1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

A Question about Floyd and Mahna Mahna's Eyes

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Wafflesnacker, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Wafflesnacker

Wafflesnacker Member

Now I love these characters, a rocky guy and one that can only say Mahna and play the triangle!
    Look at Floyd, one thing that divides him from the others, his...
    Eyes! Ever looked at his eyes and said, are they just holes? I see no pupils or any signs of eyes! And his 'holes' close as well, always freaked me out. :sing:

[​IMG] [​IMG]Mahna Mahna has the same eyes, but they don't close. But still creep me out! Can someone explain these strange body parts of theirs?

But if there is no truth to these eyes let's just...
    [​IMG]

2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Yes Mahna Mahna eyes do close if you watch an original Jim Henson prefromance from the Muppet Show his eyes close.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  3. Wafflesnacker

Wafflesnacker Member

What do you think there eyes are?

4. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Their eyes are supposed to look like cool-dude sunglasses. That, somehow, can blink.

5. Wafflesnacker

Wafflesnacker Member

Well that's the Muppets for ya'.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  6. WalterFan1234

WalterFan1234 Active Member

Lol the blinking sunglasses, a new invention from Bunsen honeydew.

7. Wafflesnacker

Wafflesnacker Member

I'm also confused about Janice's uvula, why is her one dangling? And Dr teeth's glasses can move? :D

8. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

It dangles because, gravity. Dr. Teeth's eyes probably (this is just a guess) work the same way Oscar The Grouch's eyebrows move.

9. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Active Member

Yeah, it's a very abstract way of sunglasses I think; just another stroke of Jim genius.

[​IMG]

"Lenticular eyes - seen only at dramatic moments when he suddenly looks full into camera"

It's just used to give expression to foam and rubber.

The Janice thing was actually planned:

[​IMG]

LaRanaRene likes this.
  10. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're supposed to be blinking sunglasses. I love how abstract Muppet eyes can be. Like Kermit's eyes, or Chip's blinking pupils.

11. Whatnot1988

Whatnot1988 Active Member

I've also noticed that. Also (sorta OT here) on Crank Yankers, the Lou Villman from season 3 also had a swinging uvula (noticeable very time he exclaims "Wow!"), while on the other puppets uvulas were nonexistent...for some strange reason.

Anyway, it's all what the designer had in mind, I guess...

12. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

My theory is:
    There is a tiny string in the middle of the eyes that the puppeteer can pull down with their finger.
    If you look closely in this picture you can kind of see it:
    [​IMG]