A question about Rocks...

beccavox

Reaction score
hello all...

I just found this forum and am hoping to get some information for a meeting idea that my Liberal Arts department has had. It revolves around "Shift" in trends in education and I remembered a Muppet/Henson sketch from my childhood that involved rocks sitting around and then having to move, and they would all yell "SHIFT" and move a tiny bit.

My problem...I can't remember if I saw it on the Muppet Show, SNL (from the Land of Gorch?), the Jim Henson Hour, or anywhere else it might have been. I've googled it, I've YouTubed it, and asked as many non-muppet people as I can. So can anyone here help? Is there such a sketch? If there is, where is it? Or am I crazy?

Thanks so much in advance for any answer you can give me.

Rebecca (beccavox) :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Muppet Central. Sounds to me like you might be asking about one of Jim's early experimental films that aired on Sesame Street... The one with the rocks in the desert and the number 12? If so, then I think there might be some people here who could help you get a copy of that clip. Ask Boober_Gorg or others, they might be able to help. Hope this is what you're after and enjoy exploring the rest of the place.

ISNorden

Reaction score
hello all...

I just found this forum and am hoping to get some information for a meeting idea that my Liberal Arts department has had. It revolves around "Shift" in trends in education and I remembered a Muppet/Henson sketch from my childhood that involved rocks sitting around and then having to move, and they would all yell "SHIFT" and move a tiny bit.

My problem...I can't remember if I saw it on the Muppet Show, SNL (from the Land of Gorch?), the Jim Henson Hour, or anywhere else it might have been. I've googled it, I've YouTubed it, and asked as many non-muppet people as I can. So can anyone here help? Is there such a sketch? If there is, where is it? Or am I crazy?

Thanks so much in advance for any answer you can give me.

Rebecca (beccavox) :smile:
That sketch actually aired on Sesame Street; there were four of the talking rocks, each labeled with a letter. Two of them had the letter N (uppercase on one, lower on the other) and two had the letter S (likewise). They moved into different groups to show how things could be organized into categories. Does that sound like the clip you're looking for?

beccavox

Reaction score
that might be it!

Count mentioned the experimental film with the rocks (which I can't believe I remembered!), but I think the one I'm thinking of is the Sesame Street sketch that you've mentioned, ISNorden.

Is that available on DVD anywhere? On even on YouTube? I know my fellow committee members are ready to strangle me because I've based a whole workshop idea on a Muppet sketch I barely remember, but hey, it's better than their boring ideas!

Thanks so much for the answers!

ISNorden

Reaction score
Count mentioned the experimental film with the rocks (which I can't believe I remembered!), but I think the one I'm thinking of is the Sesame Street sketch that you've mentioned, ISNorden.

Is that available on DVD anywhere? On even on YouTube? I know my fellow committee members are ready to strangle me because I've based a whole workshop idea on a Muppet sketch I barely remember, but hey, it's better than their boring ideas!

Thanks so much for the answers!

I haven't seen that sketch anywhere since it was on PBS years ago, but someone who collects the more recent "old" episodes might have it; it aired sometime during the late 80s/early 90s.

beccavox

Reaction score
Rats...

I was afraid that it would be hard to find...I've plowed through pages on YouTube looking for it. But I can't complain, it was so much fun to see the old sketches (especially the Muppet News Flash!).

Thanks! :smile: