow, and the trick they did with the sliding flooring/carpet so that a second puppeteer could operate the feet.

Keep up the creative solutions!

Alex
  3. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing, Sidebottom. I don't know if I could ever set something like that up, at least not int he near future. But at the very least it's something to think about, how the legs and the hips move in relationship to the rest of the puppet.
  4. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

very awesome
  5. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

I really like this technique. I may have to steal -- er use -- it. ;)