A new Website in Development

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Hi, I am attempting to create a website of my own. It is to dedicate some of my favorite stuff (although I haven't decided yet) BTW, How do I get started?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, for starters, you'll need someone to host the site for you, there are many hosts you can choose from: GeoCities, FreeWebs, etc... then you have to design your site, upload to your account, and voila!

rurulesunc

Reaction score
If you dont know HTML you might want to look into getting Dreamweaver. It helps you create websites with a more graphic user interface. If you are on a Mac I think there are specific Mac programs for the web as well.

My host is PowWeb. They arent very expensive and I have lots of space. I think its about $100 for the year with domain registration and hosting but I cant remember at this point. You can also check out godaddy.com I have heard that they also have great rates. Good luck with building your site. It can be both fun and tough but very rewarding when you end up with a product you are happy with.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
DreamWeaver works with Windows, though it too can be complicated if you're not familiar with Macromedia's software and programs.

Most web hosts, like the above mentioned, come with the option for you to simply choose from a selection of premade web templates for you to use for your site if you don't know much about HTML and coding.

rurulesunc

Reaction score
Very true. I had forgotten about those. Sometimes on the premade websites you need to look out for ads that they will put on your site, but plenty of people are fine with having the ads if the site hosting is free. It really depends on what you are going for.

There are a lot of options out there. I would suggest just looking around as much as possible and make sure that you find out the limitations of any site you would purchase. The free pages like what I remember Geocities to be (although that was in the 90s so it may have changed) would be a good starting place if you arent looking for a "professional" site. I only say that it isnt as professional because of the ads.